Impossible to examine items not in inventory?

Something is wrong with the new examine system. It forces you into pick up mode so you can’t examine anything before you pick it up. This is on the current experimental build as of writing

Could you specify which current experimental build? There’s sometimes a noticable difference between which one’s considered the “last” or “current” one on the download page, the GitHub releases and the one from the third party launcher.
You can find the version number you’re playing shown in the main menu on game start.

Edit:
I can not replicate this bug in experimental build 2021-11-26-1005 (version 04d1bce) - which is the current one as of this writing on GitHub and the game’s website: Pressing [e]xamine on a random item in both the [g] pickup menu and the [/] advanced inventory manager opens the item description just fine.

Did you compile it from the source directly?

cdda-windows-tiles-x64-msvc-2021-11-26-1005

As written above: I can not replicate this bug in the version you’ve mentioned.

What exaclty happens when you try to [e]xamine the item in the pickup menu?
Have you maybe rebound the key?
Or does the game crash or throw an error?

e to examine in pickup menu ought to work but the fun fact is you can’t examine things you can’t pick up because you can’t hover over them to begin with

pretty annoying

1 Like

This is still possible over the advanced inventory manager (hence I’ve listed both in my answer).

I still require more information to understand if this is bugged or not @4R53N1C.

It used to be possible in older versions. If this change was on purpose, it was a dumb change.

And it still is. → Pressing [ e ]xamine on a random item in both the [ g ] pickup menu and the [ / ] advanced inventory manager opens the item description just fine.

See answer in other topic why “picking up items with the examine menu got removed”:

So they just changed the way things worked entirely? Why?

Because: Picking up items through the examine menu caused numerous bugs in the past, that’s why it was removed.

what do you mean by examine? do you mean just look at the items description?