Illiterate learning?

Hello all! I have a quick question. So I randomized a survivor today and got a survivor whose profession is a Prehistoric Hunter. A trait that comes along with it is “Illiterate: You cannot read, Computers and books are off limits” so I was curious. How do I learn to craft new things? Is there a way to learn to read? Cause I use a purifier serum to get rid of that negative trait? Or is my character doomed to never read and be stuck with the things he can only currently craft and learn to craft but leveling up the skill? Thank you!

you don’t. Alot of things are off limits to illiterate characters. They can still get all their skill level unlock items but nothing that is book only.

You don’t have to learn recipes to be able to craft them. Just having a book with one in vicinity already adds entries into the craft menu. As much as I know you can use book recipes even without being able to read.

All skills can be learned without books and even though it would take a shitton of time, it’s still possible.

Computers are rather meaningless except for fluff and lore. Most of them serve as door openers and you can do it the straight way. The only things that can be done only using computers [so that you WILL miss them] that I know of are:

Launching and disarming nuclear missiles, activating amigara horrors, all operations with resonance cascades and decypher from labs, radio towers.

Not really many but still sucks a bit. For everything else you use acetylene torches, jackhammers, sonic resonators, explosives and shit.

In experimental if you have a friendly survivor with you, they’ll read for you.

Having a high computers skill is essential to getting CBMs and opening Barracks doors in labs.

You can use a jackhammer on the barracks doors.

Or walls… The only essential things computers affect that you can’t really do without it is CBM installations. But the point is moot, as its already been said you can get friendly NPCs to read any book to you in order to learn from it.

Or walls… The only essential things computers affect that you can’t really do without it is CBM installations. But the point is moot, as its already been said you can get friendly NPCs to read any book to you in order to learn from it.[/quote]

Computer skill doesn’t affect CBM installation. First aid affects it a LOT, mechanics affects it some, electronics affects it a little. Intelligence is the only stat that’s important. That’s it.

Oh, true. Damn I’m getting rusty. Point about reading still stands though.