How to deal with NPC?

Hello! I have a little question-how to fight with NPC? They usually have guns and I always ends like Tony Montana;) They have great aim and they are soooo fast. Even with good gun I have problems with them. Tips?

Shoot them before they shoot you.

I usually carry a very strong close combat firearm with me if I can. Ill let the approach me, and then shoot them if they mean to rob me or take all my stuff.

Most NPCs are harmless though. Youre letting a small outlier population skew your perception of NPCs, you racist.

Always check their weapons. If they’re holding a handgun, shotgun, flamethrower or submachine gun, then the safe range should be about 20 tiles. Their weapon range can’t go that far, so if you talk to them in that distance you can find out their intentions quickly. If you have a rifle you could start shooting them at that range if you choose to… if they have a rifle (and if you don’t) better hope their aim is bad or run like hell.

Just use fire. Never use precise or careful aim as that takes too many moves and they can move close or get the first shot in. You can steady your aim a little, but that’s about it.

They move in a relatively straight line, so if you align yourself properly you can set up a mine for them to walk on. I recall that worked when I was running from a hostile NPC.

All npcs should be approached at high speed in a large vehicle. If you time it right you can have a brief conversation with them to determine their intentions and either swerve to the side or mow them down.

PROTIP: to kill the npc shoot it until it dies

Warning: that may not work.

I will never forget the time I unloaded 6 shots with a shotgun (00 ammunition) on an NPC from 1 tile away and it didn’t die.

[quote=“G.E.C, post:8, topic:11164”]Warning: that may not work.

I will never forget the time I unloaded 6 shots with a shotgun (00 ammunition) on an NPC from 1 tile away and it didn’t die.[/quote]

It’s because NPCs have a limb-based hp system, like the player.

They can take blows that would one-hit a cyberdemon, as long as they don’t get hit in the head or the torso.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:9, topic:11164”][quote=“G.E.C, post:8, topic:11164”]Warning: that may not work.

I will never forget the time I unloaded 6 shots with a shotgun (00 ammunition) on an NPC from 1 tile away and it didn’t die.[/quote]

They can take blows that would one-hit a cyberdemon, as long as they don’t get hit in the head or the torso.[/quote]How feasible is system shock? Making massive 1-shot damage fatal?

It would affect only a handful (if that) of weapons.
Accuracy of hits is measured in “missed_by” - 0.0 means perfect hit, 1.0 and more means total miss.
If missed_by <= 0.4, the hit must target the head or the torso and thus massive damage will kill just fine.
If missed_by > 0.4, the hit will target limbs and deal at most 100% of the listed damage. Even .50 cal and equally powerful rivtech shotguns (holy fuck I never realized they’re so overpowered) will not overkill an average survivor with 100% of the damage.

It would only really affect things like anti-tank weaponry, which can deal 100+ damage on a grazing hit.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:9, topic:11164”][quote=“G.E.C, post:8, topic:11164”]Warning: that may not work.

They can take blows that would one-hit a cyberdemon, as long as they don’t get hit in the head or the torso.[/quote]

… I want doom monsters in game now. In fact a hell on earth mode that replaces the normal spawns would be amazing. Maybe I will try modding.

Hell yeah! Do it!

I will have to start small, but I think the hardest part will be making enemies with guns that do not instantly rek the player

Well not neccessarily.

They will need to be ‘hybrid’ monsters, with somewhat different abilities due to the change in games.

Make the Cannibals have poorer accuracy and carry less ammo. Give them weakened melee attacks, and add more buffs for the player, and make healing easier and more ‘magical’.

The real issue is the demons. How do slow moving plasma ball of fire? It would need to be like its own creature, and thats scripting. Theyd need longer cooldowns and melee attacks as well, and ammo in the base CDDA is much more precious than in Doom.

Doom doesnt pretend to be even a little realistic, and you need to reach a compromise between the powertrip of Doom and the hardcore-ness of CDDA

Yeah, will probably just start with some easy monsters. In any case this thread has been derailed enough.

demons are melee fighters, cacodemons have slow moving plasma ball (and they fly!) and hell nobles have some sort of slow mowing green fireballs often called plasma

and creating lost soul demon and chaingunner is not that hard, everything else is harder
and doom RL do not have slow moving projectiles too