How to become a contributor?

What qualifications do I need before I can become a contributor, and what responsibilities would I have?

You need to understand how to use git (just basic stuff that is in every tutorial). If you only want to change small things, the github online UI is enough.
If you want to contribute code (and not just jsons), some basic C++ ability and the ability to set up a compiler that compiles DDA will be required.

Responsibilities are:
Testing own contributions before sending them for mergetesting
If the contribution breaks something and the fix is simple, following up with a fix.
When changing some mechanic already in the game, explaining why is that change good

While our code standards nowadays are much higher than ~2 years ago, this doesn’t mean bad code will be rejected, just that you will get a lot of suggestions on how to improve it. Those are generally just “change tabs to 4 spaces each”, "spacing has to look like if( fun( var ) ) {", “this name/description is misleading, you should mention x and y” and “you can replace this block with this code: {new code here}”.
Most important thing is not making big PRs (300+ lines changed). Those will be rejected unless you’re really good at explaining why it can’t be smaller. It’s better to submit big changes in 2 or 3 PRs.

Been meaning to ask (for a while now) why the reason on not using tabs?

I guess it would look odd if the code contained both spaced out and tabs at random based on who perfered what when that chunk of code was made…

[quote=“Xfin, post:3, topic:12344”]Been meaning to ask (for a while now) why the reason on not using tabs?

I guess it would look odd if the code contained both spaced out and tabs at random based on who perfered what when that chunk of code was made…[/quote]Probably a formatting standard that was chosen and set arbitrarily. In an alternate timeline, someone is asking why we’re using only tabs, rather than leading spaces.

Apologies for lack of clarity.

What qualifications do I need before I can receive merge rights, and what responsibilities would I have?

I think merge rights are the headmins/headcoders, AKA it’s not something just handed out to people.

You’ll have merge rights to any branches you create for yourself, but the main project is controlled by the upper management of the people in charge of the whole thing. A good baseline rule of this: if you need to ask how you’d become recognized as one of those in the headmin group, then you’re probably not even in the position to be considering it.

aye.

i would guess that knowing how to interpret and error proof any of the languages is required.
and then demonstrating good judgement, taste, caution, and observence of protocol.

Youd have to be an active part of the development, submitting requests, correcting errors, ansld perhaps even organizing projects or ideas.
a degree of public recognition.

any of the usual things that makes a leader. or underling to a leader, if thats your take.