How long is the flu supposed to last?

[table]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]So I made a new character on a new world in 0.C 6051, and the poor sap caught Influenza on Day 2. I stuck him in a basement (one of the good ones with a wood burning stove and a room with two beds), and that’s where he’s been for 5 days surviving on a diet of cough syrup, water and the perishables from a very well stocked grocery store three overmap squares down.

It’s day 7 now and there’s no indication that the flu is going away or even decreasing in intensity.

How do I deal with it? Fights aren’t really a problem, since I’ve got a pile of nailboard traps, but there’s a Shocker Brute out there. I know because I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw it four squares away out a window. It disappeared somewhere, but I don’t want to have to fight Influenza and a Shocker Brute at the same time.

So how long until the flu goes away? How does the game decide when it does? If this guy’s going to stay sick for the rest of the year then I’ll just reset, but I really don’t want to.

P.S. The first zombie I killed after getting the flu dropped a flu shot. Also, a shopping cart procured from the aforementioned grocery store is sitting one square away from the stairs to the basement holdout and once a day the game helpfully informs me that it’s battery died. The message says “The Shopping Cart’s battery dies” despite it obviously not having one. It even happens when the cart is aboveground and my character isn’t. It’s not a problem, just thought it funny enough to mention.

I think the flu shot only prevents the flu from happening.

Royal jelly will fully cure it, but it’s a semi-rare item that can only be aquired by raiding a giant bee hive or laboratory.

It’s best just to consume cough syrup at a moderate amount and get plenty of rest, water and food… Just like in real life.

The duration of the flu isn’t set, but of course it won’t take a year to cure. So I suppose it’s best to ride it out.

[quote=“Rot, post:2, topic:13149”]I think the flu shot only prevents the flu from happening.

Royal jelly will fully cure it, but it’s a semi-rare item that can only be aquired by raiding a giant bee hive or laboratory.

It’s best just to consume cough syrup at a moderate amount and get plenty of rest, water and food… Just like in real life.

The duration of the flu isn’t set, but of course it won’t take a year to cure. So I suppose it’s best to ride it out.[/quote]

I have, very rarely, just found royal jelly laying around in basements. I think getting your health score higher will help your character get better, see if you can find some vitamins and take them when you wake up and before you go to sleep. Is there anything that could be lowering your characters health? Cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, and a steady diet of junk food can all cause a hit. So can certain malfunctioning bionics a few professions (like Cyber Junkie) start with.

1 Like

[quote=“proxiehunter, post:3, topic:13149”][quote=“Rot, post:2, topic:13149”]I think the flu shot only prevents the flu from happening.

The duration of the flu isn’t set, but of course it won’t take a year to cure. So I suppose it’s best to ride it out.[/quote]

I have, very rarely, just found royal jelly laying around in basements. I think getting your health score higher will help your character get better, see if you can find some vitamins and take them when you wake up and before you go to sleep. Is there anything that could be lowering your characters health? Cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, and a steady diet of junk food can all cause a hit. So can certain malfunctioning bionics a few professions (like Cyber Junkie) start with.[/quote]

Those are lab basements, which spawn lab related chemicals and equipment.

Just keep your ‘health’ modifier high and you should be healthy in no time.

1 Like

Thank you all for your information. I have seen the Royal Jellies, but never knew they could cure flu. Can they also cure other diseases, like the Cold, or Anemia?

He finally kicked the flu on Day 11, but sadly the Shocker Brute was actually (at last count, anyway) two Shocker Brutes, three regular flavor Brutes, three Necromancers, and a Hulk.

It never fails to surprise me just how damaging Shotguns can be, but sadly Necromancers.

[quote=“mentos046, post:5, topic:13149”]Thank you all for your information. I have seen the Royal Jellies, but never knew they could cure flu. Can they also cure other diseases, like the Cold, or Anemia?[/quote] Royal Jelly cures absolutely any disease par from “debuff” effects like being On Fire!