How does armor vital coverage work?

I was running around with knee pads and found some leather chaps. 65% coverage vs. 4% coverage. But knee pads have a 90% vital coverage.

Does this mean you have a 4% chance of hitting a part of a leg covered by the knee pad, and if you do, then you still have a 10% chance of getting hurt real bad? Or does it mean that 90% of a leg’s vital area is under a knee pad?

Now that I think of it, 4% is really low. Coverage should be about 10% of each leg, or about 20% of the front, and cupping the front sides of each leg. Maybe someone who knows should look into the knee pad description.

Maybe the overall coverage problem is that it thinks knee pads are only 4 inches long. I’d be very surprised if something like that was ever made. A kneecap is about 4 inches. An armored knee pad designed for work is 6-9 inches long with thick neoprene extending an inch beyond that. My own knee pads, middle of the road quality about 6 years ago, are 6 inches wide (kind of a minimum for adults) X 10 inches long, with an 8 inch hard rubber non-slide armor. Heck, they’re almost 4 inches deep!

Sorry. Went a little afield there.

I think the way you hit vitals/nonvitals doesnt depend on worn armor and only on stats, melee skills and weapon skills and bonuses and encumbrances and such. So chaps will protect you more against weaker enemies whose hits land on non-vitals but stronger enemies would aim more for vitals and against them kneepads would be better. I might be wrong so you just better consult code on that if you care but thats how I imagine it working and it feels pretty close to how it is in the game.

Ah, so is hitting vital areas is what dissection gives us? Knowing to shoot for the gap under the arms. Or for chaps, those bits normally hidden by the horse. That makes sense. Thank you!