How do you clean your wound?

I started with the bionic soldier so I could get used to some of the game mechanics

Now I’m trying to branch out into other classes, but twice now I’ve been infected almost immediately (for some reason it’s putting evac shelters between houses). Is there any way to clean your wound this early in the game? I’ve tried soap and water (just asks me if I’m sure I want to eat the soap), Alcohol (you just drink it), Bleach (again, are you sure you want to drink this), Ammonia (again with the drinking), a lighter just tries to burn stuff, and a nearby fire and knife (can’t find a way to heat the knife).

Is there a clean wound menu I’m missing somewhere? If not it really feels like I’m being punished for something I can’t control and none of the common sense solutions seem to work.

And before you say you shouldn’t clean your wound with bleach, the correct method is to dilute the bleach with water first (and in real life you can use it do disinfect water too using lower concentrations) but again the game system doesn’t provide any way to do this.

Activate the knife while possessing a fire source, use disinfectant, use first aid, or wait until infected and then use antibiotics.

or jet injector with healing hemicals

I’ll try the knife+fire source, does a lighter or internal toolkit work or do you need a “nearby fire”?

Disinfectant, first aid, anti-biotics, and the Jet Injector are currently too rare to rely on in the first 2-3 days.

Normally you’d take to the hills during this time until your archery/throwing/whatever combat skills are higher, but when you start right next to houses sometimes that’s not an option.

I’d be willing to accept trade pain+poisoning+damage with something like bleach, and if the knife+fire is reliable enough that might be an option (assuming it works with a makeshift knife or piece of scrap metal)

its possible to use hotplate or soldering iron too alslo welder work

[quote=“xpyder, post:4, topic:6513”]I’ll try the knife+fire source, does a lighter or internal toolkit work or do you need a “nearby fire”?

Disinfectant, first aid, anti-biotics, and the Jet Injector are currently too rare to rely on in the first 2-3 days.

Normally you’d take to the hills during this time until your archery/throwing/whatever combat skills are higher, but when you start right next to houses sometimes that’s not an option.

I’d be willing to accept trade pain+poisoning+damage with something like bleach, and if the knife+fire is reliable enough that might be an option (assuming it works with a makeshift knife or piece of scrap metal)[/quote]

Lighters,match books,any source of heat would work,cauterization is rather dodgy though,only works 40% of the time,internal toolkits don’t work for cauterization,Disinfectant and first aid kits aren’t too rare,just search every house’s bathroom,basements ocassionally have the things as well.

This has actually happened 4 times across my playthroughs and each time I blitz through every house I can find (usually about 6-7 before I succumb) and very few of them have first aid/disinfectant but I usually find at least one with bleach, ammonia, or high proof alcohol.

I don’t mind the First Aid/Disinfectant being far superior to the other methods, I have a problem with there being almost no way to deal with it even through a painfully difficult tradeoff.

If cleaning an infected wound with with a hot knife gave 2+bars of damage and 50 pain but worked 80% of the time, and bleach gave 75 pain + poisoned you (or gave a new “bleach poisoning” disease that included nausea) for a full day most people wouldn’t do it except when they have no other option and infection would still be a huge thing to try and avoid, but wouldn’t immediately mean you need to suicide and reroll.

[quote=“xpyder, post:7, topic:6513”]This has actually happened 4 times across my playthroughs and each time I blitz through every house I can find (usually about 6-7 before I succumb) and very few of them have first aid/disinfectant but I usually find at least one with bleach, ammonia, or high proof alcohol.

I don’t mind the First Aid/Disinfectant being far superior to the other methods, I have a problem with there being almost no way to deal with it even through a painfully difficult tradeoff.

If cleaning an infected wound with with a hot knife gave 2+bars of damage and 50 pain but worked 80% of the time, and bleach gave 75 pain + poisoned you (or gave a new “bleach poisoning” disease that included nausea) for a full day most people wouldn’t do it except when they have no other option and infection would still be a huge thing to try and avoid, but wouldn’t immediately mean you need to suicide and reroll.[/quote]
Have you checked the bathrooms? I usually always leave the disinfectant because it’s everywhere.

@Tawarochir
Which version are you on? I’m on bead0b2 from 6/10 and it’s nowhere near that common.

[edit: had the date wrong]

Old Stable version. Take a stroll through suburban bathrooms, you’ll find plenty.