How do I get into firmly-sealed gas tanks at gas stations?

Stab the bottom end with a screwdriver and stick a 60L tank under it. That’ll work great I’m sure.

think they make them a little thicker walled than that.

hole is unfortunately jaged enough so the fuel sprays all over you and everywhere else, barely getting any in the can XD

Ignoring the pressure that would probably have the person impaled by the stabby object they used to make the hole. I think those tanks have pressure enough, that if you could stab through it. The object would be pushed out so fast it could possibly kill. Perhaps maim.

??? A normal strength person with a screwdriver could punch a hole in the industrial pressure graded tank meant to survive 10+ years of general wear and tear while under constant pressure?

Any amount of pressure the tank is under means the Government mandated safety requirements are going to be that much more. The walls that much thicker and stronger.

… Rereads… Oh yes IF you could stab through… Probably if it was under any real pressure

Don’t think they keep them under any real pressure though, but bottom of tank would have hydraulic pressure of fuel above it enough to make an absolute mess if the hole isn’t clean.

I think it would still be similar to stabbing into a out door pool Plus gas pressure buildup. The weight of the liquid is enough to cause the object to possibly push back enough. It may be harmful. Keep in mind gas will build pressure on its own. If you fill a jerry can all the way to the top. It will burst. That is why you have a certain safety level assigned to most gas containers to show the user when to stop filling the container.

You could use an electric drill and the right drill bit to bore a few holes in the bottom of the tank in order to drain it, but you better have a funnel and a couple 200L drums handy with enough volume to hold the tank’s contents, or you will make a mess and waste all the fuel inside.

Pressure will not matter with this method, and sparks/flames should not be a problem either if you are careful, as fuel is only really flammable when it is a vapor and there is sufficient oxygen present. Drilling near or at the bottom of the tank will allow you to drain all the fluid with a very very minor chance of fire, especially if you drill carefully and slowly.

That’s why fuel tanks are welded on when full of liquid (usually water!) because ambient temperature and oxygen levels are a direct correlation on how easy it is to light gasoline.

But if it were diesel, that would be a snap. Diesel takes very high temps (relative) to ignite. You have to hold a high heat flame to it to light it.

I am curious though, since this is an above ground tank, why not just unbolt the drain? Current federal regulations concerning above ground fuel tanks must place the tank in a sealed, cement walled structure that is able to hold the entire contents of the tank. I’m sure that would be true in the near future as well.

I don’t think COOL fuel produces any NOTEWORTHY pressure. I was referring to the possibility of air pressure being used to make pumping easier… but now that I’ve typed it out Im feeling increasingly less sure thats actually a thing… where did I get that idea from?

MMMmmm Daeros makes a really good point. Be it a boat or an above-ground fuel container if its capable of holding gas/fluid it will have a drain port that can be on bottom easily if not already there. Don’t those come with like a chain alarm or something?

I have a jerrycan in my shed half full. It bloats up, be in heat of summer or cold of winter. Kinda wonky. Looks like a fat guy in a size too small suit lol

how much pressure does it build up? A couple PSI would be about what I would expect at most. No more than 10 PSI or so surely.

hmm short google looks like gasoline vapor pressure is definately a thing, mostly from moving fuel and is strongly influenced by the fuels temperature. lowering temperature lowers pressure. Apparently its because its a compound mixture made of lots of different stuff. Didn’t see anything about how MUCH pressure, but apparently it can bust stuff if its allowed to build too much. I suspect this is mostly a problem in completly sealed containers during heat waves.

Look for the vapor pressure tables for gasoline. It should have a specific pressure at a specific temperature.

In order to deform its container, the pressure on the interior would have to be higher than atmospheric pressure. It could potentially be fairly high.

Get a CBM that improves your lung strength. Then get a loooooong straw.

Yep. What Nameless said. Also a thing. Gas goes bad. This day and age they no longer make gas with stabilizing elements or chemicals added to make it last. It is now left up to the customer to deal with. Gas will go bad after several months if not treated.

I use Stabil. Average product in the states and can treat standard gas to last for about 1-2 years. Add a spoon of it for every gallon of gas. It helps. Plus a squirt of engine cleaner(I think it is alky-hall) and should be used sparingly. Only in cold weather too. Keeps crap from freezing.

Yes. Sadly corn, which likes to hold moisture goes bad faster than the fuel originally designed for the purpose. And pulls water into the fuel mixture. Go figure.