How do I avoid getting blown away by NPCs?

I’ve been playing Git master with both static and dynamic NPCs enabled. Most NPCs are harmless enough, or don’t go any further than robbing me (so long as I don’t resist), but occasionally one shoots me without warning, even while I’m unarmed. So far, these ill-tempered NPCs have always killed me in one turn with a shot to the head or torso. Apart from avoiding all NPCs, what can I do?

Of the two NPC types (static and dynamic), is one more likely to be violent?

Perhaps this is just a balance issue yet to be addressed, since the occasional segfaults evince that NPCs are still a work in progress.

Turn them off.

Static NPCs are fine actually, as far as I can tell. Just look out for bandit camps and avoid them unless you’re well equipped.

Dynamic NPCs turns this game into an ASCII DayZ.

BEST THING EVER HOLYSHEIT SIGGED

[quote=“ChristopherWalken, post:3, topic:7539”]Static NPCs are fine actually, as far as I can tell. Just look out for bandit camps and avoid them unless you’re well equipped.

Dynamic NPCs turns this game into an ASCII DayZ.[/quote]FUCK YEAH!!! CDDA with dynamic NPCs on IS just like DayZ!

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:5, topic:7539”][quote=“ChristopherWalken, post:3, topic:7539”]Static NPCs are fine actually, as far as I can tell. Just look out for bandit camps and avoid them unless you’re well equipped.

Dynamic NPCs turns this game into an ASCII DayZ.[/quote]FUCK YEAH!!! CDDA with dynamic NPCs on IS just like DayZ![/quote]

Whelp, this thread has finally convinced me to download the latest experimental and be the best hardened scavenger who is a psychopathic cannibal that I can be.

Yeah, the psychotic cannibal for few days, then a psychotic cannibalistic corpse after some random dude wakes you up with a point-blank shotgun headshot. In your favorite “safe” basement.

I find the secret is to leave traps everywhere (Especially land mines, assuming you wear powered armor or have 8+ trap skill, otherwise just lots of less explosive traps) around your safe house; randomly around the building, doors, windows, hallways, stairs, your workshop, your bed, I’ve woken up to random wandering murderhobos/moose/zombears exploding so many times I started wearing earplugs to sleep.

NOTE: Use ONLY bear/crossbow/shotgun traps around your workshop/bed, or you will probably follow my example and wake up to a face full of explosions and shrapnel (Which is similar to a shotgun blast to the face) as it kills everything in the room.

I keep seeing people posting about what’s wrong with NPCs but making friends with one if you’re a born politician seems to work fine for me. In fact, the only problem I’ve run into is crashing the game after spawning lots of them with debug.

NPCs who let them talk to you and thereby leverage your speaking skill are not as dangerous as the ones who shoot before you get a chance to talk.

I assume that having high speaking doesn’t make NPCs less likely to shoot first. That wouldn’t make much sense.

Nowdays I always play with Static NPC’s off Dynamic on, they add a splice of fun and chaos to the game.

Always be careful entering buildings with NPC’s in them in fact better then being careful just don’t go in. Always carry a shotgun, always carry a rifle. If you see an NPC with a flamethrower, avoid. I got into a good habit of checking every NPC’s armament before approaching them.

Off-subject, but are there randomly-generated “NPC buildings” like the “bustling trade centers” in the faction menu now?

What, you wanna live forever? :wink:
Honestly I like the random danger that it brings to the game.