Do people play with or without static and/or random NPCs?

The Wiki said that NPCs default to being off, because they are buggy and crash the game often. Is this still the case? I was quite keen on the idea of NPCs.

Well i am not aware of game ending crashes in the experimental but i recommend you brace yourself for game ending shots to the face if you activate random npc spawn.

I receive some debug messages, but not game breaking errors. I suggest static npc on and random off.

From what I’ve seen, they’re a lot better. The only ‘problems’ with NPCs now are that they’re kleptomaniacs and if they have decent equipment they are very, very dangerous.

But that’s kinda good, because it encourages you to keep your loot stockpile out of sight and to be ready for a fight against something much more dangerous than the zombies. For the first time I’ve actually wanted to train my Speaking and Bartering skills so I can convince normally hostile NPCs to leave me alone and even sell me some decent gear. And as of yet, even in the experimentals, I haven’t seen a single game-crashing bug and I’ve seen a marked decrease in strange behavior like fighting with a lighter, forgetting to reload, and continually switching wielded items.

So in short they make the game difficult but (mostly) not through bugs or anything artificial. They’re very good and I feel like both random and static NPCs are worth turning on now, as they add a lot to the game. I commend the devs on how much they have improved them in the past couple of months (dunno if it was a group effort or one specific person).

Just a little question. How mutated a person need to be to random npc turning hostile?

There is no such thing. Mutations add to ugliness, but there is technically speaking no limit.

Oh ok, I thought that turning it off meant no NPCs (very new to this). Will leave random ones off then for now.

Actually, both the Random and Static NPC options default to “Off”.

Does that mean there would be no NPCs in the game at all if I left both options off?

And what is the difference between the Static and Random options?

[quote=“ianpwilliams, post:8, topic:7897”]Actually, both the Random and Static NPC options default to “Off”.

Does that mean there would be no NPCs in the game at all if I left both options off?

And what is the difference between the Static and Random options?[/quote]

That is correct. With both options off, no NPCs spawn at all.

To the best of my knowledge:

Static NPCs --> Spawns one NPC in your starting location, and allows bandit camps and refugee centers to be generated in your world.
Random NPCs --> Spawns many NPCs who wander throughout your world.

Ok thanks for that. So it seems to be a case of taking a risk bugs-wise if going for NPCs on, or playing it safe with no NPCs, which is presumably how the game was intended, seeing as both NPC options default to off. It does surprise me though, because from what I’d read about the game (albeit briefly), I got the impression that character interaction was a big part of the game, and that the zombies “are not the only threat”.

Either way, I’m guessing that having NPCs on would make the game dramatically different? And if so, in what ways?

And do many people here play with one or both of the NPC options on? I’d be keen to get some general views on the game from people in the various camps.

They do crash the game though — shooting you point blank with a shotgun.

And do many people here play with one or both of the NPC options on? I'd be keen to get some general views on the game from people in the various camps.
This has been discussed before, actually.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=8256.0

And another recent topic regarding NPCs:
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=7998.0

Thanks again.

Did an option get added to control the number of random NPCs? I note in that first thread that people thought there were far too many NPCs with the random option on, and I’m sure I would feel the same way, only wanting to see one (or a group) every now and then. Otherwise it would have to be static only for me I think.

And would it not be possible to avoid game-ending problems using manual saves and/or a system of rotating auto saves (if the game supports that)? Certainly if an NPC shot and killed me for no reason then I’d be fine with reloading, assuming the NPC wasn’t going to be programmed to do it every time.

[quote=“ianpwilliams, post:12, topic:7897”]Did an option get added to control the number of random NPCs? I note in that first thread that people thought there were far too many NPCs with the random option on, and I’m sure I would feel the same way, only wanting to see one (or a group) every now and then. Otherwise it would have to be static only for me I think.

And would it not be possible to avoid game-ending problems using manual saves and/or a system of rotating auto saves (if the game supports that)? Certainly if an NPC shot and killed me for no reason then I’d be fine with reloading, assuming the NPC wasn’t going to be programmed to do it every time.[/quote]

1. No, I think.

2. Yes, it is possible, quick save before talking to the NPC; in case of problems, close the game, start it and load your save. As for programming, I am not sure. I did the quicksave-trick four times with one npc today — and each time he was hostile to me.

Interesting. Think I’ll have to give it a try with both NPC options on to begin with and see how it goes.

And in the meantime I’ll have a look in the suggestions section to see if anyone has suggested the option of controlled numbers of random NPCs.

I do like keeping both on, especially in challenge worlds with 0.1 loot spawns. AND when I have hobo/crackhead/tweaker characters who need to trade with NPCs to get their fix.

I used to play with static on and dynamic off, right up until i spawned a new abandoned character and mr happy pink npc exploded me with a grenade 5 seconds in :(.

I play with NPCs of all kinds switched off. Initially this was because of bugginess, but even after most of the issues were fixed, I stuck with it, because I like to play as the last (moth)man on earth, as it were. Of course, this comes with challenges of its own, like the time a bunch of police robots apprehended me and slapped cuffs on me (I let myself be arrested, thinking maybe something cool would happen like I’d get dragged somewhere, but I just got left alone, then got zapped repeatedly as I tried to walk around. The bots were waiting for policemen who would probably never arrive.)

[quote=“Chaz, post:17, topic:7897”]I play with NPCs of all kinds switched off. Initially this was because of bugginess, but even after most of the issues were fixed, I stuck with it, because I like to play as the last (moth)man on earth, as it were. Of course, this comes with challenges of its own, like the time a bunch of police robots apprehended me and slapped cuffs on me (I let myself be arrested, thinking maybe something cool would happen like I’d get dragged somewhere, but I just got left alone, then got zapped repeatedly as I tried to walk around. The bots were waiting for policemen who would probably never arrive.)[/quote]Wouldn’t it be hilarious if a bunch of zombie cops responded?

I play with both active :smiley: static because there are the refugee center and them remind me “the walking dead”'s survivor communities.Random because when i finish the battle against zombies,then…i start my battle against hostile survivors +__+

I had this run with no monters, and only NPCs (which I edited to make them hostile) it was pretty fun, running around evading bullets and being robbed, and still not being able to find a gun. The thing with this playstile is to make the item spawn almost inexistant, which I did not so it’s not that hard and fun. Looting though.