How can I load solids into a container?

Looks like Cataclysm only allows liquid transportation between containers, or am I wrong? How can someone not able to load some solids into a 3L glass jar, such as an uncokked TV dinner? That was weird. I used the /, and it told me only liquids can be transferred; but I disagree with that, because in real life you can load solid into containers. It saves your space for having some breads and a jar in your backpack at the same time.

Why would you want to do that? In real life loading stuff into a container isn’t going to make it smaller. The containers are for liquids. In really life if you have a solid you need to transport, just chuck it into your backpack, not extra contains needed.

Nvm, I get what you’re saying, you just trying to save space.

If you want to carry a rigid container and some stuff, it takes up less space to put the stuff in the rigid container than to carry the container and the stuff separately.

Yes… YES… How come we can’t put rigid items in containers? Everything has an assigned volume anyway. BUT. Then again we run into certain advanced logic issues:

• storing multiple different items in the same container, such as a pistol, empty magazines, and potato chips.
  • storing empty containers within larger containers. You put an empty 0.5L jar inside a 3L jar. It should still have ~3L of space left… BUT then again, you should just fill the 0.5L jar first before putting it inside the 3L jar if you want to store stuff in the 0.5L jar.
  • item detection during crafting
  • on a rare occasion: damage distribution. Should items inside containers be able to sustain damage? Are all containers equally protective?

Stuff gets complicated :expressionless:

Being able to store a bunch of a stuff in a duffel bag, and be able to drop it when necessary would be awesome. I’d love to have a “hunting” backpack and a “house raiding” backback, each with different gear.

A lot is involved here. For example, a hard object like a jar will take up the same space regardless of contents, whereas a soft backpack can be folded when empty to reduce space consumption. Then there is the issue of a hard jar not necessarily accommodating every hard object even if the jar is technically larger. Can’t fit a piece of 3’x3’ sheet metal into a 3L jar in RL, but the volume of the sheet metal is less than that of the jar. Lots of stuff at play here and it has been done in games like 7.62. Dropping heavy backpacks filled with non-essential gear at the start of a battle was always a strategy.

I can’t figure out how to drop a backpack full of stuff. I can take off the bag an and then drop stuff, but it is multiple actions.

There is currently no way to do so. You can drop the bag, and if you’re over the inventory limit, random stuff gets dropped (for free, time-wise, I think) until you’re below the limit again. Problem is the “random” bit.

The ability to do what you’ve described is very commonly requested, but it’s not as easy (to do well) as it seems.

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:5, topic:13684”]Yes… YES… How come we can’t put rigid items in containers? Everything has an assigned volume anyway. BUT. Then again we run into certain advanced logic issues:

• storing multiple different items in the same container, such as a pistol, empty magazines, and potato chips.
  • storing empty containers within larger containers. You put an empty 0.5L jar inside a 3L jar. It should still have ~3L of space left… BUT then again, you should just fill the 0.5L jar first before putting it inside the 3L jar if you want to store stuff in the 0.5L jar.
  • item detection during crafting
  • on a rare occasion: damage distribution. Should items inside containers be able to sustain damage? Are all containers equally protective?

Stuff gets complicated :|[/quote]
There are already a lot of logical problems in CDDA… Lots if foods are generated with a container, such a plastic bag or an aluminum can. However, once you unload the thing inside, you will never be able to put it back into that can again. EVER.

And also, have you found that a cardboard box of uncooked TV dinner’s volume is 1L, while an uncooked TV dinner’s volume’s 1.5? How can that poor huge dinner fits into such a small box??? If that dinner can fit inside that box, why cant I “compress” it to that size?

So conclusion: TDDDNTOE, huh

I just tested it to make sure, if you drop a backpack and other things, it only takes the time to drop the backpack.