How can I create a campfire and do survivaly things?

I don’t want to build a large fireplace. Just a little campfire where I can roast a squirrel or something like that. How can I do that?

Also, can I start a fire by doing something like rubbing two sticks together – you know, like a survival thing?

Also, what’s the best way to trap/catch animals for food?

Thanks!

1 Like

First off, the newbie questions thread is here: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=14.0

But to answer your questions:

1: You can set anything flammable on the ground and start a fire on it, as long as it’s not indoors. If it’s indoors you’ll set the whole place on fire, but outdoors just drop a piece of wood on the ground and it’ll burn just fine. Just don’t stand too close to it without some way of dealing with the smoke, like a filter mask.

2: You can make a fire drill with two skewers and a 6-inch string. You can get skewers by applying a knife to a 2x4, and a 6-inch string by either disassembling 3-ft strings from windows, or assembling them from thread/animal sinews. You need 2 survival to make it, though.

3: You can find patches of traps here and there, and try your hand at deactivating them to get the raw materials for the trap for yourself. If you don’t have high trapping, there’s a significant chance of hurting yourself, though. Alternatively, the least resource-intensive trap would be to make a stone shovel, make a bunch of wood spears and dig spike pits all around. Your best bet is to get a good weapon and chase after animals yourself, though. After a few days there’s no shortage of hostile wolves/bears/moose throwing themselves at you, so if you can reliably kill those there’s no need to go after the skittish ones.

And to answer the question about vehicles in the other thread, I presumed those were vehicles that ran out of gas and were subsequently abandoned on the streets. I mean, no reason to abandon one in perfect condition. Alternatively it’s a gameplay conceit.

1 Like

I find your answers more than adequate. Thanks!

1 Like

We really need some little campfire thing/ring made out of rocks.

Yeah, this would be very handy. While you can kinda do it yourself in game, taking up a 3x3 area, I hoped there would be a construction item for a campfire:

Stage 1, Shallow Pit.
Stage 2, Campfire (requires 8 rocks and either a log, 3 heavy sticks/2x4’s or 7 splintered wood).

[quote=“Tilion, post:5, topic:4620”]Stage 1, Shallow Pit.
Stage 2, Campfire (requires 8 rocks and either a log, 3 heavy sticks/2x4’s or 7 splintered wood).[/quote]

THIS.

+1

Yeah, this would be very handy. While you can kinda do it yourself in game, taking up a 3x3 area, I hoped there would be a construction item for a campfire:

Stage 1, Shallow Pit.
Stage 2, Campfire (requires 8 rocks and either a log, 3 heavy sticks/2x4’s or 7 splintered wood).[/quote]

That’s a very good idea.

I usually just gather up 40 rocks and build a fully fledged fireplace, in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah but ain’t nobody got time fo dat.

Shift Z, / rock, enter, 40, enter, now you can build your beautiful fireplace!

ONLY NOOBS CHEAT HUUUUUUHHHH

I don’t find it fun to walk around collecting 40 rocks. So I just save myself the time. I don’t like grinding in games, so I don’t do it.

WAIT! Before you go make a campfire make a camp fire make sure it is isolated!
Otherwise nearby brush may catch fire and toast you. (I’ve done it before with lighting bushes on fire to make a insta fire to cook meat.)

Why not just carry a brazier around?

Not that i actually do that, I often just light nearby bushes on fire and roast a few pieces of meat before it becomes a raging inferno, If i still need more food I just move to the next bush.

[quote=“Fish, post:14, topic:4620”]WAIT! Before you go make a campfire make a camp fire make sure it is isolated!
Otherwise nearby brush may catch fire and toast you. (I’ve done it before with lighting bushes on fire to make a insta fire to cook meat.)[/quote]

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:15, topic:4620”]Why not just carry a brazier around?

Not that i actually do that, I often just light nearby bushes on fire and roast a few pieces of meat before it becomes a raging inferno, If i still need more food I just move to the next bush.[/quote]

Smokey the Bear must love you guys XD

Ikr.

Does fire actually help you to keep warm in cold weather? I remember once my character was feeling very cold while standing at a fireplace.

I kill zombies and burn their stuff. Cuts down on the item clutter as well.

Yes, but you may need to build a bigger fire.