Hills, Mountains (I know, I know...bare with me)

First off: My suggestion isn’t concerning Z-Levels, so don’t bite my head off lol.

Uh…hills and mountains. Kind of like how we have caves made out of rock, BUT HUGE! HUGE!

(Yes, double emphasizing)

I want to be able to dig a dwelling out of one, so they should be pretty damned big. Like a 3x3 on the map. They would be just huge solid rock spawns. Hell, they could even randomly have caverns/caves in them.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO ADD SO I’LL JUST PUT THAT THERE. XD THERE IS YOUR SOLUTION. GO CARVE BIG 3 BY 3 HOMES OUT OF THE MOUNTAINS.

[center][size=36pt]STRIKE THE EARTH![/size][/center]

You know, not every single thing has to be compared to Dwarf Fortress. I’m sure most of us have played it; we know it exists.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:2, topic:4411”]http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO ADD SO I’LL JUST PUT THAT THERE. XD THERE IS YOUR SOLUTION. GO CARVE BIG 3 BY 3 HOMES OUT OF THE MOUNTAINS.

[center][size=36pt]STRIKE THE EARTH![/size][/center][/quote]

[size=8pt]By that logic, why play or develop DDA at all since you could just play other RL that already have features you would like. Eh? Eh?! Haha.[/size]

I frequently wonder the same thing to myself.

See, the thing is, Dwarf Fortress has a pretty cool way of dealing with elevation that clearly fits its theme of designing a fortress, and so the clunky controls for it and the complex lack of readability are forgiven. But here, we’re not building a fort (yet). We’re just a guy, wandering. I agree, we should have mountains, but we need to wait for the Z-levels to be improved (which is happening) before that could happen. So, we wait patiently for the people with the magic keyboards to do their thing.

And then we ask for mountains and cave networks.

Well that’s odd, how come inadequate hasn’t declared this the dumbest idea ever and screamed about how it will kill the game for noobs. Oh well, must be on vacation or something.

I kinda like this idea. Mountains would be fun to explore, but I agree that it should wait for z-level implementation in order to get the most out of it.

You can usually walk over a hill. They’re not infinitely tall walls of solid rock.

I agree, wait for Z-levels. Even just elevating them one step with a ramp would be awesome for the game.

Z-Levels aren’t even being worked on, IIRC. No telling how long it’ll be til’ those are implemented.

Still, even if they aren’t being worked on, all this could be would be either yet another “travel to another dimension using a stairwell/ramp” style thing like basements or function like craters, which doesn’t make much sense for mountains.

That’s not even what I’m suggesting.

Just huge areas of solid rock. Like, kind of how caves are made from solid rock, but huge and maybe without open areas.

So, why can’t this wait for z-levels? Apart from blocking players from certain areas, this doesn’t affect the gameplay much. Besides, I don’t think New England is that mountainous anyway. Maybe hills, but those are hardly rocky.

[quote=“kilozombie, post:8, topic:4411”]You can usually walk over a hill. They’re not infinitely tall walls of solid rock.

I agree, wait for Z-levels. Even just elevating them one step with a ramp would be awesome for the game.[/quote]

People…people…for all we know, z-levels my never even be a thing.

No, they will be. The devs want z-levels. Even if they aren’t being developed right this second, they’re going to be developed eventually. Putting in mountains and hills would result in something that doesn’t act like a mountain, just a solid wall of rock. Z-levels would be the only way to make mountains and hills interesting and not just a weird stop-gap measure. Trying to have mountains and hills without z-levels is like trying to have jam and peanut butter without bread.

In an open-source game with hundreds of contributors and one of the most active githubs in existence?

Fat fucking chance we’ll not see z-levels.

I would think in a game of this scope and magnitude, where it would make sense to see more than 1-story buildings, z-levels would be more of a priority. Especially over a mod manager or tiles.

No matter what you think of how the dev team is handling things, adding in hills and mountains without adding in z-levels doesn’t work. I mean, we aren’t adding in one story buildings without z-levels because they won’t work properly, and buildings with more then one story even with the current z-level system would have more impact on the game then map areas where there is a wall of stone or dirt.

…wut?

And it was just a suggestion, no need to insult my idea.

Everyone, please, calm the fuck down.

This is getting into the area of simply stating why the idea shouldn’t be implemented at all and insults, rather than suggesting ways to alter it in.