[help wanted] Pls, point me the right way understanding c++

I’m so excited about this game, and played for many years. As a javascript developer, I strongly want to make contributions for this game, well, in code. But there is a huge mountain standing in my way – c++. So I need some suggestions about how to learn c++ and make contributions at the same time. Many thx for your help :slight_smile:

Here I have some key questions:

1. Is there any way I can quickly understanding the outline of the codes? Too many files for me to read one by one, a diagram would be helpful.

2. Is there any ebooks good for newbies to learn c++?

Javascript syntax is heavily influenced by C, so you’re already partway there. Poke around the github repo, particularly under src. Maybe it’ll already make some sense.

The official C++ site has a Get Started! page. If you wanna get some history, C’s canonical reference is by Kernighan and Ritchie.

1. I’d suggest going to cdda discord and asking questions about the code there, there are channels for that.
  2. [offtop] https://i.redd.it/1fl5yi6bbpzz.png [/offtop]. Seriously, though, I’ll leave the answering to someone who know actual good answer.

i’ll tell you right now that my experience when jumping into the project headfirst with C++ was nil - i had 2 or 4 college classes on programming that happened to be in C, but my main experience was in Lua. I think you’ll be fine if you pick the right project (not too hard) and ask the right questions on discord.

Thx, I think those link would help me soon :smile:

Haha, my path on c++, have long way to go

Thx, you give me the confidence!

3 Likes