Healthcare skill will not progress under any circumstance

No mods or anything. I noticed it was stuck at 0%, proceeded to read Big Book of First Aid, and I noticed that it did this

healthcare bug

I tried debugging a skillpoint into it to see if that would work, no dice. Any help would be appreciated.

Version?

0.E-9229-G6902525-DIRTY

I posted about it on git and apparently the same issue has happened for vehicles, as well.

Iā€™ve never had a big bug like this on experimental before. Does anyone know if my save file will ever be usable again? Is there a way to fix it through save file editing, or something?

Save editing should be doable. However, if you donā€™t know why it happened the first time you donā€™t know if it will happen again. Iā€™ll take a look see.

It wasnā€™t just health care, there were two or three other bugged skills as well. I put a fixed version of the .sav file for ā€œLemmyā€. Extract and copy over old version in your save folder. I put it on the github because itā€™s easier that way (itā€™s tiny, so hopefully nobody will object).

Thank you so much! CDDA has the best community for a game Iā€™ve ever experienced, tbh.

Hello,

Iā€™m also experiencing this problem, It is not exclusive to health care skill and itā€™s pretty game breaking because it comes back even after manual fix.

Version: I returned to CDDA 2 days ago and pretty every one of my characters had some of their skills bugged so not sure if the bug was there before but itā€™s there at least since Wednesday.

• if the skill is bugged you can see it in the save file, itā€™s exercise value will be a big negative number
  • it can reset your progress back to zero even if you gained some exp%.
  • you can ā€œfix itā€ by editing the exercise value but it can just bug out again

Example from attached picture: character had a bunch of bugged skills including melee, fixed them by manual edit and continued playing, gained exp again. Got into a long fight with mi-go, checked my melee skill and it was reset back to 0%, exercise value in save file returned to itā€™s bugged state.

No idea what triggers the bug, I was just doing the usual early game stuff, nothing fancy.

Looking at that number, itā€™s almost certainly an overflow error.

At some point skill learning (and some other stuff) was ā€˜refactoredā€™ by 1000. Iā€™d guess that some code was messed up during that process. You could probably ā€˜downgradeā€™ to an earlier version of CDDA. Has anyone worked out exactly what build it stops working at? Iā€™m on 11398 and I havenā€™t noticed any problems yet (but I havenā€™t been playing much recently).

not sure what that means but is there any way to prevent that from happening?

Iā€™ve made a fresh install and upgraded to 11421 and it keeps bugging out :nauseated_face:
Doesnt seem like a lot of people are experiencing this, could it be related to my hardware or something?

I suspect itā€™s more likely because youā€™re using a more recent version than other people. Personally, Iā€™m not going to update to the latest build before itā€™s fixed.

code bug. only thing you can do is play on older version or just wait till it is fixed. thereā€™s a report about it already on github.

Hello again,
Iā€™ve found a way to reproduce the bug : do any exp gaining activity while you have 1 focus and Albino trait. Iā€™m still not sure if Albino is necessary or just provides the constant focus drain for the bug to occur.

Iā€™ve tested it on 5 different characters and it always bugged out but only when I had the Albino. Iā€™ve made a couple of non Albino characters, drained their focus to 1, did some exping and it didnā€™t bug out. I still think itā€™s related to focus not the trait per se but itā€™s just a guess.

If anyone feels like testing it on their setup you can do it in 2 min: make Albino character wilderness start, forage a few bushes to get a few survival %, wait on the sun for a hour to kill your focus, start foraging again with focus 1> bug should kick in after a min or so of foraging> survival exp is back to 0 and save file is corrupted (big negative exercise value).

1 Like

This might be confirmation bias, but all of my characters typically have albino, and I can now confirm I had three instances of this happening with different characters. I ended up just reverting to a build from a week ago, has not happened since.

Yeah, albino modifies focus directly, which caused it to become negative, and caused problems with the skill gain calculations.

I have this bug with a character who does not have the Albino trait. I started with Heroin Addict, which causes Focus to tank from opioid withdrawal.