Healing without sleep

Well I assume most of the damage a character gets in CATA is animal and zombie bites.
You can’t really “rest off” 2 or 3 bars of HP that probably need cleaning and dressing.

Which is what OP wants apparently.

You can’t really “rest off” 2 or 3 bars of HP that probably need cleaning and dressing.
But it is already working that way in the game, you can rest off the damage with sleeping! But my suggestion is not about that. The change i asking is the possibility to rest to heal any time i want.

Also i like Valpo’s suggestion, that would be much more realistic.

Ok.
We make a command between “wait” and “sleep” called “rest”.

It heals better than just waiting, but not as good as sleeping.

It requires/changes depending on what kinda tile you are on.
Ex. Chairs, beds, car seats are good.
Rubble, sewage, water is a no-go.

Don’t expect much healing though since you would theoretically rest for a few hours (reasonably). Maybe more if the situation allows.

How about that for brainstorming?

I think there’s no need in such command. The best way IMHO is to make your body slooooooooooowly regenerate over time no matter that time of day is now like it’s happening IRL. And provide some bonus to healing when sleeping (again, like IRL) because of no stress to damaged part and so on like in Valpo post.

I dug up my reply from the last time this sort of thing came up.

Kevin was supportive of slowing healing but making it a constant rate, and if that gets traction I won’t oppose it.

[quote=“KA101, post:2, topic:6587”]KA101 leaves a loaded syringe marked “Very Fast Regeneration mutagen”

There you go. Professional courtesy, no charge. :wink:

Very Fast Healing is a 20% chance to regain one HP every half hour. Regeneration, the current top-of-the-line healing mutation, is a 50% chance. You’re asking for a 100% chance to regain roughly 3-4 HP per half hour.

[spoiler=HEAD OF MUTATIONS’ WARNING] In clinical trials, use of Very Fast Regeneration has been linked to player-side skill rust; aversion to risk; the delusion that one is able to squat behind a chest-high wall and excrete bullets from one’s body; the delusion that eating a first-aid kit will instantly repair bodily damage; hives; rashes; and dry mouth.
If you experience an erection lasting for more than 4 seconds while using Very Fast Regeneration, discontinue use and seek medical attention immediately, as this may be a sign of a rare but serious side effect.
Very Fast Regeneration contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause teratogenic effects in laboratory animals.
Quitting Very Fast Regeneration NOW greatly reduces your cancer risk.

[/spoiler][/quote]

Resting with reducted healing or slow natural regeneration, i like both idea.

i think this makes sense, the human body does heal over time, day and night…

I support going the constant heal way. In order to keep the current balance, the body should heal in 2 days minimum when getting enough sleep (as has been said already, the lore supports it and this is the current state of affairs).

So we could remove the current heal system when asleep and instead make it give a chance to heal something every hour.
When sleeping or resting, the chance increases.

some math: assuming 8 hrs per day asleep, 8 hrs low activity and 8 hrs high activity, it should take 2 days to full heal.
Sleeping gives 60% of that, resting/low activity 30% and high activity just 10%.

So by scaling to two days:
48 hrs to heal 10%*5 (0.5) bars on high activity, or 48 hrs per half bar. This could be a 1/48 chance to heal half a bar each high activity hour.
48 hrs to heal 30%*5 (1.5) bars when resting (but awake), or 16 hrs per half bar. This can be a 1/16 chance to heal half a bar each resting hour.
48 hrs to heal 60%*5 (3) bars when sleeping, or 8 hrs per half bar. This translates to a 1/8 chance to heal half a bar each sleeping hour.

To top it off, high health and regenerative mutations should accelerate these rates.
Also, taking medicine should give much less hp than what it does currently, but it should also significantly acceletate the healing rates.

PS. These rates are much slower than the regen mutations, so there is no chance of antagonizing them.
PS2. Yes, i know i am proposing a new health system (and so lots of work). Question is: Is it better than the current? Do you like it?

I think I’m liking this idea. I’ll probably see if I can’t throw together a fairly quick PR sometime soon to swap the systems around.

If you want total realism with more coding, make a “resource stock” that gets replenished when asleep and depleted when regenerating and doing high-energy actions like sprinting. Out of nutrients to fix your body with? You’re getting no regeneration and pain due to secondary power sources kicking in if sprinting, powerlifting, etc.
Of course, this means “less sleep” line of mutation should either increase the resource cap and replenishment, or slow down depletion when awake, with “Tireless” making it either replenish all the time, or never decrease in any way from the cap.

[quote=“Barhandar, post:29, topic:7476”]If you want total realism with more coding, make a “resource stock” that gets replenished when asleep and depleted when regenerating and doing high-energy actions like sprinting. Out of nutrients to fix your body with? You’re getting no regeneration and pain due to secondary power sources kicking in if sprinting, powerlifting, etc.
Of course, this means “less sleep” line of mutation should either increase the resource cap and replenishment, or slow down depletion when awake, with “Tireless” making it either replenish all the time, or never decrease in any way from the cap.[/quote]

Those were written for the current system and would require a rewrite. Tireless in particular is intended to reinforce its holder’s fragility by reducing the amount of natural healing.

Combined with elf-a’s decaying and radioactivity, tireless is a truly awful mutation.

Combined with elf-a’s decaying and radioactivity, tireless is a truly awful mutation.[/quote]

Elf-a was never properly stabilized in-lore. It’s not a very good category, particularly if you don’t have Robust Genetics.