Hair Feature

So I had this idea.

In moving towards more realism, how about a hair growth feature.

Basically, each day your hair grows by a random amount. When it gets too long, there is a random chance for “Your hair covers your face!” which decreases perception for that turn. Long hair also contributes to head warmth.

So you’d need to cut your hair whenever it grew long. Probably with scissors or a pocket knife. A new mirror object would be used to inspect how long your hair is. You could also 'e’xamine your hair somehow.

The alternative to cutting your hair would be to use a hair tie, which can be crafted from string, sinew, thread, etc.
Flavour objects could also spawn such as pretty ribbon for girls, or hairclip.

The idea is mainly flavour, but offers minor gameplay significance and an added sense of realism. There could be bonuses to morale if you cut your hair nicely, possibly based on tailoring skill (“You feel good about your hair.”). Hair could be kept and used to craft thread. Such an addition would also warrant the inclusion of hair colour during character gen.

This is my idea, which I plan to implement in my own version.

Good or bad? Your thoughts.

…Not bad, though making thread from human hair? I’m not sure how legitimate that is.

And I’m not sure how well that’d mesh with the code… Could make mutations go with it too XD

“You reload your sewing kit with hair”

Finally, I’ll be able to grow out my apocalypse beard.

The ability to slowly cultivate a survivalists beard, 3 foot mohawk or wolverine do would be fun.

I like the idea, but i think there are lots of more important things to work on first. So my Survivor Hair will have to wait.

Here’s two problems I see.

1: The face thing.

This is ever only rarely a problem, and with a helmet or anything of the sort on it keeps it back and it doesn’t get in your face.

2: Length.

This seems to not be common knowledge. Now for me, personally, my hair has been at around the same length for two years now, no cutting. Similarly to other kinds of hair like arm hair and eyebrows, head hair has a limit to it’s growth and once it reaches that limit it doesn’t get longer, so your hair can’t just keep growing endlessly.

Thanks guys.

Don’t worry. All the suggestions I make I plan to implement myself!

I like the tracking of hair/beard lenght and its colour. It is flavourful. And there could be some more or less useless mutations to go with it.
I, too, like the idea of cutting and using them as thread. Its silly and is just right for those crazy survivalist characters.

[quote=“Iron Foot, post:7, topic:3875”]Length.

This seems to not be common knowledge. Now for me, personally, my hair has been at around the same length for two years now, no cutting. Similarly to other kinds of hair like arm hair and eyebrows, head hair has a limit to it’s growth and once it reaches that limit it doesn’t get longer, so your hair can’t just keep growing endlessly.[/quote]

I’m not a coder but I don’t see it being difficult having a MAX_LENGTH and MIN_LENGTH parameter…

This is glorious. I’d offer up thicker beards giving the face minor warmth, (dunno how accurate that is!) but that would suddenly give an obvious, if minor advantage to male survivors that females won’t get. I’d LIKE differences, but that leaves nothing for females. >>
Solution; beard mutation?

Nothing says fun like bearded Otaku lady. I can’t even begin to think of being chased by a furry hairy ass naked zombie brute. This just gives me nightmares I don’t even know what to say.

As a hairy ass person, I find this offensive.

[quote=“Birdie, post:11, topic:3875”]This is glorious. I’d offer up thicker beards giving the face minor warmth, (dunno how accurate that is!) but that would suddenly give an obvious, if minor advantage to male survivors that females won’t get. I’d LIKE differences, but that leaves nothing for females. >>
Solution; beard mutation?[/quote]

beard could be double edged, they help keep your face warm but prevent mouth protection from making a good seal around your mouth (lowered EP)

This made me think of a sword beard.

MUTATION ANYONE?

This made me think of a sword beard.[/quote]
We don’t need mutation for that.

EPIC.

EPIC.[/quote]

So you’re saying you want weaponized mustaches.

EPIC.[/quote]

I’ve got a significant beard. Speaking from experience, that’s one of the places I would not want a rigid, sword-like structure on my body. (Good luck sitting or looking down.)

Re mutation: Already exists, Mouth Tentacles.

Re moustache: You will, however, need a few chunks of wax. And another one to repair it, per fight. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well guys after doing a lot fixes and modifying a lot of content, I think I know enough in order to make hair growth work.

It’ll be out soon.