Guns - Lets talk about them

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:19, topic:9290”]Shotguns have higher accuracy due to the spread, that’s going to be the only benefit you get IRL as well, I’m not sure what potential benefits you’re expecting other than that.
Suggest a way to make guns realistically accurate without making any character with a half-decent gun invincible and we can talk. If we get hordes working such that they’re not game breaking and they make guns reasonably dangerous to use, that might do it, but if we just made any given rifle capable of hitting at max sight range with sufficient aiming right now, it would simply break the game. Right now the least problematic fix for this I have available is scaling down gun effective range to fit within the reality bubble, so that’s what we’re doing.[/quote]

We could try to increase the zombie base speed (we can sprint now), or alternatively, allow monsters to sprint toward the player when alerted. If we combined this with a higher density of zombies, and better by-sound tracking, firing a gun would perhaps become rather dangerous. This may nerf melee rather badly, however.

Another thing would be having a small variant of dynamic spawning, in which loud noises could spawn monsters in the loaded over maps that still haven’t been set foot upon by the player (don’t know if the game can track this), it works well enough in left 4 dead, although you do get the occasional hordes out of a bathroom stall. Plus this would have the advantage of giving shriekers a purpose.

Also, well-calibrated and maintained guns are very accurate. Get some pitting on the crown, use crappy ammo, bang it around enough and its accuracy and precision will go down. Add in stress from active attackers coming to eat your brains, shaking hands due to malnutrition and electrolyte imbalances and the fact that you’re pointing at things that look human and you’re in for some trouble.

Your not going to be a good shot even under ideal circumstances. no need for handicaps to fail a shot at high range.
I managed a few good and deadly hits on milspecturrets from outside theire range but it took quite a few tries even with precise aiming and high skill.
Or maybe i am doing something wrong-.

One other bit of silliness I’ve noticed, specifically involving ammunition crafting.

Big one is, as with a lot of games where you can handload, the bullet material is simply a quantity. No need to find or make bullets for different cartridges, no bullet molds, etc. While it’s probably more complexity than it’s worth, it does stand out when compared to requiring the right type of primer and the right case.

Also, bullet materials. Silver or other oddball metals would probably work good enough for buckshot, but rifle bullets…well, Mythbusters had a Fun time trying to actually hit a block of clay using a .30-06 with silver bullets, due to shrinkage.

Also, rimfire rounds. In general it isn’t practical or safe to reload a deformed rimfire case, but I recall an article in Backwoodsman magazine discussing the idea, with an eye towards .44 Henry and other old, uncommon rimfire cartridges. Apparently if you can get the priming chemical into the rim, a case can be reused once, maybe twice if you take care not to bring the hammer/firing pin down on or near where it was fired last time.

The article also recommended the use of WP from strike-anywhere matches as a source of primer for old rimfire cartridges, though good luck finding those these days. I can’t actually recall if the game presently has any rimfire guns that aren’t .22, but if we had a blackpowder Henry rifle, it would be an interesting option. o3o

Last but not least…seriously, treating .270 Winchester as a variant of .30-06? >w>

(This might turn ugly fast, but…)
Do we really need this many guns?
Wouldn’t a more generic system (light, medium, heavy pistol/revolver/rifle/etc) be enough since gun really aren’t that good of an option?

I only want a well simulated cataclysm from this game.
Not a streamlined gaming experience.
I am oposed to tuning down details to make it less confusing .
Every gun that can exist via lore should exist in the right quantity.
It should work in the same way as its rl counterpart(if existent) does(as close as possible).
Even if that means that there are many redundant weapons.

[quote=“troll from behind, post:25, topic:9290”](This might turn ugly fast, but…)
Do we really need this many guns?
Wouldn’t a more generic system (light, medium, heavy pistol/revolver/rifle/etc) be enough since gun really aren’t that good of an option?[/quote]

I’d love something like this, but I’m afraid there’s no chance for it to happen, not even as a mod.
In DDA when it comes to content, quantity seems to be one of the most important qualities.

Maybe someday, when complete overhaul mods become possible.

For this exact reason, I vote for there being proper .270 Winchester rifles, though since that post I’ve looked it up and apparently you can fire a .270 in a .30-06, though it has complete and utter crap for accuracy, and is pretty much done solely to fire-form the cases.

Additionally, if we had a way to define overlapping ammunition types, then we could have .357 Magnum revolvers able to chamber .30 Special, while still leaving .38 revolvers unable to use .357, and allow for the possibility of .357 semi-auto pistols like early-model Desert Eagles that wouldn’t be able to function with .38.

Also it would give us an excuse to have that lovely yet impractical Judge Taurus, if ammo type overlap was an option. o3o

At the very least, more shotgun options would be nice. 20 gauge at the least. >w>