Guns: Are the really worth it?

As TurningBreeze has mentioned, I also prefer archery (especially longbows). However I will never turn down a gun, especially if it’s high caliber since these will kill stuff that the bow can’t. Hell even shotguns are a nice find if your playing static spawn since noise isn’t as dangerous. There have been some games where I find a shed load of .22 or 9mm and I just think sod it, I’ll change the trusty bow out.

Are they really worth it??? Almost certainly, but not every character needs them.

I found rats were easy, though my katana would quickly get stuck in an enemy. I think with relatively low armor, they only do like 1 damage a hit or less, and I was surrounded by rats twice when I had to deal with them.

imo guns are def worth it. With a .22 and a redhawk with a bit of ammo for each, I can clear a town just by walking down the street taking only minimal damage. Bows are good, but if I can get 100s of .22 ammo, they are more hassle than being able to just shoot stuff dead with one shot every time. They also seem to be the only smart option for turrets and robots.

I lug around a shotgun with me in case of skeletons and zombie soldiers, and even in the case of skeleton, I can melee them with 5 body encumbrance. Once I get my mechanics to level 6 I switch the shotgun for a flamethrower.

A .22 rifle with a suppressor makes no sound and has no recoil.

Anything it cant take down?
.45 pistol or 9mm AP at close range.

You are still not managing?
Then you should not have been there in the first place.

P.S. Just ignore the swamps. Really.
Dozens of flying razor-bladed armored enemies is not fun.

A thing about ammo, suppressors and firearm balance in general. [size=8pt](Do note that any information provided here isn’t completely based on real life stuff. It’s what I’ve gathered from years of gaming and being a general BANG BANG SHOOT 'EM UP HAPPY FUNTIME nerd.)[/size]

Right now the suppressor allows you to go nuts with just about any weapon. But you know, suppressors shouldn’t render a gun completely silent. There’s still a distinct bang but it doesn’t travel as far (as in it isn’t as loud anymore). In gameplay terms I imagine that gunfire, and sound in general, is a radial thing. A circle with a certain cutoff point. Having a suppressor should decrease the radius by e certain percentage. Different for each caliber. .44 Magnum is pretty damn loud, even if you manage to find a suppressor for it. Which brings me to another thing

Multi-caliber suppressors versus caliber specific ones. (Let’s talk about making an attachment more complex. Oh boy!)

A multi-caliber one meaning (for example) a .45ACP one you can adapt to .40S&W or 9mm. Or maybe to simplify, a general handgun suppressor. (Perhaps a Magnum suppressor for the heaviest of hitters). In gameplay terms I’d like to see this be less effective than a caliber specific suppressor, but of course, it’d have much wider compatibility. Strap it on your favorite handheld lead spitter and get 30-40% less zombie attraction when you start slinging death. Wowie! Hell, you could even craft your own using a potato or an oil filter. Zowie, jinkies, yowza! Huh? Still not satisfied? Well then, you could of course try getting your hands on one or many…

Caliber specific suppressors! Now we’re talking. Got a Glock 19 you cradle in your arms before falling asleep? I bet you do. Why not get your favorite lady (or lad, who am I to judge?) a finely crafted 9mm suppressor? It may not fit every lug on the block but damn it, it makes your baby whisper sweet death anywhere you want it to. 50-75% less ammo needed. Oh wow! Aw jeez! You want one, don’t you? Well tough luck! You may not find the one you want. Maybe you’ll find one for another caliber. Maybe you’ll have to throw your baby away for some other floozy! OH NO! Them’s the breaks, pal. But you know, it could very well be worth it. There’s a lot of zombies out there. A LOT. Too many? Well, you could always ramp it up a bit more with…

Cold-loaded ammo. This stuff may not have the range or stopping power of your favorite murder slugs but dang it, you’re no witless slob. You’re a survivor! And sometimes a survivor doesn’t want to break the sound barrier. That’s much too loud, man! [size=8pt]So don your balaclava,[/size] [size=7pt] get your suppressor and cold-loaded ammo[/size] [size=6pt]and get ready for some stealthy infiltration.[/size] Now, cold-loaded ammo is a very caliber specific thing. Handgun calibers may not even need it if you’ve got a caliber specific suppressor, but, match that with this ammo and you’ve got a virtually mute death dealer in your hands. Think of cold loads as 15-30% noise reduction. Not great without a suppressor though.

[size=8pt]So that’s that. Hopefully things didn’t get too convoluted. Oh, I know! CHARTS! Exemplary ones, of course.[/size]

9mm handgun / With suppressor / …and cold-load (cold-load only):
Noise - Medium / Low / Very low (Low-medium)
Damage - Medium / low-Medium / Low-medium (Low-medium)
Range - Low-medium / Low / Not that low but still low enough to make you cringe at times (Low)
Caliber specific suppressors - Not rare, not common

9mm rifle or SMG / With suppressor / …and cold-load (cold-load only):
Noise - Medium / Low-Medium / Low (Medium)
Damage - Medium / Medium / Low-medium (Low-medium)
Range - Medium / Medium / Low-medium (Medium)
Caliber specific suppressors - Still 9mm so same as handguns

.44 Magnum handgun / With suppressor / …and cold-load (cold-load only):
Noise - Very high / High-Medium / Medium… if .44 cold loads even exist (Still kinda high)
Damage - High / High / High-medium (Medium)
Range - Medium / Low-medium / Low (Low-medium)
Caliber specific suppressors - “Why would you suppress a .44 Magnum?”, asks the man living in the time before the great cataclysm. “ZOMBIES! That’s why!” sneered the paranoid shut-in and ordered a custom suppressor to be made. Rare.

And so on, and so on. You’d need to balance and/or specialize your firearm rather than just throwing everything and anything you find together to get the ultimate will-save-your-life-in-any-situation death machine. Want range and damage? Skip the suppressor or grab a shotgun. Or a rifle. (I’ll make charts for rifle calibers and military rifles too in case your imagination isn’t feeling up to it.)

Thanks for reading.

[quote=“Slax, post:26, topic:912”]A thing about ammo, suppressors and firearm balance in general. [size=8pt](Do note that any information provided here isn’t completely based on real life stuff. It’s what I’ve gathered from years of gaming and being a general BANG BANG SHOOT 'EM UP HAPPY FUNTIME nerd.)[/size]

Right now the suppressor allows you to go nuts with just about any weapon. But you know, suppressors shouldn’t render a gun completely silent. There’s still a distinct bang but it doesn’t travel as far (as in it isn’t as loud anymore). In gameplay terms I imagine that gunfire, and sound in general, is a radial thing. A circle with a certain cutoff point. Having a suppressor should decrease the radius by e certain percentage. Different for each caliber. .44 Magnum is pretty damn loud, even if you manage to find a suppressor for it. Which brings me to another thing…[/quote]

I think the suppressors are already like that. Their modification is -25 noise afaik. Many powerful guns make much more noise than what the suppressor can handle unlike the small .22.

Or grab a shotgun and shotgun silencer for ultimate HUE!

Even with a cold loaded, small calibre suppressed weapon, you still need at least a tick\ click clack of the action (which is surprisingly loud)
From BLAM! to BANG!
From BANG! to TACK!
From TACK! to Tahp!
From Tahp! to clckashp.

And that raised another thing to think about.
AK-47 ++++
7.62 AR suppressor
7.62 AR suppressor
7.62 AR suppressor
7.62 AR suppressor

-215-330% sound reduction!
FUCKYEAH! FIREARMS!

Or, you know, threaded barrels could be a thing. Not every gun is made for tactical attachments.

mentioning the thing for threaded barrels, it would be intresting for non-tactical firearms to have a need for modifying to that first, (adding no weight since the barrel is replaced, the threaded barrel i got for my Walther P22 actually weighs about 1/2 an ounce less, but in cata that doesnt really matter) then adding your silencer/supressor/can.

but for things like the AR-15 which basically all have threaded barrels, could immediately accept a supressor. unlike the kalishnikov which was not originally designed for tactical attachments. (insert IVAN quote about ruining glorious combloc rifle here).

also silencing revolvers is hilariously unrealistic,(sans the nagant revolver) but can be done with massive amounts of modifications and Sub-sonic ammo. I went to gunsmithing school to become a MLG-pro gunsmith, (that sure worked out well dumbass, should have spent more time practicing defensive tactics and fighting) and moved up to idaho, where i met a guy who silenced a S&W 686 by making a lever device that was attached to the frame, to push the cylinder forwards slightly upon firing and using a very specially designed barrel and cylinder to create a gas-seal without having to use Nagant like ammo.

Nagant 7.62x38R cartidges

notice how the bullet is seated down in the casing? thats so upon firing the thinner brass at the end of the casing will expand out upon firing when the cylinder is pushed forward against the barrel, eliminating the Gases to escape between the gap of the cylinder and barrel.

also theres the OTS-38 but that thing is full of fingers and only in the motherland. plus because of the way its designed and the ammo it uses its already silent without needing any attachments or even a integral suppressor

Depends on what gun, to be honest. Rifles and handguns, very much yes. Grab a Marlin 39A, never go back.

SMGs are pretty handy too. The only guns I stay the hell away from are shotguns, because unless you’re going up against bears or hulks they just aren’t worth it, barring Ku-raazzzy Kritz due to the higher base damage. An SMG can take out a hulk just as easily as a shotgun while still being of use in semi-auto, only consideration is you’ll be burning more ammo per burst for heavy targets than a shotgun and you might have penetration problems (heheh…) against the tough stuff depending on your ammunition. Still, if you plan on loading your shotgun with birdshot you’ll have penetration problems there too.

As for threaded barrels… I think pretty much any weapon in your local gunstore bar a smoothbore shotgun would come as stock with a rifled barrel. Only things I think we should have to really modify with barrels are those for LMGs-- Things like the M249 should really need their barrel replaced after every few hundred shots on pain of reduced accuracy and breech explosion.

You misunderstand. A non-threaded barrel doesn’t allow for screw-on suppressors. Threaded ones do.

How about lever-action rifles? I just really want a big, clunky and most of all ineffectual suppressor around.
OH WELL. At least workshop gunsmithing would be a good addition. Getting more use out of your lovely collection of tools can’t possibly be a bad thing, especially since you can screw it up.

You misunderstand. A non-threaded barrel doesn’t allow for screw-on suppressors. Threaded ones do.[/quote]Oh Goddamn, brainfart. Nice fix, Slax.

One could introduce taps…with a 99.99% chance of destroying the gun next shot, without proper equipment I.e. Taping machines.

Can real guns be tapped manually or are there specific tools required that eliminate the possibility?.

To be honest, I think the pipe rifles should have a massive chance of creating a breech explosion. Say, 15-25% After the first shot.

You misunderstand. A non-threaded barrel doesn’t allow for screw-on suppressors. Threaded ones do.

How about lever-action rifles? I just really want a big, clunky and most of all ineffectual suppressor around.
OH WELL. At least workshop gunsmithing would be a good addition. Getting more use out of your lovely collection of tools can’t possibly be a bad thing, especially since you can screw it up.[/quote]

actually silencing lever-actions would be entirely possible. the only reason you cant do it with revolvers without massive amounts of modification is because of the gap between the cylinder and barrel, whereas basically all lever-actions will not have the gas escape.