Grenades

How about fragmentation grenades? Existing grenade similar to homemade, but how about military offensive and defensive fragmentation grenades?

Like what do you mean? Theres already grenades in the game, so more shrapnel, bigger blast radius or something of the sort?

I think he just hasn’t found them yet.

I mean shrapnel effect. And grenades with smal and large radius of scattering shrapnel (throwing from cover). And this grenades cannot be crafted, only found in the military bunkers, outposts and soldier corpses.

i think itd be nice to take out more then 3 zombies per grenade unless you have them huddled around it

[quote=“DeepEnd, post:7, topic:551”]Different throwable grenades:

HE (impact) grenade : Does shock effect, ground zero is annihilated (huge point damage), squares around point zero get medium damage and beyond that some light damage/ shock effect. Can break walls/structures in squares around ground zero. HE grenades are really not that powerful against loose groups. You’d want to lob one of these to hulk or to create emergency exit, but they can be used against tight groups with decent efficiency too.

Shrapnel grenade : Does projectile effect and minor shock at ground zero. Best way to handle shrapnel is to shoot “bullets” at caliber about 9mm out of ground zero - 50 bullets would be about optimal. Just select random points 15m around ground zero and see if anything gets into bullets path and start hit chance of 20% in ground zero, 90% one square from ground zero to about 10% at outer edge, thats about realistic. Shrapnels are deadly to groups. Only downside is that if there are stuff around ground zero they are going to suck up majority of shrapnels thus protect anything that is behind them, so in totally packed group shrapnels would over-kill about 9 things in group and somewhat hurt next “layer” - but they would be much more efficient if thrown on small opening in the group or to loose group to allow shrapnels to spread more before starting to hit stuff so nearby things would not soak shrapnels. Has medium chance to destroy structures at ground zero, and some shock effect at range 1 - but beyond that only shrapnel effect is relevant… LIKE. Be in a trench crouched -> Shrapnel lands next to you -> BOOM -> you are shaken but OK VS Be in the open -> Shrapnel lands next to you -> BOOM -> You are so so so very fucked.

Thermite grenade : Thrown instant inferno on ground zero. Will destroy everything and anything on square after burning some time. 100% chance to destroy structures at ground zero. Starts instantly fires on any ignitable material around ground zero.

Phosporous grenade / incendary : Pyromaniacs choise. Explodes to 15 tracers that have 60% chance to ignite whatever they hit to. In all aspects should be like normal fire (except that phospor is almost impossible to extinquish, but that is probably unneccesary to feature).

The thing is, grenades are often mistood as “automatic AOE success”. They are not that. Impact HE grenades have really limited effective range and shrapnels are nothing more than flying wall of low penetration projectiles, both can be devastating at times, but they can also be very inefficient at other times. I’d love to see this thing done properly at CDDA.[/quote]

This is what I suggested in other thread. I think player could also craft shrapnel grenades but they wouldnt be as effective as factory-crafted ones - for example uses 25 nails for 25 “bullets” traced, and are more weighty.

A greater variety in grenades would be fantastic, so we already did it.

Most varieties of grenades, however, are 40mm shells rather than pull and throw devices.

If you get yourself an M203 grenade gunmod or maybe even a Milkor MLG, you’ll have access to concussive, frag, incendiary, tear gas and smoke cover grenades.

In addition, prime-and-throw explosives are currently more than just grenades, of note are C4 and mininukes, but also smoke bombs, flash-bangs and teargas canisters, as well as the ever-popular EMP grenade.

It is possible to make, for example, for 40 mm frag grenade shrapnel scattering?

P.S. How about mustard gas grenade?

Shrapnel scattering is essentially how 40mm frags work now.

Sorry, did not notice. Not long ago, playing under Cygwin with animation.
And the usual grenades have shrapnel too.

But defensive grenade with large shrapnel radius (15 tiles for example) will be useful.

Standard issue grenades are to my knowledge concussive; only 40mm frag has the frag thing going.

Further testing might be required.

I just checked the standard grenade. Throw her near itself, was wounded by shrapnel.

nah, grenades have shrapnel. You probably just won’t notice it until you get lucky and have your face ripped off by red-hot metal shards.

I know what you mean though kenny-- The russian F1 is the cheapest grenade in the world, but it doesn’t have much shrapnel at all and mainly requires the actual explosion to do the killing-- a very offensive grenade. Works out to about $5 on the market, contains 110g TNT iirc. They made another one with the waffle/pinapple-pattern body although I can’t remember the exact Mk or model number, which has a much larger killing radius due to the shrapnel from the waffled casing. That’s a defensive grenade, get people to stay the hell away or clear bunkers.

Frankly I think you should be able to make an enhanced pipe bomb that essentially works as a more lethal grenade and doesn’t fizzle as often. Standard pipe-bomb recipie + pack of nails, screws etc.

Bunkers having fighting compartments/pockets are quite immune to shrapnel grenades. They are vulnerable to concussive because closed space explosion has increased lethal range and the effect travels around corners.

F1 always has “pineapple” body. In modern time F1 and RGD-5 was replaced by RGO and RGN.

110g tnt - is RGD-5 - offensive, without “waffer/pineapple”, f1 has ~60g tnt.

Cryo grenades: Apply freeze effect in 1 tile radius, which makes zombies immobile and take more damage from bashing attacks
Plasma grenade: on impact will unleash ionized gas which destroys everything in 1 tile radius and severe damage to “liveng” creatures in 2 tiles
Sonic grenades: same effect as sonic resonator in area where it was thrown, maybe a bit more damage to organic material.

Some kind of futuristic sticky foam grenade, originally intented for riot control. Makes a lot of sticky foam that either hinders movement (depth 1) or completely immobilizes (depth 3). Dissolves in 15-20 turns.

Also futuristic electric barricade grenade - shoots 3 barbwires in random directions from point of impact, these barbwires themselves are only minor hindrance (half effect of classic barbwire) but they have electric charge on them (grenade has 10 charges total). If these charged wires touch iron item or water or other wire of other barricade grenade those wires are shorted out and 5 charges are lost from grenade.

We need claymores.

3 claymores+1 Frag grenade= Fuck everything.

We need granades.