Good places for a base?

[quote=“Rot, post:40, topic:10547”][quote=“Taraq, post:39, topic:10547”][quote=“Rilder, post:36, topic:10547”]In my current game I found a small warehouse a fair bit (but not too far) away from a town and set up there, big open main area with big metal winch-operated door that you can pull in a vehicle into, plus a small office area to use as a bedroom. (Even had a couch to use as a bed.)

Quite nice, especially as I tend to be a bit of a hoarder in cataclysm.[/quote]

Warehouses!?[/quote]

I’ve never seen warehouses before, is this in the latest experimental?[/quote]

I’m just using 0.C Stable currently so no, not an experimental.

I saw one once, where I promptly turned it into a base, but I haven’t seen them since I went to Experimental. Looking in the debug menu for changing map tiles in a roughly month-old experimental, they still exist.

Also, most of that menu is taken up with: Fallout reference land, Malls, NPC Stuff, and Z-Level stuff. In that order.

Use \ to search. Or maybe its /. Either way, search is a must.

Edit: Also, I did some digging, it is still in the game, but the placement rules make it very rare. Essentially, it is marked to spawn by a road, which is a difficult place to put specials because the game selects locations at random (for the most part) and then tries to see what it can place at that location, so to place by a road it has to randomly select a point next to a road. This wouldn’t be so bad on its own, but there’s 3 other buildings with the same spawn rules, motels, gas stations, and rural gas stations. The motels and gas stations both have a minimum required of 2, so it would have to randomly select at least 5 locations next to a road to be able to place 2 motels, 2 gas stations, and then one warehouse. Compound this even further with the fact that motels and gas stations both have have effectively no city distance requirements, while warehouses are required to be placed relatively close to cities. My suggestion would be to add warehouses to regional_map_settings.json so that they can spawn in cities, and to adjust the chance of a vehicle spawning inside lower.

I watch a Cata youtuber Called Silverdragonlord, and he usually builds a death machine or sets up in a public works facility, I, however, am a Nomad

(using experimental) I found a nice house recently, used by maybe a survivor; it included fireplace, bed, garage, trap, guns, food, clothes, aids, electronic stuff, tools.
Sadly it lacked water (after I’v empty the toilet. Btw, there was a landed mine on it, weird).

Windows and such are barricaded so it’s quite safe. Also the main area (with the fireplace) was quite big so it was easy to take over it and store all my junk around before I moved to the sewage treatment underground (because of my lucky lava spot in a corner that give me light & heat)

[quote=“Oragepoilu, post:45, topic:10547”](using experimental) I found a nice house recently, used by maybe a survivor; it included fireplace, bed, garage, trap, guns, food, clothes, aids, electronic stuff, tools.
Sadly it lacked water (after I’v empty the toilet. Btw, there was a landed mine on it, weird).

Windows and such are barricaded so it’s quite safe. Also the main area (with the fireplace) was quite big so it was easy to take over it and store all my junk around before I moved to the sewage treatment underground (because of my lucky lava spot in a corner that give me light & heat)[/quote]

I’ve just noticed this in the more recent experimentals (started a few days ago?); the toilet water never drops from 24/24 no matter how much I use it. I’ve probably refilled my canteen a dozen times already, along with a dozen other crafting things, but it never runs out. Not sure what’s going on, did I find a cross-dimensional toilet or?

I’m thinking of finding a cathedral, burning it down, cleaning out the stone-walled shell, and using it as a secure open-roof garage and greenhouse while I build living quarters in the basement.

Bruuutal.

There is always a house kinda by itself on the outskirts of town that I set up in in the beginning. I board up all the rooms except one and close the curtains at night. I have never seen more than the odd lost zombie come near and they just serve to prevent skill rust while I read. Once I am ready to move up from my LootCycle to a bigger more armored vehicle I move into a fire station(keep the bike though it’s great for targeted runs like to the gas station) This way I can just drive in and dump all my loot on the floor and get to work no lugging involved. Added bonus: npc’s don’t seem to be able to operate winches so your stuff is safe from thieves. I have never once set up under ground as I consider place I can’t pull my vehicle next to and unload unacceptable.

Bruuutal.[/quote]

Explosive diarrhea anyone?

That actually sound pretty badass, but it would probably a pain in the ass to clear the rubble.

Running around spamming E to dig the rubble up is no big deal really, and rather than try to haul all the resulting splintered wood and garbage away, I’m inclined to just grab my fusion blaster rifle and keep firing until it’s all vaporized. It’s not like I’m going to hurt anything.

I wish bank vaults were a little bigger because then I would totally burn a bank to the ground and set up in it’s double thick metal walls.

[quote=“Rot, post:40, topic:10547”][quote=“Taraq, post:39, topic:10547”][quote=“Rilder, post:36, topic:10547”]In my current game I found a small warehouse a fair bit (but not too far) away from a town and set up there, big open main area with big metal winch-operated door that you can pull in a vehicle into, plus a small office area to use as a bedroom. (Even had a couch to use as a bed.)

Quite nice, especially as I tend to be a bit of a hoarder in cataclysm.[/quote]

Warehouses!?[/quote]

I’ve never seen warehouses before, is this in the latest experimental?[/quote]

It’s been around for quite a while now. I usually find them somewhat far from towns, so usually it’s nice and isolated. Connected to a road, and inside is a ton of empty crates.

People will probably call me insane for this, but once I get a character fully geared and leveled up to the point where they can fight decently in melee, I like to set up a tile or two away from a good patch of swamp.

Swamps are awesome once you can handle the swarms of giant creepy crawlies: All the salt, meat, fat, chitin, pelts, hides, stomachs, and lumber you could ever want, bugs keep each other and the rest of the critters busy and help keep your fighting/dodging skills sharp, lots of fruit trees and underbrush to harvest from…

It’s like an infinitely lootable grocery store, but with more punching and fewer magazine racks.

That’s a very good point. I wish I could find better base candidate buildings near swamps more often though, usually it’s at best a gas station.

[quote=“scorpion451, post:55, topic:10547”]People will probably call me insane for this, but once I get a character fully geared and leveled up to the point where they can fight decently in melee, I like to set up a tile or two away from a good patch of swamp.

Swamps are awesome once you can handle the swarms of giant creepy crawlies: All the salt, meat, fat, chitin, pelts, hides, stomachs, and lumber you could ever want, bugs keep each other and the rest of the critters busy and help keep your fighting/dodging skills sharp, lots of fruit trees and underbrush to harvest from…

It’s like an infinitely lootable grocery store, but with more punching and fewer magazine racks.[/quote]

I like swamps for all those reasons, but I generally don’t want them in the reality bubble at the same time as my base. When I’m at base, I want to be left alone.

[quote=“deoxy, post:57, topic:10547”][quote=“scorpion451, post:55, topic:10547”]People will probably call me insane for this, but once I get a character fully geared and leveled up to the point where they can fight decently in melee, I like to set up a tile or two away from a good patch of swamp.

It’s like an infinitely lootable grocery store, but with more punching and fewer magazine racks.[/quote]

I like swamps for all those reasons, but I generally don’t want them in the reality bubble at the same time as my base. When I’m at base, I want to be left alone.[/quote]

How far does the reality bubble extend, anyway? I keep forgetting. And will swamp creatures ever form hordes, will anything but zombies form hordes?

As far as I’m aware its a three-map-tile radius (Hence, with a tile or two between, the swamp critters restock without being too much of a nuisance)