Git repository directory

So I’m clearly doing SOMETHING wrong but this Linux based computer is currently running and old .c version, and I’ve been trying to do a

git fetch; git pull

But am getting ‘fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git’

what is the name of the dir I need to pull to? Or is there something I need to change to make …share/games/Cataclysm-DDA a valid git updatable folder compatible with other commands like worksforme etc…

How did you install that? It being installed in that directory sounds like you installed it through a package manager. You need to clone with git for it to be a git repository.

I just installed (reinstalled?) git the install process I followed during original install was here

so basically a direct install not sure where directions not on that page I followed are exactly but pretty sure they were off the official site

I think between install and now I switched from ubuntu to Kubuntu / plasma which may be the reason git wasn’t installed anymore

Edit: confirmed it was not only the default install ubuntu, but Also another computer & drive, that was G-parted copied over.

Does a .git directory exist in that directory?

no. How do I get git repository set-up

If it’s not there, then you may need to start over with a git clone of the repo.

Yeah, easiest is a git clone and the moving over the right files.

ok finally remembered to .git clone while good internet available but still not seeing any .git dir in the files

also getting

*** no rule to make target ‘all’

when I run the make command

Oh, how are you viewing the files? With ls, you need to pass -a to view hidden files (beginning with .)

hold on. Wrong dir. Thats the old Cata files that were already made

hmm ok yes the .get is here but running make now returns… oh I see its the same problem as last time I need to DL all the tools

ok. Now Im confused. It looks like all the libs transferred over from previous laptop/system but I keep getting errors from the make comand saying that I lack some of the sdl’s

… install libsdl2-2.0-0 is showing 1 installed and not upgraded for the libs and individual lib installs are showing the same

What exactly are the errors you’re getting?

Error report

package SDL2_mixer was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `SDL2_mixer.pc’
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package ‘SDL2_mixer’ found
Package SDL2_image was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `SDL2_image.pc’
No package ‘SDL2_image’ found
Package SDL2_ttf was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `SDL2_ttf.pc’
No package ‘SDL2_ttf’ found
Package SDL2_mixer was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `SDL2_mixer.pc’
No package ‘SDL2_mixer’ found
/bin/sh: 1: astyle: not found
In file included from src/cata_tiles.h:13,
from src/animation.cpp:25:
src/sdl_wrappers.h:12:13: fatal error: SDL_ttf.h: No such file or directory
# include <SDL_ttf.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Makefile:792: obj/tiles/animation.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…

I don’t know if this is of any help to you but I had a similar error on Mac OS a few days ago. I tried reinstalling the SDL libs but just go the message that they are already installed.

Once I used the proposed options of linking to these installed SDL libs everything worked out fine and I could update Cataclysm.

linking what to the installed libs? The install tools?

So just just throw links from the install tools to the CDDA folder?

You’ll need the dev packages for those parts of SDL. On Debian (from which Ubuntu is derived) they are:

libsdl2-mixer-dev
libsdl2-image-dev
libsdl2-ttf-dev

Ah that fixed a lot. I wouldn’t have thought the dev files were something I needed to mess with. Whats their purpose exactly? And why do they link everything up right?

Hmm need astyle now Whats the DL for that, my bottlenecked 4g google foo isn’t finding any obvious culprits

This is its website, but your package manager should have it.

yep found it thought it would have some kind of special spelling or a tail end or something, so I thought I wasn’t getting any results when I tabbed -Thanks