Game literally unplayable due to this new NPC on fire crash

How do those “forks” work? Are they fixes made at a certain point in time, or do they continue to be update with any changes made to the main file, but keeping their particular fix/modification?

Landed candidate fixes for both issues, let me know if that resolved it for you.

The various branches with fixes on them are managed with git, it has a system for resolving the vast majority of conflicts that arise due to the same files being modified by different people, and has tools to help the maintainers resolve conflicts when they aren’t trivial.
Basically it keeps track of the difference between the original code and all of the various edits to the code, and lets someone (me or another maintainer in this case) apply them in an arbitrary order.

1 Like

Not sure if this is helpful and only assuming it’s related somehow. Thought I’d try to pitch in since I’m playing kind of actively atm and this appears to be a pretty big issue. About a week ago, started a fresh playthrough with basic/included mods and cataclysm++ (cata++ manually added the latest from git. Can list others if it helps). Build 7433 as of tonight (Been updating along the way). [Can’t see the Changelog/Patchotes in the CDDA Game Launcher window for the last couple days. Assumed it couldn’t reach the page it was scraping from.]

I Immediately noticed an issue with the starting NPC, crash to desktop when he tried attacking something. Checked the debug.log it spammed similar to this :
3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0 3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0 3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0 3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0 3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0 3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0 3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0 3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0 3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0 3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0 3:21:2.4 GAME : src/npctalk.cpp:2634: called calc_chance with invalid talk_trial value: 0

Just seeing that, I figured he tried to say something and it crashed out. Told him to keep quiet (just testing) and it still happened. Not the biggest fan of hauling around NPC’s so I just told him to stand guard and forgot about it.

Tonight I found a ‘Best Friend’ and figured I’d try NPC’s again since i’m about to hit tougher content. This time I tried multiple times in different scenarios. This new NPC also crashed when attacking something. Not on first hit, just randomly during mid combat something happens to crash out. (only fighting a dog, but maybe a piece of her weaker/default gear broke?)

Then I tried switching out her gear, which lead me here. I can give her a pipe spear (she isn’t wielding any weapons) but as soon as I try to give her a helmet to replace her cowboy hat or a chest armor it CTD.

OK, I downloaded 0.C-27990-g91a1db0 (latest in the experimental folder) and copied just my saves and config folder. Save still crashes as flames near the starting friendly NPC in my RBD save.

Has anyone figured out a solution? Need me to upload the save file?

That’s the last build before the build server outage, it does not have the fixes. Can you grab the latest build and try again now that the build bot is running again?

Again, not sure if this is helpful and related. I updated to 7434 0.C-28087-gbb64613 (with the long list of fixes). I stopped getting a crash when giving them armor that replaced currently worn armor. (Although the gear screens persisted and new ones overlapped old ones until I exited the npc talk menu, then all were closed. Not that it hurt anything)

But, I’m still crashing at some random point mid-battle when NPC’s are fighting. A few hits in, and CTD again. I’m not sure if it makes a difference, but the most recent tests were done with cata++ NPC’s now that I think about it. Bio-Weapon, Prepper etc. When I get back to base I can see if I have a vanilla NPC standing guard among the bunch to gear up and do some fighting.

Well, 7435 seems to have fixed that particular problem since I loaded the save and he burned up just fine, whereas before I was getting a crash with pretty much 100% frequency.