Fusion Blaster Arm

I made an android scientist based character in hopes of using handguns and the fusion blaster bionic and came across a charge rifle first. I installed the fusion blaster arm with the rifle in my hand and was still able to use it.
Thinking this as a bug I unequipped the rifle and attempted to reequip it, I didn’t get a message saying I couldn’t and was able to continue using the charge rifle.
I then came across a packed m72 Law and attempted to use that too with no message saying I couldn’t.
Did I bug my character installing the bionic while wielding a rifle or are the weapons I’m finding to test this out on able to be used in one hand somehow?

No, those weapons simply don’t require 2 hands, even though you would expect them to.

If you look in archery.json, all the bows have the ALWAYS_TWOHAND flag, which as the name implies means they need both hands to wield. If you look in ranged.json, you’ll notice that NOTHING has that flag.

But… I thought the whole point of Fusion blaster being so amazing was that you couldn’t use anything but handguns, some smgs and the shotgun revolver, which is odd in creation and stats by the way.

Well, theoretically, you could one-hand a rifle with a severe recoil hit and probably an accuracy drop.

But yeah, I get the point you’re making here.

Are you sure no ranged has two-handed? I’ve had one or two broken arms and couldn’t use a 9mm SMG.

If both arms are broken…yeah.

Otherwise, hand-requirements are a function of strength. Bows are an exception because you need one hand to hold the bow and the other to draw/loose the arrow.

bool item::is_two_handed(player *u)
{
    if (has_flag("ALWAYS_TWOHAND"))
    {
        return true;
    }
    return (weight() > u->str_cur * 4);
}

Heh. So as long as you have baseline strength of 8, you can one-hand a Remington 870 shotgun with a weight of 30. If you have 10 strength, you can one-hand a Saiga-12 with a weight of 36. And if you have 18 strength, you can one-hand an m249 with a weight of 68.

Maybe the strength to weight for holding one handed needs to be altered a bit then. Because an average person one handing a shotgun with no penalties? Kind of weird there.

It still means you have the strength to hold the shotgun straight , so that’s no biggie of a deal. dual wielding M249’s and remingtons must be added.

And if you think it’s unrealistic , you should see rambo , he was holding 2 weapons at THE SAME TIME (I honestly don’t remember anything about anything anymore)! So that’s out of th question and must be added.

query

how does one work the slide on a pump-action shotgun with only one hand? if you only have one arm, do you toss the shotgun in the air for a sec so you can swap your grip from the firing grip to the slide, then snap it back and forth? how do you load more shells in the tube once youve exhausted it? how is this not insanely slow and unwieldy compared to doing it with two hands?

for that matter, how do you do any of that with a rifle with only one hand? how do you work the action on a bolt-action rifle with only one hand?

actually, even pistols: how much sense does it make to reload a clip-fed pistol with only one hand?

and let’s not even get started on things like SEWING. or cooking. or using a jackhammer. etc. basically the idea that the FBA reduces you to one hand is a little… questionable.

[quote=“grisamentum, post:10, topic:2144”]query

how does one work the slide on a pump-action shotgun with only one hand? if you only have one arm, do you toss the shotgun in the air for a sec so you can swap your grip from the firing grip to the slide, then snap it back and forth? how do you load more shells in the tube once youve exhausted it? how is this not insanely slow and unwieldy compared to doing it with two hands?

for that matter, how do you do any of that with a rifle with only one hand? how do you work the action on a bolt-action rifle with only one hand?

actually, even pistols: how much sense does it make to reload a clip-fed pistol with only one hand?

and let’s not even get started on things like SEWING. or cooking. or using a jackhammer. etc. basically the idea that the FBA reduces you to one hand is a little… questionable.[/quote]

This is why I dislike the Fusion Blaster Arm CBM. What reasonable person would have ever designed such a thing, let alone have it installed?

Perhaps as a combat limb for a limbless soldier? But if you have the technology to replace limbs with cybernetics, why not just give the soldier a functioning cyber-arm and hand him a rifle?

Whenever I come upon a pile of dead drug dealers, there’s always at least one Fusion Blaster in the wreckage. I know they didn’t die in the apocalypse – those sad bastards were wiped out by their fusion-blaster armed comrade after he went into a homicidal rage when he discovered he could no longer open a jar of mayonaise without assistance.

In my head, the fusion blaster things is mounted on the arm, but you still regain some mobility in the hand.

“Your left arm has been replaced by a heavy-duty fusion blaster! You may use your energy banks to fire a damaging heat ray; however, you are unable to use or carry two-handed items, and may only fire handguns.”

“Your left arm has been replaced by a heavy-duty fusion blaster! You may use your energy banks to fire a damaging heat ray; however, you are unable to use or carry two-handed items, and may only fire handguns.”[/quote]
Which is why I dislike the current system for how it determines what you can wield. Although I do thing revolver shotgun and a couple of smgs should be included.