For want of a wrench

I’m 16 days in, 276 kills, but can’t find a wrench (or pliers). And it seems that it is virtually impossible to get vehicles running without one. I’ve got plenty of books, maybe I can make the tools …except making a forge requires bolt turning 1. Sigh. Any suggestions?

You haven’t found a toolbox? Well if there is a place where you think tools are located look there.

Given a supply of raw materials (vehicles) it is possible to bootstrap practically all tools. The main thing is getting fabrication to 5, because you can build a rock forge without needing a bolt turning tool.

I had a wilderness character who bootstrapped tools by constructing a rock forge from scavenged rocks, then made an anvil by smashing cars and hoping the doors would fall off before they broke, so I could get the frames. The construction system is often overlooked but can help get around tool requirements in crafting recipes.

Zombies have a chance to drop items like toolboxes and guns. Try pressing V and looking for toolboxes near corpses you’ve slain.

In which update and for what reasons construction skill get merged with fabrication, anyways? Doesn’t make any sense for me.

Ah, the rock forge! Totally forgot about it

I don’t know when it got merged, but it does streamline it a bit since you don’t have to grind each individually to get to the correct level. If that were the case then bootstrapping tools would be much worse, as you repeatedly build and deconstruct furniture to grind up to the rock forge level.
It also does make a small amount of sense, knowing everything about using a forge means you probably roughly know how it works. You have a bunch of fire and you have to keep the fire in one place or it’ll go everywhere, then blow in more air to make more fire.

Stuff like knowing how to build a wall by bashing pieces of metal into spikes is a little contrived though.

Ah, the rock forge! Totally forgot about it[/quote]

I’d reccomend burning down a couple of houses for the rocks. Beats the hell out of running around in mi-go territory collecting the 80 rocks you need for the Forge + Charcoal Kiln

Most houses don’t make rocks unfortunately.

Even when you shovel through the rubble? I never thought of burning down houses except for rebar or nails.

The walls burning down make rocks, but floors (and roofs I guess) don’t, so a regular house is only going to net you something like 100 rocks. That’s still enough to make the forge though.

I’ve been using a sonic resonator on concrete walls for the first time in a while on a lab start. I’ve been happily surprised by all of the rocks they drop, I’ve made a mental note to seek them out in the future. Of course, if you’ve got a way to take down walls you can probably go bash out some solid rock from a basement…

[quote=“Alkheemist, post:3, topic:14326”]Given a supply of raw materials (vehicles) it is possible to bootstrap practically all tools. The main thing is getting fabrication to 5, because you can build a rock forge without needing a bolt turning tool.

I had a wilderness character who bootstrapped tools by constructing a rock forge from scavenged rocks, then made an anvil by smashing cars and hoping the doors would fall off before they broke, so I could get the frames. The construction system is often overlooked but can help get around tool requirements in crafting recipes.[/quote]

You actually need the frame for the crucible not the anvil. Its either that or go looking for clay. If your near a river clay is easier sometimes then smashing. Also if you want frames or other parts instead of scrap from a car find a part that has the frame in grey and smash that part. You should get some frames from the other attached parts along with seats and a few other things depending on whats there. Wreaks are great for this type of thing.

In that world I had 2 river bank tiles within my starting view (wilderness survival scenario) that I got my clay from. I smashed vehicles for frames because it would’ve been faster than smashing them for lumps or chunks of steel.

In terms of raw materials, I only had 3 vehicles at my disposal and most were in decent condition on the frames. I was down to the 2nd last door when the 4th frame dropped for the anvil. Unlike the crucible, you definitely need metal for the anvil.

That particular survivor managed to make a deathmobile, but was killed by a landmine detonating nearby and piercing the hull of an APC along with all the survivor armour, killing him instantly.

In a previous game I searched three towns, that had roughly 8 garages and a fistful of hardware between them, and didn’t find a single hacksaw. I had to forge one myself and after that character retired I played a few games on loot setting 10.00. Which honestly made the game feel more realistic. I mean who has a fully furnished house with just a magazine a pair of jeans and a can of ravioli in it?

But it felt like cheating so I went back to default settings.

In a previous game I searched three towns, that had roughly 8 garages and a fistful of hardware between them, and didn’t find a single hacksaw. I had to forge one myself and after that character retired I played a few games on loot setting 10.00. Which honestly made the game feel more realistic. I mean who has a fully furnished house with just a magazine a pair of jeans and a can of ravioli in it?

But it felt like cheating so I went back to default settings.[/quote]
Especially considering lorewise the game takes place after what a week after the portal crisis.

[quote=“ExecutiveOdin, post:15, topic:14326”]In a previous game I searched three towns, that had roughly 8 garages and a fistful of hardware between them, and didn’t find a single hacksaw. I had to forge one myself and after that character retired I played a few games on loot setting 10.00. Which honestly made the game feel more realistic. I mean who has a fully furnished house with just a magazine a pair of jeans and a can of ravioli in it?

But it felt like cheating so I went back to default settings.[/quote]

I totally know what you mean – I get the notion of people clearing out and taking essentials, but a typical household would leave a ton of stuff behind. Gameplay/scavenge exercise dictates that we can’t be totally self-sufficient just by finding a single house, so it’s a bit of an abstraction both ways.