Starting from scratch living off the land, and I've hit a snag. help?

So i’m ruffing it in the woods going wildman style. I’ve even got to the point where I have a forge going, even got scrap from a hele crash, but I have hit a roadblock.

Its a metal working chisel, and hammer. to make a hammer i need a metal working chisel, and to make a chisel I need a tool of lvl 3 hammering, and well best thing is a normal hammer.

I’m stuck, both need each other to be made, and I don’t really want to ruin my wildman run, and go into town to find one

Am I missing something?

Which version? You need a pair of tongs in mine.

You’ve got an old version there, methinks. Currently, the hammer only requires Hammering 2, tongs, anvil, and forge.

FAKEDIT: dang it bork

[quote=“Tawarochir, post:3, topic:12441”]You’ve got an old version there, methinks. Currently, the hammer only requires Hammering 2, tongs, anvil, and forge.

FAKEDIT: dang it bork[/quote]
These are the experimental version tools necessary

Ah thanks I had forgotten how regularly the experimental updates.

nope, there is nothing else that has hammering 3. maybe post about it in the bugs section, since a catch 22 is kinda messed up.

I agree. I think it is supposed to encourage city scavenging, and limit smithing

You’re supposed to be able to bootstrap smithing. It’s possible that’s changed since I originally added it, though it shouldn’t have.

Isn’t the makeshift hammer the same as a hammer?

Stone/Makeshift Hammer: Hammering 2.
Hammer: Hammering 3.

Honestly the whole idea of hammering grades is silly, but that does stop you from manufacturing a chisel without a real hammer or a toolset. As stated above, you should still be able to make a hammer without a chisel in the experimentals.

Hey there, i don’t have any suggestions but i figured this thread would be a good place to ask: How exactly would you suggest getting started ‘wildman’ style?

I’ve wanted to do a pure-wild playthrough, and even tried a few times, but never got very far. If you could give me any tips, i’d appreciate it <3

[quote=“DarkOcelot, post:11, topic:12441”]Hey there, i don’t have any suggestions but i figured this thread would be a good place to ask: How exactly would you suggest getting started ‘wildman’ style?

I’ve wanted to do a pure-wild playthrough, and even tried a few times, but never got very far. If you could give me any tips, i’d appreciate it <3[/quote]
Well, I’ve played Cata a lot, but I’ve never tried wildman, at all. How would you define “pure-wild” experience? What’s allowed? What’s not? Books?

If you tried it, what problems did you run into?

That being said, I would at least choose a character with Fast Learner trait. That Survival skill needs to go up as fast as possible. That’s what would be important to my character. Next I’d maybe look into Cooking or Fabrication. Cooking = chemistry in Cata, and that’s important for a bunch of medical supplies, IIRC. Not to mention food. Next up: a bit First-Aid skill, which also helps with medical supplies production. Tailoring could be even more important than Survival, depending on the starting season, and depending on would you allow looted clothing. Would you allow gamma globulin shots or vitamin pills or flu shots? Probably not, so that might make any disease resistance worthwile. You would have to be able to kill animals, possibly quickly and efficiently, so don’t go too cheap on Strength or Dexterity. Do you intend to build a cabin of some sort? You’ll need Construction skill. As for other traits… well, at least avoid the ones that are probably really bad for outdoorsmen (e.g. Albino, Frail).

I recall back when I was a contributor, even back then you could make most of everything need with nothing but raw metal and woodland resources. But I explicitly recall that hammering wasn’t the snag, it was the difficulty in gathering enough lumps to make an anvil.

Which was why I added more options to the anvil recipe, like frames and such. Because without enough lumps of steel, you needed goggles to smelt smaller metal items into larger ones, and welding goggles required bolt-turning plus a spray can back then. The latter being uncraftable outright, and the former requiring uncraftable at that stage in the process.

I’ve been playing a sheltered start with low city density (something like 0.3, but you can go lower for full-wildman) and longer season. Surviving a 90 days winter is brutal. I had a semi-succesful character, but my food stock burned in a freak fire accident (still not sure how my chair next to the fire took fire, it was in the shelter’s stove) and I got mauled while trying to gather enough pinecones to survive.