For anyone designing tilesets & adding buildings - I work in an electronics factory

As subject line says, I work in an electronics factory. We turn laminate copper + other raw materials (liquid gold, nickel, etc) into electronics-ready circuit boards. I have photos that I can post or send so y’all can make a hyper-realistic electronics factory, just ask!

Here’s the process in making a simple circuit board:

1. Shearing. Shear the laminate copper sheet(s) together into layers.
  2. Drilling. Drill the appropriate holes, usually measured in mil (thousandths of an inch), into the laminate copper.
  3. Imaging. Take the laminate copper to an imaging room, in all (cancer-causing) yellow light, and image it, like a giant, copper photograph, and place an image of circuit direction onto it.
  4. Etching.
  5. Soldermask / photomask.
  6. Surface finish. This can be done via hot air, Entek, molded white tin, or nickel or gold. This protects the circuit board.
  7. Silkscreen. This is putting circuitboards into obnoxiously-huge printers, just like paper printers but larger, and using a carbon ink or a peelable mask.
  8. Fabrication. This may include more drilling, scoring (to fix them), routing, beveling, flash routes, or power sinks.
  9. Product completion. They’re usually cured so that they dry.

These curcuit boards are NOT fragile - you can drop them without issue or get a bit of rain on them without issue. The problems come due to lots of exposure to the elements (think a leaky roof dripping onto a circuit board or storage for months in a humid warehouse).

Ingredients in the actual product usually include copper. Electronic connectors can include silver, gold, a mix of 73% palladium 27% nickel and a mix of 60% palladium 40% silver. These are included in the circuit boards and typically stored in a liquid form. Circuit boards are put into large vats of liquid gold, liquid silver, or liquid palladium/nickel or palladium/silver.

That’s a sampling on circuit board creation. Next time can be photos of the process, and what an adventurous adventurer might find in a circuit board factory! CDDA can definitely get, ahem, creative with the scientific inventions since it’s based in a more advanced world than our own…

P.S. Circuit board factories are extremely flammable, but not as flammable as plastic factories, which are as flammable as dynamite.

5 Likes

Turning this into a map location in-game would be really cool