Food Compulsion Trait

It’s a thought I had over dinner (ironically enough) that I thought would change up the way that players go about their days and how they prioritize things. Basically, the more hungry you are, the bigger this trait’s penalty would become, and eventually the character becomes uncomfortable enough that they must eat something, because they feel like they have to, both mentally and physically.

When you’re full, you get a “Satisfied” buff to mood, which is negligible by itself, but a small something. If you’re neutral, you get a tiny debuff, simulating the nagging sense in the back of someone’s mind who has a food compulsion - but when you’re legitimately hungry, that penalty starts to build up. The hungrier you are, the worse it gets - and when you become “very hungry,” the penalty hits that magical point that makes it impossible to craft or study, where your character forces you to prioritize eating above anything else. At the wrong time, this could be a very bad thing indeed, and will make players think twice about going anywhere without your meals planned out or preparing rations ahead of time. It also makes binge studying and crafting more complicated, maybe incentivising players to find alternative methods to do the same thing if it’s a long, drawn-out process.

It won’t kill you, but it’d definitely change how people play and provide a small challenge in itself. I thought it would be pretty interesting.

Negating crafting sounds bad here: being too hungry to cook and starving to death in a fully equipped kitchen with tons of flour sounds both frustrating and unrealistic.

Hunger draining focus could be a thing, even without traits.

…actually yes, that does sound bad. Too hungry to craft; can’t cook to eat. Welp.

I find myself doubting if focus is even a noticeable enough thing to fiddle with; I never even pay attention to it unless I’m purposefully binge crafting to raise my level. It isn’t relevant any other time, it seems.

I had an idea acwhile back to add an “addictive personality” trait that would trigger a feature where the player automatically takes drugs if they start having withdrawal. Could do something similar for food, but there’s not much down side to overeating.

Being overfull should/could reduce stamina and increase risk of throwing up.

Even small amounts of vomitus interferes with physical activity and causes discomfort. So morale loss for having thrown up enough to leave a nasty taste in your mouth plus pausing long enough to make sure you spit it out or dont choke in it if its copeous enough.

Then, of course, theres the cramps and such for overeating and running.

Overall, its a nasty affair.

Sounds very frustrating, but of very low consequence if the player (as opposed to the character) takes the pain to avoid it.
Though auto-take as a voluntary feature (togglable) could be a thing. Especially if crafting ever becomes continuous like reading, rather than the current “wait and then instantly complete” like it is right now.

Sounds very frustrating, but of very low consequence if the player (as opposed to the character) takes the pain to avoid it.[/quote]
It would be a way to opt-in to handling addiction in a more serious fashion, requiring the player to avoid drugs instead of simply not taking them once prepared to deal with the withdrawal.

Sounds very frustrating, but of very low consequence if the player (as opposed to the character) takes the pain to avoid it.[/quote]
It would be a way to opt-in to handling addiction in a more serious fashion, requiring the player to avoid drugs instead of simply not taking them once prepared to deal with the withdrawal.[/quote]

I really like this idea. I think that it would be cool to have some kind of auto-pick up and usage with the drug as well. I mean, if a smoker walks right next to a pack of cigarettes, they’ll probably light one up before they know it.

Speaking of drugs, marijuana doesn’t reduce pain, does it? I light up a joint a while back and noticed that my pain level remained the same, despite what I would intuit about the drug. I humbly ask that this is added with a strength relative to aspirin, but if there is a reason as to why not, I would understand.

It would be fun if cannabis also increased hunger level and gave extra morale for eating tasty foods.

And instead of saying “Hungry” or “Very Hungry”, the text would say “Munchies”.

What you’ve described reminds me of gourmand. It could offer a minimized gourmand effect, where you can overeat and food provides better morale.

For me, I have a real drive for collecting medicine. I love the fact that we can make aspirin, poppy cough, poppy painkiller, mugwort oil, thyme oil, and bark tea. I would really like a replenishing stimulant too. I don’t hardly ever use any of the stuff, but my major was pharmacy before I switched it, so I just naturally want to stockpile the stuff.

It does, but in a non-standard way. It gives a small boost to painkiller if it is low enough.

It does increase hunger level a bit.

It does, but in a non-standard way. It gives a small boost to painkiller if it is low enough.[/quote]

So, if I take aspirin and smoke a jay, it’ll make the aspirin more effective. Is that what you are expressing? If so, that’s cool and I’m glad that you have informed me of that.

Painkiller is a hidden value.

Taking asprin increases painkiller.
smoking weed, at least small amounts of it - also increases this same hidden value.

Smoking your drugs and popping your pills wont have an epanded effect, but contribuite to the same value. Which can kill you if it gets too high?

Getting it too high would probably require heroin - or gigantic amounts of other things.

It would be a way to opt-in to handling addiction in a more serious fashion, requiring the player to avoid drugs instead of simply not taking them once prepared to deal with the withdrawal.[/quote]
I think this is a great idea! Seems like this would deal with unrealistic situations where an alcoholic character starts to DT while reading a book though there is a bottle of vodka in his backpack. Dealing with addiction is VERY hard if you’re surrounded by the substances that you’re addicted to.

I thought this thread was going to be about food cravings, like randomly having the need to eat something and suffering a mood penalty if you don’t find it. Like you suddenly feel the need to eat Yogurt

That would be hard to implement without making a list of “crave-able” products.
Not a bad idea, but not easy and not quick to code - we’d run into survivors who crave weird stuff, like blob globs, tainted meat, sewer gas inhalers, raw mushrooms etc.