Font sizing broken in SDL version

Since experimental version #4574 if the console font size is different than the map font (or vice versa) in fonts.json, the UI will not refresh properly when using ASCII tiles. For example, parts of the advanced inventory will remain on screen if opened and closed.

So if:

{ "fontblending" : false, "fontwidth" : 8, <------------------------------THESE VALUES... "fontheight" : 16, <--------------------------/ "fontsize" : 16, "typeface" : "Terminus", "map_fontwidth" : 8, <----------------------...ARE DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER "map_fontheight" : 16, <------------------/ "map_fontsize" : 16, "map_typeface" : "Terminus", "overmap_fontwidth" : 8, "overmap_fontheight" : 16, "overmap_fontsize" : 16, "overmap_typeface" : "Terminus" }

Like this:

{ "fontblending" : false, "fontwidth" : 8, <------------------------------"FONTWIDTH" AND/OR "FONTSIZE" HERE... "fontheight" : 16, <--------------------------/ "fontsize" : 16, "typeface" : "Terminus", "map_fontwidth" : 16, <----------------------...ARE DIFFERENT FROM "FONTWIDTH" AND/OR "FONTSIZE" HERE "map_fontheight" : 16, <------------------/ "map_fontsize" : 16, "map_typeface" : "Terminus", "overmap_fontwidth" : 8, "overmap_fontheight" : 16, "overmap_fontsize" : 16, "overmap_typeface" : "Terminus" }

This basically prevents the use of differing console and map fonts if they require different width/height values to display properly.

I can reproduce this, and it’s a nasty bug, indeed. I’ve posted this as an issue in the repository.

SeanMirrsen seems to have an idea of what’s fundamentally causing it in the bug report here.

Yep. I use “retroasciifont10.png” as overmap typeface, and recently the map screen is a little buggy, with empty black areas that you can clean up moving around the cursor.

May be this is correlated…

[quote=“Marte, post:4, topic:11615”]Yep. I use “retroasciifont10.png” as overmap typeface, and recently the map screen is a little buggy, with empty black areas that you can clean up moving around the cursor.

May be this is correlated…[/quote]

Same thing here, Marte. I rolled back to original overmap font because of this. Thanks for commenting.

Recent changes with the experimental version should help with this issue. Try updating to the latest version and see if it fixes it.

The new update does indeed fix most of the refresh issues.

However, I did still run into two refresh bugs when I tested the latest experimental:

1. The menu that pops up so you can choose what materials to use when crafting doesn’t fully refresh when it disappears.

2. Vehicle headlights cause a black “box” to appear on screen when turned on, overhead lights don’t seem to have this issue.

Both issues went away when I set the console and map font values to be the same, so it seems to be the same bug.

Plus: the map issue with custom overmap typeface seems to be fixed, but the problem is still present in debug section. For example, yesterday I’ve manually spawned a “bandit camp” to ovveride the infamous “Old Guard” bug… And “overmap edit” screen was a real mess, using “retroasciifont10.png” (black blocks + menù pieces here and there…).