Font problem

Hello !

When I run Cataclysm (latest stable) on my PC the font is shown like [][][][][][][] everywhere (strating from menu). I understand that there is some font problem, I have all required fonts installed and still it doesnt help. I don’t have this problem on my laptop and I don’t know what is the difference.

What can I do?

Thanks.

Game select language usins your OS language . Default game font is Terminal. Possibly it doesn’t have your langugage symbols.
Go to Cataclysm\config\fonts.json
And change font

{ "fontblending" : false, "fontwidth" : 8, "fontheight" : 16, "fontsize" : 16, "typeface" : "Terminus (TTF) Bold", "map_fontwidth" : 8, "map_fontheight" : 16, "map_fontsize" : 16, "map_typeface" : "Terminus (TTF) Bold" "overmap_typeface" : "Terminus (TTF) Bold" }
Do not forget that you need to put your font file into Cataclysm\data\font\

For example “Terminus (TTF) Bold” containы Russian language symbols. I use it.

And if you from Russia then you can use this: http://cataclysm-dda.tk/
There is already configured latest russian version. This site updates regularly.

I am from Russia, indeed. :slight_smile:
Thanks for help, Firestorm! I’m pretty sure that’s the correct solution because on my laptop system language is English and that appears to be the difference.
Since you are familiar with font settings maybe you could help me with making field of view in the game bigger? I change terminal height and width but it only changes the window size, my character still sees a lot of stuff beyond the screen. I heard you can play around with font to actually make playing area bigger (to match character’s field of view).

Thanks again!

[quote=“Lesseps, post:3, topic:9325”]I am from Russia, indeed. :slight_smile:
Thanks for help, Firestorm! I’m pretty sure that’s the correct solution because on my laptop system language is English and that appears to be the difference.
Since you are familiar with font settings maybe you could help me with making field of view in the game bigger? I change terminal height and width but it only changes the window size, my character still sees a lot of stuff beyond the screen. I heard you can play around with font to actually make playing area bigger (to match character’s field of view).

Thanks again![/quote]
If you are using tiles to play:
Take in mind that in Tile mode you can press “Z” to zoom out and “Shift+Z” to zoom in. There are 3 levels of zoom now.
Also If you are using tiles then it depends on tileset a lot. Defeult teleset is “Chesthole”. It uses 24 px tiles. It may be slightly big. You may try “Retrodays10px” or “Retrodays20px.” That tileset uses smaller tiles.
You can change current tileset in Graphics tab in optins menu.

[hr]
If you are using ascii mode:
You cant zoom out in ASCII mode.
It depends a lot on font size.
Let me explain settings in Cataclysm\config\fonts.json:

"fontblending" : false, "fontwidth" : 8, <= Width of menu and panel letter placeholders "fontheight" : 16, <= Height of menu and panel letter placeholders "fontsize" : 16, <= Size on font of menu and panel letter placeholders "typeface" : "Terminus (TTF) Bold", <= Name of font of menu and panel "map_fontwidth" : 8, <= Width of game field placeholders "map_fontheight" : 16, <=Height of game field placeholders "map_fontsize" : 16, <=Font size of game field placeholders "map_typeface" : "Terminus (TTF) Bold" <=Font name of game field "overmap_typeface" : "Terminus (TTF) Bold" <=Font name of game map (then you press "m")

So to incease your field of view in ASCII mode just should reduce “map_fontwidth”, “map_fontheight” and “map_fontsize”. It depends a lot on your ability to see sybmols and on the font. Some fonts looks better ther others. So you need to expriment with settings.
Try, for example:

"map_fontwidth" : 12, "map_fontheight" : 12, "map_fontsize" : 12,

Also I am playing on SDL version. I recommend to use it even in ASCII mode becuse it is faster (on Windows only maybe). On Curses version on Windows looks like the only settings that changes font is

"fontwidth" : 8, "fontheight" : 16, "fontsize" : 16, "typeface"
But in depends on Terminal a lot.

Also you should notice that game informs you about creatures out of screen using game compass on right panel. It is very handy.

The overmap font also has overmap_[tt]height[/tt] / overmap_[tt]width[/tt] and overmap_[tt]size[/tt] properties, just like the map font

Thanks for all the support, guys!