Flexible Glass Yellow Pages

Surfboards, tent poles Gliders, kit cars, sports cars, microcars, karts, bodyshells, boats, kayaks, flat roofs, lorries, K21 Infantry Fighting Vehicle. Minesweeper hulls Pods, domes and architectural features where a light weight is necessary. High end bicycles. Bodyparts for and entire automobiles, such as the Anadol, Reliant, Quantum Quantum Coupé, Chevrolet Corvette and Studebaker Avanti, and DeLorean DMC-12 under body. A320 radome. FRP tanks and vessels: FRP is used extensively to manufacture chemical equipment and tanks and vessels. BS4994 is a British standard related to this application. UHF-broadcasting antennas are often mounted inside a fiberglass cylinder on the pinnacle of a broadcasting tower Most commercial velomobiles Most printed circuit boards used in electronics consist of alternating layers of copper and fibreglass FR-4. Large Commercial wind turbine Blades RF coils used in MRI scanners Sub sea installation protection covers Re-enforcement of asphalt pavement, as a fabric or mesh interlayer between lifts.[19] Protective helmets used in various sports. Orthopedic casts.[20] Fiberglass Grating is used for walkways on ships, oil rigs and in factories.

I like this in principle. Altough it sounds complicated to work with (fabrication-wide), this should lift some spirits up:
Fiberglass & Composite Materials: An Enthusiast’s Guide to High Performance Non-Metallic Materials for Automotive Racing and Marine Use this
I mean, if there was a fiberglass kayak in that Sporting Goods store, one could make so many uses out of it.
You could make a Fiberglass Dome (just look at the wiki)
You could bring up your game with a fiberglass bubble of some sort, with reinforced-glass limbs as cutting implements to serve as weaponry.
Since it’s so lightweight, the game could finally enjoy flying devices made of carbon-glass fibre with few utilities to get it off the ground powered by combustion or electric engines.
When the game flows even deeper underwater, the pod of yours oughta be made out of it. Underwater-zombie goosebumps!
You could wear a coat of fiberglass spikes and painstake every nearing undead monkey

…and your imagination.

So? Win-win or what?

Definetly

Carbon fiber sword. Because really.

Fiberglass?

That’s a whole new area of crafting we don’t have.

I like the cut of your jib!

wear a mask over that mouth or enjoy the torso damage. (uuugh, fiberglass in my skiiiin)

Or just include a filter mask/gasmask/survivor mask in the tool part of the recipes like the advanced welding recipes call for welding goggles?

Probably a better solution, that.

Oh, just imagine a Fallout-looking dude in a blimp, with a 50-feet-wide blade he snitched off some air vent swooping just below, drifting three feet above the landscape thus ridding the world from undeath.

Fibreglass items would be interesting to have lying around, but unfeasible for player-made crafting, because:

Unlike glass fibers used for insulation, for the final structure to be strong, the fiber's surfaces [b]must be almost entirely free of defects[/b], as this permits the fibers to reach gigapascal tensile strengths. If a bulk piece of glass were to be defect free, then it would be equally as strong as glass fibers; however, it is generally impractical to produce bulk material in a defect-free state outside of laboratory conditions.

The manufacturing process for glass fibers suitable for reinforcement uses large furnaces to gradually melt the silica sand, limestone, kaolin clay, fluorspar, colemanite, dolomite and other minerals to liquid form. Then it is extruded through bushings, which are bundles of very small orifices (typically 5–25 micrometres in diameter for E-Glass, 9 micrometres for S-Glass). These filaments are then sized (coated) with a chemical solution. The individual filaments are now bundled together in large numbers to provide a roving. The diameter of the filaments, as well as the number of filaments in the roving determine its weight. This is typically expressed in yield-yards per pound (how many yards of fiber in one pound of material, thus a smaller number means a heavier roving, example of standard yields are 225yield, 450yield, 675yield) or in tex-grams per km (how many grams 1 km of roving weighs, this is inverted from yield, thus a smaller number means a lighter roving, examples of standard tex are 750tex, 1100tex, 2200tex).
These rovings are then either used directly in a composite application such as pultrusion, filament winding (pipe), gun roving (automated gun chops the glass into short lengths and drops it into a jet of resin, projected onto the surface of a mold), or used in an intermediary step, to manufacture fabrics such as chopped strand mat (CSM) (made of randomly oriented small cut lengths of fiber all bonded together), woven fabrics, knit fabrics or uni-directional fabrics.

A sort of coating, or primer, is used which both helps protect the glass filaments for processing/manipulation as well as ensure proper bonding to the resin matrix, thus allowing for transfer of shear loads from the glass fibers to the thermoset plastic. Without this bonding, the fibers can ‘slip’ in the matrix and localised failure would ensue.

Emphasis mine; there’s a lot of things here that are pretty much impossible in the post-apocalyptic condition.
-Free of Defects: That level of precision is impossible, in something you’re just scraping together; you need a well-oiled industrial process.
-Large Furnaces: These aren’t the puny stoves you use for cooking and forging; we’re talking like a house-sized industrial furnace, which you probably cannot power.
-Micrometer Orifices: Micrometers are small. You can’t produce things with such tiny, precise openings without very high-end equipment, which is bulky and difficult to run.
-Hundreds of Yards of Material per Pound: That’s some really fine weaving. Given the precision needed (read: free of defects), you absolutely need a huge machine to do this for you.

Now, if/when we get to a level of re-powering old factories, these projects stop looking completely impossible. But until then, you’re not going to do much fibreglass crafting short of maybe using a patch kit to repair a fibreglass item.

I don’t think anybody’s pushing for industrial production of the base materials. Sure, that stuff takes a big fancy modern factory so we can forget it.

I think the idea here is for the sort of fiberglass crafting you can do in your garage, where you buy the bonding agents and the sheets and you put it together like itchy paper mache.

I think Endovior didn’t read the original post where I point out to the wikis and the book title with references to building with existing f-glass pannels and shaping it into forms through easy-to-remember processes. So reality - <[check]>
In fact if you looked at all the applications and modifications to the “weave” as you call it, you’d find that the pricing range is the sole reason you aren’t seeing it all the time. The other one is probably due to your lack of knowledge on casts and molds, since even homemade skateboards are made of “f”.
You could look into the process of glass making and hardening, but the real issue here is if I’ll be able to put same motorbike wheels on a stolen canu and improvise a sail so, due to lightweight, I can sail across the wasteland.

[quote=“Rivet, post:10, topic:3317”]I don’t think anybody’s pushing for industrial production of the base materials. Sure, that stuff takes a big fancy modern factory so we can forget it.

I think the idea here is for the sort of fiberglass crafting you can do in your garage, where you buy the bonding agents and the sheets and you put it together like itchy paper mache.[/quote]

My dad and I fixed a canoe like this. Easy as hell, though we had to use some powertools to sand and polish it really smooth. That was mostly for aesthetics so he could paint over the patch and blend it in invisibly.

The only trouble would be finding intact fiberglass repair kits, really. They’d become more scares with time in game I guess, due to cited lack of raw production means. I don’t see that as a major setback.