Fish

Is there any way to get some more fish? I think I have eaten all the fish in the river near my home=[
Maybe it’s time for me to move to a new place now=[

I dont think fish can actually run out (unless the game explicitly told you so) its more likely that you’ve got several bad rolls in a row.

If you’ve got some swim goggles, try putting those on and going in the water and making sure there aren’t zombies down there killing all the fish.

I once got killed by a jabberwock underwater.

After that I decided to use bridges on a much more regular basis.

You actually can fish all the fish from the river.

I’ve fished ONE fish, with the rest being killed by zombies (and leaving corpses that butcher for “fresh” fillets that instantly turn rotten on pickup), from local area, and it turned entire river to the north from fishing spot barren.

Unless the populations of fish are dwindling [sup], my liege[/sup] after the Cataclysm, you miiiight want to adjust it to need weeks or months of rod-fishing before it goes barren. And add netting.

Zombies can kill fish effortlessly because of two oversights:
Monster vision code doesn’t understand water-to-water vision (ie. all monsters have 100% efficient swimming goggles).
Monster movement code makes no sound and fish have no other fear trigger (they have an unimplemented “PLAYER_CLOSE” trigger, which was meant only for anger).

Both of those are relatively easily fixable and should keep zeds from wrecking all the fish.

Zombies can kill fish effortlessly because of two oversights:
Monster vision code doesn’t understand water-to-water vision (ie. all monsters have 100% efficient swimming goggles).
Monster movement code makes no sound and fish have no other fear trigger (they have an unimplemented “PLAYER_CLOSE” trigger, which was meant only for anger).

Both of those are relatively easily fixable and should keep zeds from wrecking all the fish.[/quote]

Sweet, sounds like that’s a simple fix. It’s a bummer to constantly see corpses in all the rivers.

Note to self: clean zombies out of nearby rivers ASAP to protect local fish populations. So that I can eat them.

OK, so I was wrong. Wrong about it being trivial to implement and also wrong about PLAYER_CLOSE being anger-only.

But I think I got it. I’ll send a PR soon. It might not get accepted today, because it will either depend on or conflict with my monster faction update PR.

The non-trivial part was because the whole vision checking happens in a relatively often used function (vision range), so I couldn’t just fix it the simplest way or it could have a noticeable effect on performance.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:10, topic:8741”]OK, so I was wrong. Wrong about it being trivial to implement and also wrong about PLAYER_CLOSE being anger-only.

But I think I got it. I’ll send a PR soon. It might not get accepted today, because it will either depend on or conflict with my monster faction update PR.

The non-trivial part was because the whole vision checking happens in a relatively often used function (vision range), so I couldn’t just fix it the simplest way or it could have a noticeable effect on performance.[/quote]

I’m giving this one priority as a bugfix. Kevin’s aren’t playing nice together either.

Zombies should not be capable of fishing from deep water now.
Except zombie fish, swimmer zombies and other natural swimmers. Those should chase fish into shallow water and then kill them there.
Fish getting stuck on shallow water when fleeing won’t be fixed soon, because that would require either ugly hacks or actual pathfinding (which could get expensive).