Finding new evac shelters

I re-use my worlds a lot and wanted to know how attaining new evac shelters to spawn in works.

Are they added when I move past the generated map and a new one is made or do I have to uncover them on the map screen?

The former. If one exists on the map currently generated, it’s an eligible spawn point. If you want more, you’ll have to explore far enough that DDA gens more overmap for you. :wink:

I’m assuming I cant cheat teleport to the edge of the known map and then reveal more right?

If you’re gonna be that way about it, may as well just main-force the whole thing.

Debug reveal map (reveals the entire overmap you’re in), debug longport to the edge, head about 5-10 map tiles across it, and now you’re in a New Overmap. All the shelters in the existing map remain potential spawn sites, FWIW.

I tried that a while ago and I never ended up spawning in the new evac shelters I revealed. Guess I’ll try it again.

How does this effect the spawning in a house location? Just picks a random house from the newly revealed map area?

The game only searches the overmap (0,0) for starting points. All the other overmaps are ignored. What a character has seen does not matter at all. Btw. overmap::first_house is the function that searches for the starting place, it’s only called on the initial overmap.

Don’t understand what any of that means. Sorry.

Is 0,0 in the middle of the main overmap or on one of the corners. If the search starts at 0,0 then as long as you are moving in a +,+ direction then it should be scanned right?

Ok so I tried the reveal map and long teleport trick. Rolled 5 characters and they all spawned in old evac shelters.

I went west and southwest with the cheating method revealing several (6 or 7) new overmap . Bug maybe?

With (0,0) I meant the coordinates of the overmap. They are shown in the map view (bottom right corner): the first number is the z-level, the second the x-coordinate of the overmap, the third is the x-coordinate of the overmap terrain (e.g. house, evac shelter, forest), the fourth is the y-coordinate of the overmap and the fith is the y-coordinate of the overmap terrain.

But to rephrase what I said on my previous post: the game searches for starting locations on the initial overmap only. It does not matter how many overmap have been created in the world, or how many some character has discovered, etc. It simply scans the initial overmap for suitable locations and randomly chooses one of them.

Seems that player expect to start any where in the created world, so maybe this should be changed accordingly.

just wondering, is the new evac shelter the large one above ground with a lot of supplies?

Seems that player expect to start any where in the created world, so maybe this should be changed accordingly.

I like this idea

i think it would be convineint and annoying if the evac centers windows were boarded up by default in world gen,

[quote=“BevapDin, post:10, topic:7037”]With (0,0) I meant the coordinates of the overmap. They are shown in the map view (bottom right corner): the first number is the z-level, the second the x-coordinate of the overmap, the third is the x-coordinate of the overmap terrain (e.g. house, evac shelter, forest), the fourth is the y-coordinate of the overmap and the fith is the y-coordinate of the overmap terrain.

But to rephrase what I said on my previous post: the game searches for starting locations on the initial overmap only. It does not matter how many overmap have been created in the world, or how many some character has discovered, etc. It simply scans the initial overmap for suitable locations and randomly chooses one of them.

Seems that player expect to start any where in the created world, so maybe this should be changed accordingly.[/quote]

Looks like I was wrong. Sorry, all.

Too easy m8