Features with Z-Levels: How it would affect Gameplay

One thing to remember everyone is this is a game where I can read books and work on a car to become skilled enough do basically do brain surgery on myself to install some bionics, or mutate into an unholy beast of terror that will die of its own radiation in a few days. We don’t need to keep everything realistic, for the sake of fun game play let there be jet packs that most players end up crashing into the ground with from 100+ft because they forgot to refuel.

No u.

No u.[/quote]

You can make a chargable pulse rifle out of a few circuit boards, some scrap, and a needle for drawing blood.

While you might be able to explain away the materials, unless your household batteries are fallout fission batteries, there isn’t much chance in real life of blowing apart an 8 foot mound of flesh with a pulse rifle (modern ones can only burn small holes in plastic/flesh and light wood on fire).

Realism hasn’t been at the party in well over 2 years ( I can’t confirm prior to that). Coders and writers define the rules of reality in a game, so there is no reason to immediately stomp out an idea… just make it impractical. Frankly, if an advanced ups can hold enough energy for multiple fusion reactions, I have no trouble believing it can send a plucky survivor into a parabola of death: burial included.

Ok, let’s go with that one then, I’m the head coder for the project, and I don’t think throwing a reasonable approximation of reality out the window based on some ill-defined “rule of cool” is a good idea. Appeal to authority when arguing with the project lead, great plan :slight_smile:

I’m not even that opposed to having sci-fi like rocketpacks in the game, I’m just irritated at you kibitzing a perfectly reasonable discussion about the pros and cons of personal flight technologies with drivel about “We don’t need to keep everything realistic, for the sake of fun game play”. You’re begging the question that tossing out realism is necessary for fun, it’s not. Fun AND realism is what I’m going for.

Ok, let’s go with that one then, I’m the head coder for the project, and I don’t think throwing a reasonable approximation of reality out the window based on some ill-defined “rule of cool” is a good idea. Appeal to authority when arguing with the project lead, great plan :slight_smile:

I’m not even that opposed to having sci-fi like rocketpacks in the game, I’m just irritated at you kibitzing a perfectly reasonable discussion about the pros and cons of personal flight technologies with drivel about “We don’t need to keep everything realistic, for the sake of fun game play”. You’re begging the question that tossing out realism is necessary for fun, it’s not. Fun AND realism is what I’m going for.[/quote]
Heated argument about Fun x Realism aside and back onto the jetpack bus; considering that hydrogen powered things are already in game, engines and weapons and what not, and eyebots float by god knows what means. Some form of personal flight device isn’t that farfetched given the lore of the game. Robots and lasers, cybernetic enhancements. Perhaps if any jetpack or otherwise levitation device were implemented I would imagine it would either take power from the bionic pool or copious amounts of hydrogen. Who knows what kind of crazy things those scientists cooked up in those labs? Stuff we’re talking about is quite a ways off but still fun to think about anyway.