Favorite base

Can anyone confirm for me if there’s actually any reason why I shouldn’t make a vehicle mostly consisting of seats/beds and dump items on those to turn it into a mobile base? I can’t really see the point in using trunks unless I want items to be hidden.

You can’t pull shopping carts into them. Other than that, not much, really.

Also, what’s that huge(?) cargo container for? The one that you can craft and it looks like it should be some kind of roof rack.

Some kind of open storage. Holds 1000 volume. Using it as the bed of my lumber hauling ‘Fetch’.
Lots of resources to make it, but nothing rare. I’m actually thinking that I’ll (eventually) replace my vehicle’s trunks with them.

Easiest way to get the ropes is probably to pull seatbelts off all the cars lying around. That’s 6’ per seatbelt, about 4 per car.

So does this thing take up multiple squares on the map (not possible, right?) or is it just like having a SUPER HUGE capacity trunk / seat?

I’m partial to Apartment Buildings.
They tend to be closer to cities than mansions or LMOE shelters, which makes for easier, quicker looting. And importantly, they’ve got plenty of room for storing that loot.
Also, they have a whole bunch of stuff already in them - each room has food and drinks in the kitchen, furniture that can be broken down, clothing to get rags and leather from, etc. There are beds to sleep on, as well as fridges for food storage. The zombies that inhabit apartments can easily be dealt with at a window, and they don’t tend to be shockers or spitters (like at public works buildings).
While LMOE shelters do have a water supply, that’s never been a problem for me. I tend to fill a steel jerrycan at the nearest pool/river/swamp and run the purifier on it, and the water supply lasts for seasons.

My very favriote bases are random highway gas stations (by highway I mean out in the middle of nowhere) and LMOE shelters cause they are awesome. Cabins are awesome as well but I have yet to use one as a base. My forth fav is a cleared out town. (Note I don’t take bases if they are too close to say a triffid grove or something)

One major drawback with a vehicle base is crafting.
I play 0.9 and it seems that if crafting ingredients are on the ground it is enough for me to stand on the same tile and I can use the ingredients in crafting.
When I have the stuff inside a vehicle I can not do the same thing. Then I have to pick up the items before I craft.
Or am I missing something?

[quote=“RoboViking, post:69, topic:2994”]One major drawback with a vehicle base is crafting.
I play 0.9 and it seems that if crafting ingredients are on the ground it is enough for me to stand on the same tile and I can use the ingredients in crafting.
When I have the stuff inside a vehicle I can not do the same thing. Then I have to pick up the items before I craft.
Or am I missing something?[/quote]

Yeah, nah. Sadly, it seems that your character in Cataclysm is an invalid who doesn’t know how to open storage boxes and shit when crafting, so anything in a seat, trunk, or any other type of storage is out of reach.

I’m actually surprised that not many people like public works…

The ‘compound’ (I had to try and spell that 4 or 5 times before i realized I was missing the second o…just fyi) feel of the public works just feels right to me. Enough space to build a decent rig for raiding and travel along with plenty of storage options and the fence is just about perfect. after a few easy modifications its a fantastic place to make home for me personally

Not a ‘base’ type player. Getting a car, roaming around and collecting the stuff I need is my way to go. Up to the point where map loading times make it useless to continue. Even if it’s only once in a while, waiting a minute or two can be annoying.

Same here. I always plan on eventually settling down and building a custom home in a nice spot with a great view to go full lumberjack mode. Have played since 0.3 and this has yet to happen, which probably speaks volumes about how long I tend to live.

A few versions ago, I had this wonderful log mansion out in the woods. It had a spiked moat surrounding it, a garden (farming was not introduced then so I just filled it with funnels (which even then just filled instantly when it rained)), a bedroom, a kitchen, a library, a garage, a workshop… it was great!

And then a jabberwock ragdolled out of the woods and stole my limbs.

Wait… wait what?

Those things exist outside of NPC quests?

OH GOD.

At one point they where as common as zombies.

In non-static spawn.

[quote=“prytoclasm, post:72, topic:2994”]Not a ‘base’ type player. Getting a car, roaming around and collecting the stuff I need is my way to go. Up to the point where map loading times make it useless to continue. Even if it’s only once in a while, waiting a minute or two can be annoying.[/quote] I used to be that way. But then cata crashed and deleted my car with all my stuff in it 'cept what I had on me. Also my psyche can’t take it when I dent my preious car. Bump! OH THE HUMANITY!! I don’t even take my vehicles out anymore I prefer walking (but still love vehicles for some reason).

I’m a fan of churches, if near enough to water. Stone walls, lots of benches to disassemble, the little naves off the corners make great crafting rooms. Good even to start, with braziers for cooking. All the windows are a pain in the tuckus, but after they get boarded up it’s pretty safe. Until midnight telepathic teleporting Zombears start appearing next to your bed and gnaw your noggin.
As a side question, why Zombears, but not Zomooses?

STOP GIVING THEM IDEAS.

ZOMBEARS ARE BAD ENOUGH

NUUUUUUUU NOT ZOMMOSSES!