Favorite base

Oh, they can’t go down the stairs? I just assumed enemies could.

Oops. That… would seem to make having a secure base a lot less important.

Well, if an enemy is right behind you, they’ll follow you down the stairs. But generally, different levels are out of your reality bubble, so for the most part you’ll be safe as long as you stay downstairs. Of course, you can’t set up a nice solar-powered framework downstairs without a lot of shuffling back and forth with a storage battery. Everywhere has its upsides and downsides.

I just found a hotel tower. Now, I’m not planning on using it as a base, but it does occur to me that living upstairs is a potential option… but… The lifts have no power, and the only stairs are to the basement. How would you get up there?

You can’t.

Z-Levels, remember?

Wait, why don’t basements etc count as Z levels?

Anyway the reason I asked is because I found a web page with the original suggestion for the hotel tower, and it said there would be 5 levels.

Seems that’s completely untrue.

I think the deal with Z-levels is that the devs want them to be properly implemented and connected, so for instance, if you destroy all the walls of the first floor, the entire structure will come tumbling down. Basements are fine as they are, though, because they don’t affect the stability of the first floor.

Anyhow hotels are a pretty good base nonetheless, a water supply and a basement, plus lots of parking space.

Water supply? You mean… sewage pipes? Eww…

I think I’m better off with my funnels and jerry cans, though of course I need to go outside to get those.

Uh, I was referring to the large basement swimming pool. Way more hygienic than rainwater.

Well, except all the verrucas and fecal matter found in it.

The hotel I found apparently lacked a swimming pool. I only found a gym.

Anyway, I’ve just successfully made a “vehicle” as part of my shelter. It has a large solar array and a lot of batteries. Headlights and floodlights on it to light up my shelter, a kitchen and chemistry lab. It’ll have a FoodCo buddy or whatever it’s called… as soon as I can find myself a Hand press and die set.

I have a SWAGE and die set, but not the ammo making one. So annoying.

The FOODCO buddy does not replace the RV kitchen unit.

MEANING IT WILL NOT COOK FOOD

I know. And besides, the kitchen is my drinking water supply for the shelter now. It’s less annoying than picking up and drinking from containers.

Oh. Well I didn’t know when I built it…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Any suggestions on where to find those blasted Hand press and die sets?

This town has no gun stores it seems. I found various gun related stuff in basements, but not one of those.

You are the luckiest Cataclysm player ever.

Now if you don’t mind, I need to run away from these giant frogs, enormous slugs, humungous mosquitos, and hordes of dermatiks that have followed me home from the river.[/quote]
I’ve been playing since before vehicles were added, and have never encountered any of those mobs before.

You are the luckiest Cataclysm player ever.

Now if you don’t mind, I need to run away from these giant frogs, enormous slugs, humungous mosquitos, and hordes of dermatiks that have followed me home from the river.[/quote]
I’ve been playing since before vehicles were added, and have never encountered any of those mobs before.[/quote]

You’ve been wise to avoid the swamps, then!

You might not even encounter them in swamps- IF you are careful about the amount of noise you make.

Just don’t bring a car in there for any extended period of time.

starting shelter:

console for light, plenty of space, a big basement, usually far from town, starting npc lives there, plenty of room for improvements/customization.

Farms, pretty much. A bit difficult to clear out on higher spawn levels without proper equipment but they’re still the best, specially if one can be found near a river and far far away from any kind swamp. Having had read about all the nightmares people encountered in swamps, I avoided them like the plague. Since I’ve been playing since the time construction was just added in, that means a few years.

Anyway, only the windows need to be barricaded (except for the one in the toilet to escape) and combined with the huge amount of barbed wire fences, you’re pretty much living in farmer’s paradise on zombie-land. Water could be a problem, but that’s what funnels are for. Wandering NPCs are a curse, though, given that they’ll always wander around your farm like game-crashing vultures.

[quote=“ComputerWarrior, post:58, topic:2994”]Farms, pretty much. A bit difficult to clear out on higher spawn levels without proper equipment but they’re still the best, specially if one can be found near a river and far far away from any kind swamp. Having had read about all the nightmares people encountered in swamps, I avoided them like the plague. Since I’ve been playing since the time construction was just added in, that means a few years.

Anyway, only the windows need to be barricaded (except for the one in the toilet to escape) and combined with the huge amount of barbed wire fences, you’re pretty much living in farmer’s paradise on zombie-land. Water could be a problem, but that’s what funnels are for. Wandering NPCs are a curse, though, given that they’ll always wander around your farm like game-crashing vultures.[/quote]

NPC Ted: “Pretty nice farm ya gots there. I’m gunna’ sit out here and try to reload my 9mm Pistol with this here steak knife for a few days. Catch ya later!”

1. LMOE shelter; water, basement, metal door. Would love to have a console for reading but I can make do without. It is mostly for flavour because 2. is definitely better.

2. A custom vehicle, armoured and with a ton of storage space.

3. A structure or vehicle appropriated for temporary use while I set up 1. and 2.