Favorite base

He could be playing Classic, too. Since giant insects are courtesy of The Blob, they’re gone in that mode.

Ok, I went all the way back to my olg evac shelter home ( I forgot that I moved to a science lab far away). and investigated the river again. It’s acutally more of small a lake because it’s just a tiny river patch that leads nowhere. So I ran a few times around it (found some wreckage with a G3 there :3) but never encountered any of those mobs you are talking about.
I am playing with regular (not classic) zombies and with static spawn. Is it because of static spawn that I can’t find those things? Or are they only around swamps?

Here’s a screenshot of the map, there you can see the distance between old home and its water source.

[quote=“Rookie, post:22, topic:2994”]Ok, I went all the way back to my olg evac shelter home ( I forgot that I moved to a science lab far away). and investigated the river again. It’s acutally more of small a lake because it’s just a tiny river patch that leads nowhere. So I ran a few times around it (found some wreckage with a G3 there :3) but never encountered any of those mobs you are talking about.
I am playing with regular (not classic) zombies and with static spawn. Is it because of static spawn that I can’t find those things? Or are they only around swamps?

Here’s a screenshot of the map, there you can see the distance between old home and its water source.
[/quote]

There’s no river tiles there, just riverbank. Not sure which tiles river spawns are tied too though.

LMOE shelters are far away from anything useful. always found them a hassle to track back and forth from. they tend to be in woods too, so cars don’t go up to them.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:23, topic:2994”][quote=“Rookie, post:22, topic:2994”]Ok, I went all the way back to my olg evac shelter home ( I forgot that I moved to a science lab far away). and investigated the river again. It’s acutally more of small a lake because it’s just a tiny river patch that leads nowhere. So I ran a few times around it (found some wreckage with a G3 there :3) but never encountered any of those mobs you are talking about.

[/quote]

There’s no river tiles there, just riverbank. Not sure which tiles river spawns are tied too though.[/quote]

River spawns typically hit either Deep or Swamp. That’s a Lake you’ve got there. Those ARE an asset. Use 'em.

I’ve had that couple of characters I’ve been running with from the start, and those “shorter” games tend to use the most of resources around. Wondrous increments in establishing of a base are:

1. A nice shelter. It’s up to five map squares from the town, surrounded by woods, and on a crossroads to several key points around. I can stick to it if it’s right in the center midst four or so towns, and defend it by killing predators around and clearing out enemy bases.
  2. Suburban home. Squash the undead, wear their clothes and sleep in their beds. Partake in community events such as the Carmageddon in Uptown and the Molotov Rave. Become a virtual hoarder in practically no time, a proud owner of tens of thousands of threads and 100s of dust masks.
  3. The Small Gas Station. If you’re still into all that pollution even after the apocalypse, there could be a small facility just for you, as for me. They’re often in midst of a forest streak, so you can enjoy your squirrel-on-a-stick while welding one of many car wrecks in the nearest vicinity. The cool thing is thatyou start with a copious ammount of diesel fuel and town(s) are just a few mins of reckless driving away. The bad things…? Well, triffs and fungs, swamp crits that sometimes invade, ants and bees,all the things you cherish when opening your base doors in the morning towards cataclysm. You’ll just love the soldier ant that squeezes your bottox in pitch dark with his strong mandibles, a true chapter fury of a romance novel.

I guess farms are now cool? I mean, y’all like doing nuthin’ all day smokin’ homegrown bud?

Hm. My top three favorite base locations? Well, three and two are my Mega Solar Truck of Holding in its various iterations. The number one location I had for a base is the one I want to elaborate on.

My favorite base location is anywhere within two squares of a lava tile. In one of my playthroughs, I had come across one of the strips of lava you sometimes find on the surface. I had a tent with me at the time. Out of curiosity, I placed the tent right next to the lava. Because tents are basically a cot surrounded by a wall, the tent wall sheltered me from the blistering heat of the lava. The center of the tent was two squares away from the lava, which is the maximum distance you can be from a tool or required item when crafting. Lava doubles as a fire source. I had created a shelter that kept me safe from the heat and provided me with an infinite fire source. I had the means to cook meat and boil water and pretty much survive indefinitely with no real effort required. This was out in the middle of nowhere as well, putting me away from annoying spawners like anthills and beehives and such.

The only downside of the whole setup is that tents aren’t very warm places to sleep during the winter. During the winter I found myself often freezing even though I was sleeping two squares away from molten rock, because the wall shielded the heat from me completely. If I stepped outside and tried to sleep there, I would quickly get very hot and start cooking. I couldn’t get a decent night’s sleep there no matter what I did. I had planned to build a base straddling the lava, but I lost that save to an experimental update.

I really liked that setup. That’s pretty much my favorite setup. Just the thought of setting up a tent next to lava and cooking meat inside, only to fall asleep and wake up because of frostbite due to freezing cold temperatures, makes me smile.

Yeah, I built a cabin near a lava rift once. Needed a window to let the heat in.

(Was a pain to build, though.)

You are the luckiest Cataclysm player ever.

Now if you don’t mind, I need to run away from these giant frogs, enormous slugs, humungous mosquitos, and hordes of dermatiks that have followed me home from the river.[/quote]
I swear, I’ve played this game for a long time now and never encountered ANY of those mobs. I read about them in the forums and the wiki… I doubt their existance!!![/quote]

They are real believe me :). Go for a swim, you’ll eventually find giant frogs haha. As for the mosquito’s and slugs etc, they do exist and it sucks when they spawn like crazy by rivers and swamps though. I see them more near swamps than rivers unless I am crossing a bridge and they pop up or I get unlucky and they happen to have a spawn by a certain place. I lived next to a River before with no problems but sometimes it happens and it does suck lol.

My best spot was a small gas station in the woods about three tiles from a mansion. Although I never got around to cleaning up the place the zeds never bothered me at home.

That guy died looking for friends and finding a landmine in a bush.

[quote=“KA101, post:28, topic:2994”]Yeah, I built a cabin near a lava rift once. Needed a window to let the heat in.

(Was a pain to build, though.)[/quote]
Summer/winter transitions would easily be handled by some nice fireproof curtains.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:31, topic:2994”][quote=“KA101, post:28, topic:2994”]Yeah, I built a cabin near a lava rift once. Needed a window to let the heat in.

(Was a pain to build, though.)[/quote]
Summer/winter transitions would easily be handled by some nice fireproof curtains.[/quote]

Yeah, make 'em out of Tent or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

to keep warm all you had to do was grab a sleeping bag from a sports store or science lab armory.

In the dev version, having clothing on the ground will keep you warm. You can have blankets and sleeping bags under you and keep warm.

Lava and fire provide radiante heat that is blocked by sight, however tents would warm up real easy and heat the air inside the tent. That gets complicated, but I am working on implementing more infrastructure to take care of that. Don’t expect anything soon, however ;p

Is there any reason why you can’t build a “vehicle” out of two steel frames, a battery, an engine, and a floodlight?

You could then effectively load it up with batteries or fuel and use it as a light source. Pretty much a generator.

Is there any reason why you can’t build a “vehicle” out of two steel frames, a battery, an engine, and a floodlight?

You could then effectively load it up with batteries or fuel and use it as a light source. Pretty much a generator.[/quote]

Yep.

Alternatively, I’m pretty sure you can smash out a section of wall, and build a “vehicle” in the hole with a piece of frame outside to mount solar panels on, and plop a floodlight or headlight on it and aim it inwards to light the inside of the house.

I haven’t tried it yet, as I usually end up in mobile bases anyway.

I imagine that would work fine too.

I’ve been considering lighting up my shelter with floodlights on each side and one in the room itself in this way.

Don’t have enough parts yet though.

Also I’m considering whether to relocate…

I found not one, but two military bunkers. One is really close to my shelter. The other is quite a lot further away, and is down a long road from town.

Also, there’s a nuke silo down another road…

My main problem at the moment is zombie bears invading the shelter.

What should I do? I COULD just wall up the windows. Or I could move into one of the lovely bunkers with fences around them.

Zombears can smash through walled-up windows effortlessly,and can tear through an ordinary wall with enough time and inclination.

Well, crap.

Should I move into the nearby military bunker then?

The only disadvantage I can see is that there were some military and science zombies spawning around there earlier, but compared to zombears…

Well, zombears are a problem basically anywhere you go. As long as you go out and stab them whenever you hear them knocking they aren’t much of an issue. Plus if you’re worried about them attacking when you sleep both the bunkers and the shelter have a basement, where you can sleep without hassle.