Farming

[quote=“Sunflash, post:20, topic:9032”]its like we have on one hand a bunch of folks who like the idea of base building.

and on the othet hand, a bunch of people who think it shouldn’t be allowed.[/quote]
I’d say that we have a bunch of folk who want game to be hard and on the other hand we have a bunch of people who want the game to be easy and I would be as right as you with my statement.

[quote=“Vorchar, post:21, topic:9032”][quote=“Sunflash, post:20, topic:9032”]its like we have on one hand a bunch of folks who like the idea of base building.

and on the othet hand, a bunch of people who think it shouldn’t be allowed.[/quote]
I’d say that we have a bunch of folk who want game to be hard and on the other hand we have a bunch of people who want the game to be easy and I would be as right as you with my statement.[/quote]

all in how you view it i guess. :stuck_out_tongue: the wonders of people.

No one really says base building shouldn’t be allowed, more like that it shouldn’t boil down to Harvest Moon: The roguelike.

Start in the “sheltered” start, survive for a year and you’ll see what I mean. After a while it becomes extremely repetitive and rather pointless.
You can hunt for meat and farm plants, but what for? You can easily survive on acorns for the next century.
You can build walls and fortifications, but nothing will ever come to get impaled on those. And even if it did, it would be so much weaker than you, you could punch it to death without taking a single scratch.

90% of the game becomes irrelevant, with the 10% that remain mostly differing in names (cooked acorn meal vs meat pizza? it’s not like I’ll use that tiny morale bonus for anything…). When the relevance of choices boils down to the number of clicks to execute the choice, the best choice is that little ‘x’ in the upper right corner of the screen.

Plus, it’s not like anyone is forcing this “extreme farming” with enemies on anyone - if it got too hard, we’d just get a mod that brings back peaceful farming. Removing is easier than adding.

No one really says base building shouldn’t be allowed, more like that it shouldn’t boil down to Harvest Moon: The roguelike.

Start in the “sheltered” start, survive for a year and you’ll see what I mean. After a while it becomes extremely repetitive and rather pointless.
You can hunt for meat and farm plants, but what for? You can easily survive on acorns for the next century.
You can build walls and fortifications, but nothing will ever come to get impaled on those. And even if it did, it would be so much weaker than you, you could punch it to death without taking a single scratch.

90% of the game becomes irrelevant, with the 10% that remain mostly differing in names (cooked acorn meal vs meat pizza? it’s not like I’ll use that tiny morale bonus for anything…). When the relevance of choices boils down to the number of clicks to execute the choice, the best choice is that little ‘x’ in the upper right corner of the screen.

Plus, it’s not like anyone is forcing this “extreme farming” with enemies on anyone - if it got too hard, we’d just get a mod that brings back peaceful farming. Removing is easier than adding.[/quote]

Nope.

DDA is a post-apoc simulator, not a Roguelike. So we cater to everyone. For hardcore Roguelike players, there are quite a few mods that can crank up the difficulty–quite a few thanks to you–and that’s OK. The refugee center buys nonperishable goods specifically so people who want to go Harvest Moon may do so; folks who want to focus on other aspects may also do so.

[quote=“KA101, post:24, topic:9032”]Nope.

DDA is a post-apoc simulator, not a Roguelike. So we cater to everyone. For hardcore Roguelike players, there are quite a few mods that can crank up the difficulty–quite a few thanks to you–and that’s OK. The refugee center buys nonperishable goods specifically so people who want to go Harvest Moon may do so; folks who want to focus on other aspects may also do so.[/quote]

What’s wrong with having content-removal mods instead of having to put all the difficult stuff in mods?
Going by this logic, tank bots (and all other bots, except police ones) should be moved into a mod. People were complaining about those. Rivet’s PR (remove bots mod) didn’t get merged, though.

Difficulty mods that simply crank up numbers can’t fix things like environment being static. That is a design issue. Hordes (like zombie hordes, except not) of triffids spawning on overmap wouldn’t solve it, but would be a good step.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:25, topic:9032”][quote=“KA101, post:24, topic:9032”]Nope.

DDA is a post-apoc simulator, not a Roguelike. So we cater to everyone. For hardcore Roguelike players, there are quite a few mods that can crank up the difficulty–quite a few thanks to you–and that’s OK. The refugee center buys nonperishable goods specifically so people who want to go Harvest Moon may do so; folks who want to focus on other aspects may also do so.[/quote]

What’s wrong with having content-removal mods instead of having to put all the difficult stuff in mods?
Going by this logic, tank bots (and all other bots, except police ones) should be moved into a mod. People were complaining about those. Rivet’s PR (remove bots mod) didn’t get merged, though.

Difficulty mods that simply crank up numbers can’t fix things like environment being static. That is a design issue. Hordes (like zombie hordes, except not) of triffids spawning on overmap wouldn’t solve it, but would be a good step.[/quote]

Because we got a little tired of over half the mod list being “I don’t like X, remove it”, and put those on hold pending a separate content-removal tab so mods that actually add stuff could be properly displayed. Once that goes in, sure, remove X critter mods would go in.

Valid point, though at the moment it contradicts the whole:

Valid point, though at the moment it contradicts the whole:

Including ourselves. We don’t enjoy writing/merging mods that remove our own work, so that’s a lesser priority.

Plus, it’s not like anyone is forcing this “extreme farming” with enemies on anyone - if it got too hard, we’d just get a mod that brings back peaceful farming. Removing is easier than adding.[/quote]

harvest moon wouldnt be any worse than the euro truck simulator + zombies we have now.

i mean if hordes were fixed to not be a pointlessly grindy borefest, then i would turn them on and have every reason to have a base like i want.
instead they are either horribly broken(three hulks reaking into a noiseless shrlter at start) or jus supremely annoying(all thr posts about grinding through hordes) and therefore everything is pushed towards nomadic play.

so, yeah. cdda/harvest moon would be boring. but thats really not what we I want. I want perma-base building of some level to be a viable playstyle; and decent farming of some system logically(by my mind) plays a large factor. this doesnt mean it should be “lol-never need fear hunger again”; but there should be some benifit to making yourself a theoritxally easy targrt for wandering spawns.

./random. carry on as normal.

This, so much this. I’d really like base-building and staying in one place to be an actual, viable way to play the game (with it’s own up- and downsides). As Coolthulhu pointed out, this is mechanicly possible, but unbelievable boring, especially in the long run. And this, IMHO makes a lot of the features in the game pretty much useless, especially farming and construction.

even with hordes on? still nothing? that sucks.

Fungaloids just would make people not farm at all. Triffids turn farming from easy food to easy food, health and string :confused: though, some random mutations could be nice though to mess up with the farming.

I also think that farming yeld should be a lot lower. It is pretty rare for every seed you plant to grow into thriving crop. Farming could use some micromanagement to make less fire and forget type thing. Farming is quite a lot of work if you want to have good harvest, not something you throw out and harvest later.[/quote]

Well, the wildlife isn’t eating your crops in DDA. I had a small garden in front of my house a few years ago and at night the rabbits, and raccoon’s would come up to try and get easy food. I solved with a metal fence, and the raccoon issue tying the garden fence my pulsed 2s horse fencing @ night :wink:

The fence is high voltage for a small pulse (fills a capacitor and empties every 2s), but it’s low AMP, so it doesn’t penetrate skin unless you really hold onto it. The raccoon’s would attempt to climb and grab and then let go. Also helps I tied into the part with the lower voltage from the end bleed off.

I like the idea of animals stealing your crops, but they need to be more afraid/faster first. No point in making it so the animals eat your crops if you just sit around and harvest 15 raccoons 20 squirrels and a deer from puppy-dog-guarding a lone carrot plant.

I think having more bodies to look after would take care of the food problem. If you have to feed your followers that you pick up, suddenly having a surplus will be a little bit harder. This is of course after NPC’s get fleshed out a lot.

I feel that there should be something that makes it harder to progress as time goes on. Something like, acid rain starts after a year, so suddenly you can’t just farm wherever the fuck oyu want and have to build indoor crops, and then you really need to think about environmental protection in your clothes so you don’t melt. Actual proper hordes would be nice too, as opposed to the one or two things trickling in and occasionally busting out a window while you’re sleeping that it is now. Something to make you less god-like when you start getting 10 and 20 in skills.

But really, I think the simplest solution to the food issue would be having more mouths to feed. Maybe pets, or just your following. The goal in a survival situation like in CDDA would be to form something of a faction and try to build society back up from nothing, yes? Surviving together is far, far easier than alone.

well… yes and no… to basically everything you said. Feeding more mouths would be harder? Yes. But you also have competent people that can do ALL the farming FOR you, so you would get to go venturing and come back to a village stuffed to the gills with food…once NPC’s are worked out. But all those people in one place means that: diseases spread easier, more noise is made (attracting attention from ne’er do wells and zombies) and meaning the “town” needs more protection…which luckily it has more hands doing. It also increases the chance that someone is going to go and get greedy and try to run off with food/supplies, take control of the town from you, and/or do something irrational/crazy like shoot up the town or take hostages until someone does something they want done their way/ whatever disagreement they may have.