Farming

I would wait to implement until roaming bands of zombies or marauders exist, though you could use wandering bears and wolves. Large construction could attract unwanted guests (suppose the zombies maintain a basic understanding of “that doesn’t belong, maybe food made it”). Also, rabbits could be made a problem for those who don’t build and maintain good fences.

As for rain, I’d say only acid drizzle and rain cause damage, though, the ability to build a retractable roof could help this, also greenhouses. Water boost nutrition of plants. A certain number of time in clear to grow, sunny for a boost.

I do like the Unreal World farming a bit, but it’s more of a challenge to get started for farming than in the modern era that is Cataclysm, so as before, I would recommend using roving hostiles to make a permanent base a little difficult until you’re really setup, pits and walls and traps and such.

Though I also feel that farming would mostly be used to grow things for the morale boosting foods. All you need is meat, and if you have salt, you’re good to go.

[quote=“Rog, post:21, topic:1442”]I would wait to implement until roaming bands of zombies or marauders exist, though you could use wandering bears and wolves. Large construction could attract unwanted guests (suppose the zombies maintain a basic understanding of “that doesn’t belong, maybe food made it”). Also, rabbits could be made a problem for those who don’t build and maintain good fences.

As for rain, I’d say only acid drizzle and rain cause damage, though, the ability to build a retractable roof could help this, also greenhouses. Water boost nutrition of plants. A certain number of time in clear to grow, sunny for a boost.

I do like the Unreal World farming a bit, but it’s more of a challenge to get started for farming than in the modern era that is Cataclysm, so as before, I would recommend using roving hostiles to make a permanent base a little difficult until you’re really setup, pits and walls and traps and such.

Though I also feel that farming would mostly be used to grow things for the morale boosting foods. All you need is meat, and if you have salt, you’re good to go.[/quote]

I would love to see the roaming mobs with this, and all of the construction ideas of green houses and such.

Farmer CBMs, good idea.

Composting!

Finally something useful I can do with all of that rotten food I inevitably end up with and which will potentially become more prevalent with the upcoming updates recording status of ingredients.

Also, after the Cataclysm all the rains have increased the soil acidity allowing only the sturdiest mutated trees and shrubs to continue growing. Public works or florist shops could be raided for prefab soil and fertilizers (Also craftable using some form of Nitrogen + Ammonia in some high pressure system?).