Exhaustion Penalties

One thing I’ve noticed lately is that you can fight zombies and run around looting and crafting things for weeks at a time (taking narcoleptic naps when exhausted enough), but you can still install three or four engines into a vehicle, read a book about advanced bionic devices and learn how to make them, craft ammo and improvised explosives, and generally be optimistic and effective regardless of when the last time you slept was.

I suggest that there be more penalties in regards to certain activities such as reading or crafting things, lower stats and speed and occasional naps don’t seem to be quite enough.
Things such as having the player function with a lower effective skill level, a morale penalty that increases up to a certain point once you’re exhausted, invalidating any crafting recipe that takes longer than a certain amount of time, or dramatically increase the chance of failing a crafting recipe (possibly due to taking a nap in the middle of it).

Something to make the player actually want (or need) to sleep before crafting a mutagenic serum they plan to inject themselves with, or craft home-made tactical nuclear weapons, etc.

Crafting and reading, in particular, should suffer from excessive fatigue levels. Frankly, we ought to start capping Focus after 24 hours without sleep* (Exhausted can’t get above 60-70 or so, planning number and open to change?)

*Subject to traits/mutations, obviously. Straight time-check breaks Tireless, etc.

I like it, and would merge a good PR.

Once you’re over a certain threshold of exhaustion you’d probably start microsleeping, making you lose a few turns every now and then. Not so bad when you’re killing time back at base, but probably a bad thing when driving or fighting.

Already exists, starting at Exhausted IIRC. :wink: Rivet brought it to my attention and I wrote 'em in.

Fatique and sleepiness are one thing now. That should have been fixed long time ago, i guess.

Fatigue is overall stat which generally shows how long your body is active. Having too much fatigue should harm to stats and give moral penalties.
Sleepiness is just a stat which increases as fatigue reaches certain limit. Having too much sleepiness will have obvious consequences (“i want to sleep” messages, hallucinations and sudden falling asleep).

No need to say they are gained and recovered with different speed. Fatigue should recover much faster than sleeping when you are sleeping.

Over-exertion is already present in the pain mechanics. If you attempt to push something you’re not strong enough to move, you’ll hurt yourself. If we’re doing strain from overwork, it should be added using the existing pain mechanism. That way I can make an Aleve commercial in the Apocalypse.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:5, topic:6488”]Fatique and sleepiness are one thing now. That should have been fixed long time ago, i guess.

Fatigue is overall stat which generally shows how long your body is active. Having too much fatigue should harm to stats and give moral penalties.
Sleepiness is just a stat which increases as fatigue reaches certain limit. Having too much sleepiness will have obvious consequences (“i want to sleep” messages, hallucinations and sudden falling asleep).

No need to say they are gained and recovered with different speed. Fatigue should recover much faster than sleeping when you are sleeping.[/quote]

That’s a neat idea.