Ethics of a persistent world

Suggestion for everyone who’s bored of having immortal bases, with infinite lifespans.

A: Bring a convoy of NPC’s there, and make a roleplay!

B: BURN IT DOWN and bring NPC’s and try to rebuild it, BUT MAKE SURE TO ATTRACT HORDES FOR MAXIMUM DAMAGE!

C: Settle by the coast, and create a base you would love to live in, but MAKE NPC BANDITS ATTACK AND DEFEND FOR YOUR LIFEEEE!!!

D: Renact WW1, with NPCs!

E: Make a roman legionnary fort!

F: LEGACY GAME

G: Try to be James Bond in a base with hostile NPC’s that you spawned. (+5 XP for wearing a Dress Suit!)

H: Renact Predator!

I: Play as a werewolf using Debug mode! AND HAVE NPC’S LIVE IN YOUR BASSEEEEE!!!

K: Haul a fridge over and operate a drug smuggling/ brewery/ cartel!

M: Make your entire base out of !!STONE!! and also make a mineshaft.

N: Make a refugee camp!

O: Be a scientist in the woods, and kidnap people/things in order to become the most epic thing/cyborg ever!

P: Play D&D 4th Edition with Zombies!

Q: Become the Spetnaz, Comrade!

R: Make a library!

S: Set up a radio station!

W: Try to form North Korea!

BONUSES

Make a dirt road to said base.

Make enough landmines to put WW1 at shame.

Pretend you are the Louis and Clark expedition.

Cut down all the tree’s by your base in order to have a clear firing line.

Make a monastery!

Pretend you are the FBI, DHS, or some other Government Figure

Make Sealand.

Draw your Characters, and NPC Friends!

Become a Terrorist! Eco-Friendly Person!

Make your base a hideout for said Terrorist!

Become Seal Team Six!

Make a fortress with Machine Guns!

Make a car!

Fishing Trip!

Pretend you are Lee Everett, in the walking dead and you have SURVIVED!

Find Clementine!

Be a bodyguard to a important NPC!

DRAFT PEOPLE INTO GLORIOUS ARSTOZKA!

Make a nation, and become the ultimate ruler!

REUNITE THE SEVEN KINGDOMS!

Pretend every city is a nation, and set up a GLORIOUS REPUBLIC!

Pretend you are a dwarf.

Make a nation out of human/wolf hybrids!

Pretend bandits are rival civs.

(I won’t be on for a while after this post.)

Just play as you like. I for one never ever even considered installing mods and probably never will . Some won’t play without. I don’t mind if someone savescums. Just play as you like.

I however abandoned the base building. My chars a always on the run (on foot) because a nomadic play style just does it for me. If you like (even post mortem) to stay at one place it’s not mine cup of tea.

FUGGIN’ AMAZING

I basically did this until I reached enlightenment and realized that non-attachment is the only path to serenity. Listen now, my children:

“He who, wherever he goes, who is attached to no character and to no base by ties of effort spent; who accepts the good of the RNG and the bad, neither welcoming the one nor shrinking from the other — take it that such a one has attained Perfection.” --Mu

Also, at some point, one realizes the subtle truth that this game truly begins, not when you have everything, but when you have nothing left to lose. When you’re at 50 pain, with a broken arm, and all the clothes on your back broken and torn, and your knees shivering in the winter cold; out of ammo, water, food, hope, surrounded by Zeds, abandoned by the NPC’s, reeling from the terror of extinction, troubled by the fact that you turned on world deletion after death, and you decide at this moment, despite everything, despite the rebel’s whore (which is Fortune), that, screw it–I’m surviving.

And you do.

Then that one moment…is like the radiance of a thousand op characters. And you have had fun, transcending worlds.

That was like a lesson in gaming Buddhism right there.

[quote=“bahihs, post:24, topic:7860”]I basically did this until I reached enlightenment and realized that non-attachment is the only path to serenity. Listen now, my children:

“He who, wherever he goes, who is attached to no character and to no base by ties of effort spent; who accepts the good of the RNG and the bad, neither welcoming the one nor shrinking from the other — take it that such a one has attained Perfection.” --Mu

Also, at some point, one realizes the subtle truth that this game truly begins, not when you have everything, but when you have nothing left to lose. When you’re at 50 pain, with a broken arm, and all the clothes on your back broken and torn, and your knees shivering in the winter cold; out of ammo, water, food, hope, surrounded by Zeds, abandoned by the NPC’s, reeling from the terror of extinction, troubled by the fact that you turned on world deletion after death, and you decide at this moment, despite everything, despite the rebel’s whore (which is Fortune), that, screw it–I’m surviving.

And you do.

Then that one moment…is like the radiance of a thousand op characters. And you have had fun, transcending worlds.[/quote]

Words cannot adequately describe how inspiring this is.

This sort of thing I’m conflicted about.

On the one hand, it’s techincally fair. I mean there are balance issues I don’t agree with and sometimes I decide, you know what, no. I am not going to be run down by a zombear this early on, I am not dying day one AGAIN. And then I open the options and hit ‘remove all monsters’ and stomp on its camping corpse for the hell of it.

But I feel like it loses something when I do that. I’ve scraped by inches from death before, and I mean yeah I’ve died right afterwards, sure, but…idk. In a complete game I’d come to regret doing it but right now it feels like there’s just too much STUFF fucking everywhere to not sometimes come down and say, ‘You no what, no. This isn’t reasonable. It should happen differently.’

I suppose my limit to that is I can’t actually save the character when they are killed, and I refrain from spawning in items for them (unless it’s at the start to fit their character, and then it can only be asthetic and I can’t use the original stuff I dumped).

…wish I could pick which monsters to kill. I’ve ended up slaying half a town’s worth of zombies that way before. Wasn’t happy about it.

@Buddah
But what if you die though?

I just play something else for a month and come back to 20% new loot that coders add haha.

[quote=“Raskulle, post:28, topic:7860”]@Buddah
But what if you die though?

I just play something else for a month and come back to 20% new loot that coders add haha.[/quote]

Re-roll my child, re-roll…

Whatever floats your boat. I would probably do the same several times until I’m bored enough by it.

If you get bored you can always transfer your char to another world.