Er....help?

So I just joined the forums and downloaded the game but I am having trouble figuring out the controls and how on earth I make the game full screen? Is there a manual or something I have missed?

The screen starts out quite small for me so any help/advice would be great thanks :slight_smile:

first thing to do would be to press ?

it has all the info you will need.

read up a bit, then come up with more questions…

welcome to the forums.

PS. you should be able to change fullscreen/window size from the options…

Yeah clearly this game isnt for me. Designed by idiots. Goodbye.

And please do let the doorknob sodomize you on the way out.

Please try not to trip on the bodies as you step out the door.

cataclysm is realy easy to learn game but try play something more simple first like rogue survivor or doomrl

try graphics options to turn fullscren or increase screen size in window mode

This fucking guy.

COD fanboi detected.

This is one of the reasons why i love reading forums

i can think of four games i initially quit just because i couldn’t figure out how to play, then returned to them, read manual/wiki and finally loved them:

championship manager (00 - 01) - this shouldn’t be on the list, but back then i was impatient.
hoi2
df
and cataclysm.

add to these deus ex, and you get something close to my top five list of games :slight_smile:

designed by idiots indeed. :slight_smile:

[quote=“jcd, post:9, topic:7585”]i can think of four games i initially quit just because i couldn’t figure out how to play, then returned to them, read manual/wiki and finally loved them:

championship manager (00 - 01) - this shouldn’t be on the list, but back then i was impatient.
hoi2
df
and cataclysm.

add to these deus ex, and you get something close to my top five list of games :slight_smile:

designed by idiots indeed. :)[/quote]

I have had pretty much the same experience with those three games as well. Took me about half a year to figure out HoI2 naval battles.

The Savage Empire. Man I loved that game, but it wasn’t until I actually started reading the dialogue from other characters and looking at the map (A REAL map, a real frigging printed map you could put on the wall and mark locations and fold up, back when they actually put cool stuff in computer game boxes) that I realized what I was supposed to be doing.

Protip: It’s free on GOG. Seriously. Go get that shit. And Martian Dreams.

[quote=“jcd, post:9, topic:7585”]i can think of four games i initially quit just because i couldn’t figure out how to play, then returned to them, read manual/wiki and finally loved them:

hoi2
df
and cataclysm.

designed by idiots indeed. :)[/quote]

Welp, I love every game you mention, but never played HoI2, think this weekend, I gotta give it a try. Sounds like I should.

In that case, be sure to get Darkest Hour. It’s the most recent and (in my opinion) the best version of HoI2. Made by the community, for the community; similarly to one zombie apocalypse game I know of.

Took me a while to get acquainted with Dwarf Fortress, despite being an experienced roguelike and MUD player.
Cataclysm is very very easy as far as roguelikes go. As are most text games in fact.

The most pointlessly complicated game isn’t even a text game.
(I’m speaking of Battlecruiser 3000AD, et al. But I would have loved it too, if it actually had some content in addition to the overly complicated game mechanics.)

quite agree with edm. DH is the best version out of the box, and has loads of great mods.

You could also try Arsenal of Democracy, just to play the amazing CORE2 mod, that is not available for DH. Imo, AoD is inferior to DH otherwise, though with it i had a blast sinking the US and Royal navies with my Super-Heavy Battlecruisers as zee Germans. :slight_smile:
Also fighting the UK, USA, AUS, India, Sov.Union and China single-handedly as Japan, and incorporating everything from Boston to Beiping to Kazan into the greater Japanese co-prosperity sphere. The rest became Germany and then we fought between ourselves for supremacy, at which point the game became unplayable due to massive amounts of units on the screen.

(both DH and AoD are commercial forks of HoI 2)

PS. if you do play HoI2 or DH, be sure to check out the Fallout and Kaiserreich mods.

Minecraft anyone? Especially in its early versions.
Go and try to figure out what to do without wiki.

[quote=“BigLie, post:16, topic:7585”]Minecraft anyone? Especially in its early versions.
Go and try to figure out what to do without wiki.[/quote]

lol no problem only

• redstone
  • mining better things than iron
  • making nether portal
  • other more advanced stuff like nether hub
    is problem

Well that was a completely unwarranted response to friendly instructions.