Enhancement of message log with colour-coding or something like that

Of all the suggestions about different items or balancing or other mechanics etc etc, I think there is one seemingly simple (to me as a mere player, at least) yet highly important thing that could REALLY do with a review / overhaul.

The humble message box.

This comes to me mostly from engaging in a lot of melee combat, where I don’t stop to read every message. I think that would be a little ridiculous. But you kind of have to, or at least scan it every few button presses. Or otherwise check over your equipment often, for example for armour that’s getting broken or for status effects.

The message log could be made much more useful perhaps by colour-coded messages. You’d notice a different message colour out of the corner of your eye and stop to take a look…otherwise you can keep on swinging knowing nothing bad is happening hehe.
Some ideas/examples:
Red; you’re getting wounded
Darker red; something more serious or infliction of a status effect.
Green; damage against enemies
Blue; updates about items being damaged or something

Thoughts?

I kinda like it.

Definitely a good idea, though it would take some tweaking to get colors that worked nicely and weren’t too distracting.

For sure, coloured text can be a pain to work with sometimes. It wouldn’t necessarily have to be bright or saturated, just enough of a difference to make you take notice that something has changed, perhaps. While not being distracting… :confused: sounds a little contradictory, huh. Whatever colours are best, too, I just picked them somewhat randomly :wink:

Unless anyone has any other ideas floating around?

The idea is similar to the boy who cried wolf concept. If the colors you choose are too bright and flashy, then it becomes difficult to tell the difference between sort of important ones (damage against enemies) vs. the really important ones (extreme damage against yourself).

+1 Having all messages in red is kinda weird.
My personal reference:
Red: Enemy attack, harmful effects (explosions)
Dark red (Should be rare): Like red, but for when you are gravely wounded or suffered a devastating attack.
Blue: Items interaction (You drink your water)
White/Green: Ambient, surroundings, sound (You hear a SMASH from the north)

Ew, not green for everyday text.

Hey, this is something that could be helpful if it’s user-configurable. Fixed colors mean that colorblind folks can’t see certain messages.

And that means Cata becomes even less accessible to colorblind folks. Rivet et al have enough trouble playing the game already.

Let’s not use a fixed scheme here.

[quote=“KA101, post:8, topic:4743”]Hey, this is something that could be helpful if it’s user-configurable. Fixed colors mean that colorblind folks can’t see certain messages.

Let’s not use a fixed scheme here.[/quote]

+1.

I am all for color-coding a bit, but not over the board. Red for battle messages and dark red for critical (bite wounds!!!) is enough.

I would like to see this as I have a color distinguishing issue.

[quote=“KA101, post:8, topic:4743”]Hey, this is something that could be helpful if it’s user-configurable. Fixed colors mean that colorblind folks can’t see certain messages.

And that means Cata becomes even less accessible to colorblind folks. Rivet et al have enough trouble playing the game already.

Let’s not use a fixed scheme here.[/quote]

Very good point, one that I hadn’t thought of. See, open forums for this stuff is great! Then it’s up to the user, if you don’t care for it and are happy with everything in gray or whatever then you can keep it that way…but if not, having the option would be fantastic.

I don’t know how much coding would be involved, though, tbh.