Enfunments

• bows
    instead of (0), show the number of arrows remaining. it goes to 0 soon enough
    show the weapon in red or something when the str req isnt met

• the safe-mode warning
    add auto-go-away when i’ve killed the monster. its annoying as heck with ranged weapons of any sort
    also make it go away when i last got it while standing on stairs. as is i can move up/down and the warning stays when i’m on the new level

• cars
    as is stepping on the leftmost seat (in any row?) will ask if you want to enter the vehicle. this should only happen when there are controls on/under the seat.

• y/n prompts.
    i hate them. can’t the work like the main menu, with the list of choices? and esc and letters other than yes meaning no. you hear it all the time, here it was again :slight_smile:

• USE TOOLS FROM THE GROUND

• APPLY TOOLS FROM THE GROUND

these last two are why i posted in this section to begin with. … think about the water boiling simulation … think about … uh … Typing Tutor … think about how often you make micro-movements with your head to coordinate tools and all.

by letting one use dropped tools the game would let me make ‘machines’ aka work-areas. i put some tools down and spray up the floor to in the tiles around me to say what needs to go there when they are empty. then i step on the ‘machine’ and start crafting. … voila. no more make-work-inventory shuffling. seriously, i have enough tools and enough rooms to fabricate and store in.

also in cars! … why do i need to pick up the friggn geiger counter to check myself only to put it back down??? if APPLY FROM GROUND works ONLY on the tile i’m on, then i would get instant access to tools 0…9. in my mind and hands that makes for much much more fluid gaming

• map
    press once to open, press twice to close again.

• scent-map
    you’re making me type in a number. aaargh.
    just go away when i press any non number.
    better yet, remember the last number

• i)nventory @)item S)plit
    who wants to cary 800 arrows, 5000 aspirin? 'nough said.

• Crafting ? item info
    press ? on an item and loose your place in the list when you close 'the help’
    i have spare variables in case anyone needs them. display-top, display-row.

• paint it red. Spray cans.
    like the prefix for the maps, lemme put a letter/number in the text to pick colors.

• removing graffiti
    "you pour 1 unit of bleach into your tin can and spill it on the ground"

did i mention that already?

• ‘#’# multiselect all in an inventory category
    less pain when swapping items or moving stuff around

• access-trunk.
    so yeah, one more f* keybind. keybinds drive me batshit crazy but i trust that with the system the way it is an access-trunk key would actually be meaningful.

You can already use tools from the ground. I.e when making clean water, all you need to have on you is an empty container, you can use the nearby hotplate and toilet. Same goes for the rest of the tools. Not sure why you would want to actually 'a’pply a tool from the ground though.

Splitting -> D -> number -> Enter

Just use 'e’xamine to access a trunk.

[quote=“Sep <— Butthurted :3, post:1, topic:534”]* map
press once to open, press twice to close again.

• Crafting ? item info
    press ? on an item and loose your place in the list when you close 'the help’
    i have spare variables in case anyone needs them. display-top, display-row.

• ‘#’# multiselect all in an inventory category
    less pain when swapping items or moving stuff around[/quote]
    Really hard to press ESC, isnt it? Not totally necesary. I guess they’ll add it sometime

So a “Craft-helper”? A help menu that shows how to craft EVERYTHING? Not necessary. You unlock recipes whenever you level up your skills

Theres a key for that. Somewhere.

yes hotplates do that, but screwdrivers/soldering for electronic do not. oops, i stand corrected.

as for applying, think radiation check, same with eating/drinking/meds

maaaaaan. i’ll try that asap. if it works, cool. is it documented? its not been obvious to me at all, but i’ll bite

PgUp::send <
PgDn::send >
Home::send ,y
End::send ,n

try this ahk snippet. you might like it.
me, i dont like pressing two keys instead of one

yes it is. you get a lot more flow and ‘usability’ if you do away with the need for hand/eye movements in exactly this sort of context.

nonono, not a craft helper. there’s an option to ‘?’ inspect what it is that you’re making when you’re in that menu - looking at new recipes. it right then and there that you completely loose your place when you close that screen.

btw, like the map, that screen closes with esc/enter but ‘?’/key-to-invoke again would let you keep your hands where they are.

your idea of ‘craft-helper’ … grayed out choices that you could inspect before you ever unlock the recipe is a good one though :slight_smile: it may be “Not necessary.” for you, but it would make the game self-documenting in ways that should mesh well with the upcoming data-driven recipe definition work

MORE enfunments.

• save a keybind! unify the ^ & $ menus.

on foot, you can wait and sleep from the same key.

in vehicles, you could 's’brake and 'e’xit from that menu.

-this would document the ‘s’ key
-it would allow you to 'e’xit drive mode without having to leave your seat, and possibly, like in one of my cars, having to open/close a door.
-it would allow one to add a ‘close all doors’ function. if i’m at a site for any length of time all the doors will eventually be open. and its annoying to walk over the driver seat just to so you can close door
-one could possibly link weapons control … on/off … to the $ menu, creating even more ‘flow’

There is a brake key. I forget what it is.
Why the heck do you want a crafting list? Much more fun seeing what you can make at that skill.
I do not understand why you don’t like the E->u-> things.
I like the apply items from the ground. Some of them anyways. Like checking radiation levels but not cutting up a piece of clothing or modding a gun.

[quote=“Sep, post:6, topic:534”]MORE enfunments.

• save a keybind! unify the ^ & $ menus.

on foot, you can wait and sleep from the same key.

in vehicles, you could 's’brake and 'e’xit from that menu.

-this would document the ‘s’ key
-it would allow you to 'e’xit drive mode without having to leave your seat, and possibly, like in one of my cars, having to open/close a door.
-it would allow one to add a ‘close all doors’ function. if i’m at a site for any length of time all the doors will eventually be open. and its annoying to walk over the driver seat just to so you can close door
-one could possibly link weapons control … on/off … to the $ menu, creating even more ‘flow’[/quote]

I’m so confused. How is merging sleeping with waiting a good idea? It just means an extra keypress when you want to sleep, which is inevitably going to happen more often than when you want to wait.

The same applies to driving. You shouldn’t have to go through a menu to exit a vehicle. That’s too many keypresses for such a routine action.

For the not getting asked to sit in a seat without controls, you can drop items into a seat like you can with trunks, if there is an item in a seat you can’t sit in it, so it won’t ask. I think eventually there will be a reason to sit in seats other than the drivers seat, but I agree for now it’s pretty useless.

Waiting and sleeping being the same key could work if done well I suppose. But we don’t really seem short on keys at the moment.

I wouldn’t want to have to go through a menu to hit the e-brake, and I’m not certain I understand the one for exiting a car. You can already stop driving a car without leaving the seat just by hitting e and Y to confirm. The only time I’m aware of that it kicks you out of the seat is if the car is still moving.

Trying to exit a moving car really needs a second confirmation though, or to use a different key for ‘Y’ when the car is moving.

Seeing as I’m not a “good” player-of-roguelikes, I make do with the numpad and requiring caps for Y/N works fine for me.

Discovering new recipes as you get the skill to make them is neat-o when you’re on books. Once you’re grinding, though, it helps to know when there’s no point in doing more. (For instance, I don’t think there’s anything for Cooking 7. (Maybe heroin, but IIRC that’s hugely inefficient in terms of the oxycodone use. Really ought to be able to make opium from the mutated poppies & refine that.) But the good stuff opens up at 8. Players who didn’t read the wiki & play with rust might decide to stop there rather than continuing to grind.

Putting in a short “thought-bubble” might help. Examples from the Cooking scenario: “You feel like you’re almost onto something big” or, if one’s read the Science Lab logs, “You think you’re starting to understand how they made that XLwhatzit stuff”. Things like that might be a good compromise for skill-gain where there’s no actual recipes to go with.

[quote=“Benedict, post:8, topic:534”]I’m so confused. How is merging sleeping with waiting a good idea? It just means an extra keypress when you want to sleep, which is inevitably going to happen more often than when you want to wait.

The same applies to driving. You shouldn’t have to go through a menu to exit a vehicle. That’s too many keypresses for such a routine action.[/quote]

Hi Benedict, i’m not suggesting that anything gets taken away.

i’m looking to give a secondary path to e)xiting and s)breaking by having these keys show up in the $ menu. in my world that would be thought about as making the program slightly more self-documenting. with ‘s’ being completely undocumented in 02, i would ‘make a high priority ticket’ for this … just so that people do not get stranded without that bit of info. ok? its just meant as an aid. besides, the menu is all to simple for what it could do. that’s why i suggested a ‘close/open all doors’ action and something along the lines of turret control to be added there for general easing of routine/water-boiling actions.

also, sleeping. remember the confirmation? you press $y to sleep.
now, if we got rid of the ^ menu and put those choices under $ (which is already a menu key that we use for vehicles) then you could press, say, $$ to sleep without any confirmation. keeps your hands in one place too.

@ Greiger — putting big volume items into the seat to the left is a great idea. I had it full of meds, first aid, dog whistle, cigs, and little stuff like that so i never put it together. but its a work-around to a problem that only exists because we think there may be a reason to sit in the left-most seat in a car??? hard to fathom a reason for what that could be

about crafting recipes… has anyone ever tried the ‘?’ key on the last item in a list??? ok guys, open up the menu, press up to get to the last item then press ‘?’. ok? thats the info about the item. now make that screen go away and look where your cursor is. its NOT where you had it before you pressed ‘?’. i’d call that a bug, kinda, cause it breaks expectations. so it needs tracking the top and current item, and then render you back there.

@ Tase – you wrote “Splitting -> D -> number -> Enter”

please elaborate and explain again how i can split a stack. i’m not seeing it.
when i press ‘D’ i get the multidrop menu.

(even if there is some enlightening explanation coming, and i hope it exists, 'S’plitting a stack would have a natural home on the 'i’nventory item actions menu. i think it should show up there)

p.s. AHK

;; Cataclysm DDA ;; AHK generics

#r::		; reload this script, edit on fail
Reload		; will restart the script if it parses
Sleep 1000 	; so wait for the parser here
#e:: Edit	; edit this script, manually or on fail
return		; hacks failed reload to exit after edit

;; Cataclysm DDA ;; 02 keymap extensions

#If WinActive("ahk_class CataCurseWindow") and WinActive("Cataclysm")

PgUp::send <
PgDn::send >
Home::send ,n
End::send ,y
Delete::send {,}

this works well for my hands

i the multidrop menu you type a # (how many you drop) then what you drop. thats how you split.