Bunch of bugs and oversights

Feature request or i just missed a feature somehow:

• It is annoying to pressing 'g’et key or open A.I.M. just to see the items around me when i’m next to a closed furniture. A continuously working item list similar to the shift+v item list would be welcome.
  • Is there a way to open a container and put its content into the inventory? I use AIM and i have to put an MRE bag into my inventory, open it, drop the needed items from it to the ground, move the MRE bag to the ground and move the needed items from the ground to my inventory. It would be good to enter into a container like you enter into a directory in a file manager program. Or just a ‘put it into the inventory’ option.
  • I would like to cover a pit with plank or planks to walk over it. (i see someone just asked for it too :smile:)

Oversights/Bugs

• i can read the content of a book in smoke of a smoker zombie.
  • can’t press escape for options or for save/exit while sleeping.
  • when i try to modify a clothes, i can’t examine the greyed out options if there is a selectable option.
  • in the AIM when i move an object and have to select the destination (because the destination window is “all-9-fields”), numpad doesn’t works.
  • Why cutting the metal parts from a jackhammered wall create a deep pit? I think it makes no sense, it is annoying, but at least i fill the pit with an activated entrenching tool, which is a bug.
  • item selection sanity check needed for some items. Like i had two fully plate packed US ballistic vest, also several ballistic plates. When one plate shattered in a vest, i tried to insert a new plate into it, but the game always selected a plate from the other vest. I had to move the full vest away from the “selection bubble”, to solve this problem.
  • Auto-move has no ignore option for sounds, a window bashing monster in a dark lab stops the character at every steps.
  • The auto-move when a monster spotted ask about cancel, but the character stops anyway because of the safe mode.
  • I can’t damage a broken console with a machete.
  • Similar items sometimes not grouped into one item in AIM. I presume they packed into different pockets for no reason? When i examine an item, it would be good to see which pocket it is in.
  • 'w’ield and 'W’ear commands should use assigned keys to items on the ground too.
  • practice progression item which cannot be disassembled after i stopped practicing. I have to finish it to get back some items.
  • When i tried to pick up something from the ground with the 'g’et key, there was a wield and wear options when there was not enough space in the inventory. It is gone now and that is annoying.
  • I don’t know why, but when i press the x key to look around the cursor is not on my character but one tile left to it. OS: Win 10, Terminal 240x67.

Is there a way to open a container and put its content into the inventory? I use AIM and i have to put an MRE bag into my inventory, open it, drop the needed items from it to the ground, move the MRE bag to the ground and move the needed items from the ground to my inventory. It would be good to enter into a container like you enter into a directory in a file manager program. Or just a ‘put it into the inventory’ option.

1. Put all the Containers in one spot, use [g] on the tile they’re in and choose whichever contents you want.
  2. [U]nload the containers into your inventory.

Although I think 1 is the best one because you get to choose what you want and leave the unwanted items on the floor.

I would like to cover a pit with plank or planks to walk over it. (i see someone just asked for it too)

Break furniture (or just get a plank on you in some capacity), [e]xamine the pit and you can cover it (you get a prompt). Unless you mean an actual Ledge, then that isn’t possible and I agree, it should be.

i can read the content of a book in smoke of a smoker zombie.

May sound weird, but you can also do that IRL. Smoke can be think, but it’s mainly a breathing hazard, not an eye-sight hazard, unless it’s in a fully closed room. Plus smoke (just like heat) rises, so it’s safe to assume that at your character’s height it’s low enough to disturb his breathing, but not his sight.

can’t press escape for options or for save/exit while sleeping.

Not an oversight. The moment you fall asleep, the game is simulating the world, the only ways to cancel that are by quitting the game (why would you do that?), being woken up by a Zombie or a loud enough sound (alarms are good for that). If your options are the default ones, the game always saves at least once during a sleep cycle.

• Why cutting the metal parts from a jackhammered wall create a deep pit? I think it makes no sense, it is annoying, but at least i fill the pit with an activated entrenching tool, which is a bug.

Refer to the Plank-on-Pit comment above. Why it creates a pit? Unsure how that works myself, but the pits are plankable.

item selection sanity check needed for some items. Like i had two fully plate packed US ballistic vest, also several ballistic plates. When one plate shattered in a vest, i tried to insert a new plate into it, but the game always selected a plate from the other vest. I had to move the full vest away from the “selection bubble”, to solve this problem.

[i]nventory > select the vest you want to refill (make sure it’s the actual one you want to refill) > [i]nsert. If the plates you have available are in another vest, you have to unload the surplus vest first, and then do the steps mentioned above. Okay , you don’t “have” to, but it’s faster that way.

Auto-move has no ignore option for sounds, a window bashing monster in a dark lab stops the character at every steps.

Automove in Labs (like very much most things) is kinda broken because of how old the labs are (in terms of code). Same thing with peeking. A Window Bashing Monster won’t stop you from Automoving, it will just prompt you if you want to stop or not. (Y)es, (N)o, (I)gnore already exists. The only way it cancels the automove is if the monster is in your way or adjacent to you in a way that guarantees it will have a turn to attack you or if the AI detects an obstacle in the way.

The auto-move when a monster spotted ask about cancel, but the character stops anyway because of the safe mode.

Turn off safe mode, you don’t need it when you’re automoving because of the notifications and prompts.

I can’t damage a broken console with a machete.

You can if you have enough strength to offset the lack of Bash Damage of the Machete - Machete has Bash 5, and Cut 21, seeing it is a Cutting Weapon, not a Bashing Weapon. To [S]mash furniture you need a minimum amount of Bash Damage in the weapon you’re using. A plank, a pipe, a Stick for example on a Strength 8 character all have enough bash damage to destroy most furnitures, including consoles. Again: Strength and Weapon’s Bash Value play a role.

Similar items sometimes not grouped into one item in AIM. I presume they packed into different pockets for no reason? When i examine an item, it would be good to see which pocket it is in.

Not sure if [e]xamining in AIM shows the location, but in your [i]nventory menu it always shows you provided it’s in the same “page” as the “worn” category items.
Nevertheless, that’s not a bug. Several items might be the same thing, but have different amounts (a bottle of Antiseptic with 1 and a bottle of antiseptic with 5 are two different items).

• 'w’ield and 'W’ear commands should use assigned keys to items on the ground too.

not sure what you mean here. You can Wield and Wear items from any of the 9 tiles surrounding and under your character.

practice progression item which cannot be disassembled after i stopped practicing. I have to finish it to get back some items.

How is that a bug/oversight?

I don’t know why, but when i press the x key to look around the cursor is not on my character but one tile left to it. OS: Win 10, Terminal 240x67.

Not a bug/oversight. Your camera is not centered. Check your keys and look for “center camera” or something similar. I believe the default key is “;”.

Thanks for taking the time for such a complete response @AcidAntOnAMinefield, I learned 3 new things there! I do have a few additions/caveats.

First, I learned a lot once I finally started reading the tips on the game’s main menu screen. There’s just no way to know how to do certain things without having someone tell you. I think expanding the tips might be helpful.

Is there a way to open a container and put its content into the inventory? I use AIM and i have to put an MRE bag into my inventory, open it, drop the needed items from it to the ground, move the MRE bag to the ground and move the needed items from the ground to my inventory. It would be good to enter into a container like you enter into a directory in a file manager program. Or just a ‘put it into the inventory’ option.

MREs may not be broken, per se, but are definitely horribly and unnecessarily over-complicated and could handle a tweak. I have been using the [d]rop menu, using the “<” button to unhide contents to separate the wheat from the chaff. I’m going to try the [g]et menu method.

[i]nventory > select the vest you want to refill (make sure it’s the actual one you want to refill) > [i]nsert. If the plates you have available are in another vest, you have to unload the surplus vest first, and then do the steps mentioned above. Okay , you don’t “have” to, but it’s faster that way.

Does the [i}nsert code use a different item selection algorithm than other methods? The point was not about getting the item into the right pocket, but getting the program to do a better job at picking the specific item to put into that pocket. Item selection sanity checks are a real problem, and people have tried (are trying?) to get a handle on that, but it evidently isn’t a simple fix. It’s always a good thing to point it out. Squeaky wheels and all that.

'w’ield and 'W’ear commands should use assigned keys to items on the ground too.

Is this referring to hotkeys either automatically assigned to favorites, or that you have assigned to inventory items using the ‘=’ key? If so, then I agree. Somewhat. Hotkey assignments of consumables like bandages are very inconsistent right now, seemingly to the level of specific bandages in specific pockets, or maybe pockets in specific containers. It makes some sense though. Different pockets have different access times, and if you set a hotkey to your M1911, best to have the hot key always refer to the one in the holster, not the new damaged one you just put in your backpack.

practice progression item which cannot be disassembled after i stopped practicing. I have to finish it to get back some items.

Good point for all in-progress items! I have several in-progress items that will never be completed. Some started by mistake, most started to bump a skill to the next level. It would be nice to be able to disassemble them to get at least the same items back you’d get from disassembling the finished product.

hi i noticed a random bug:
i was messing around with the robust genetics trait, and i went into a hazardous waste sarcophagus to gain some mutation, i then decided to read a book while in the most radioactive tile i could find(i have ‘toggle radiation map on’)
as you can guess i become extremely weak and irradiated, so i went to LMOE shelter to rest for the night and i found some good loot in the shelter, previously i had filled my inventory with MRE packages from zombie soldiers so i decide to eat some stuff to clear up space for the loot from the shelter, as you can also probably guess i was extremely nauseous from spending 6 hrs in a hazardous waster sarcophagus, so i threw up all the food, this was all in the dark and i didnt have a flashlight, so after getting rid of some inventory space i groped around in the dark for a flashlight , when i found a electric lantern i turned it on and went back into the bedroom to sleep and discovered a circle of bile from all the food i threw up, i also noticed a circle of purple carpet in the underneath the circle of bile, as most of you know the floors of LMOE shelters are metal and when i threw up apparently it turned into pruple carpet, i can imagine how that could be extremely annoying if that happened in my base especially considering the resources need to make metal floor, or if a my base burned because the carpet is flamable . i dont knwo which step along the way lead to that glitch but i would guess that it would help people to fix it… sorry for the long story but i wanted to include as much details in case one of the devs recognized a step along the way that lead to the glitch