Enforcing the worn item layer order

The characters can wear underpants over pants, Superman style. For underpants this is no big deal, but then there are hoodies, backpacks, holsters etc.
There is no penalty for this behavior. You can acquire a gun through pants (regular holster, not some holdout variant), sneak a whole full duffel bag (two, no FOUR duffel bags!) inside a hazmat suit, wear a t-shirt over plate armor.

The problem, apart from the obvious muh realism stuff, is that it is optimal to shuffle around gear to keep stuff from getting damaged. This can get tedious early on, before you craft a whole set of indestructible armor.

Some combination of Option 2 and Option 3 would be great. Sorting clothing is really annoying and could use some automation or at the very least a UI overhaul, but people should also have the option to cosplay as superman (with penalties for elaborately ignoring logic of course).

I could have sworn that we already limited clothing order, or at least gave extra encumbrance for wearing them the wrong way, but checking the code I guess we don’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d be all for just enforcing it behind the scenes, since it makes little sense to be able to layer things like underwear on top of heavy winter coats and still retain any of the benefits of wearing them at all.

I’m for enforcing it in situations where it’s physically impossible, like wearing things over something incredibly bulky like a turnout suit or hasmat suit or duffel bag, if we can detect that situation.
Otherwise I’d just prefer to make it happen by default and discourage it from happening with something like an encumbrance penalty.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:14221”]I’m for enforcing it in situations where it’s physically impossible, like wearing things over something incredibly bulky like a turnout suit or hasmat suit or duffel bag, if we can detect that situation.
Otherwise I’d just prefer to make it happen by default and discourage it from happening with something like an encumbrance penalty.[/quote]

This is exactly my thoughts on the matter. I’d prefer the penalty be fairly small, in part because it would be very easy to stack up a LOT of them in short order.

The only thing I can think of that would be better would be penalties on getting items from storage (or penalties to how much storage you get from the item) when you have storage items in the wrong layer, but that could quickly getting CRAZY complicated to actually implement and be hard to understand for the player.

+1 to a penalty if you deliberately layer wrong, but automatically putting things on the right layer. Adding extra player actions to equipping things, or poorly-explained penalties for ‘just putting something on’ would be bad, I think.

There might also be some issues with things like putting on thermal underwear while cryo lab diving, though - there would still need to be some videogaming to wave away putting on a layer under your (several layers of) bulky winter clothing without freezing to death.