Enemies below ground visible?

this is an old one but a good one, managed to spot a seweranha which i assume must have been underground while i was in a house and my NPC companion seemed to be trying to kill a smoker zombie i’ve still never figured out if it existed or not (i’m guessing it was in a basement though), this has been a problem for quite a long time now, probably almost a year.

version(s) affected: i’ve seen this problem happen since the C stable release all the way up to the current experimental builds from just hours ago
SDL

I’ve never seen this before. Are you playing with Z-levels on?

how do i check what mods are enabled for a specific world/save? i’m pretty sure i wasn’t, but i may have enabled it actually.

It’s in the options under current world settings, I believe, rather than a mod. There is/was an option for Experimental 3D vision, while having this option on, as well. I had this problem when I enabled that, but not with just Z-Levels and the experimental vision off. Though I don’t have many hours in the game yet, so maybe it still happens with it off. I think the 3D vision states that it might be buggy, so I turned it off for now.

Sounds like your NPCs are trying to shoot something through a roof or ceiling. 3D Vision + Z-Levels will make NPCs shoot at enemies above/below them regardless of visibility.

ah ok, i do have z-levels on then.

that should be fine to turn off while still using the world? i’m pretty sure i didn’t enable the tall buildings mod.

Don’t take my opinion for truth here, but I believe you will have to generate a new world to do that. You will be able to manually transfer your character and his/her belongings (equipped only) to the new world though in case you value your current survivor.

[quote=“TooDAMNMuch, post:7, topic:13797”]ah ok, i do have z-levels on then.

that should be fine to turn off while still using the world? i’m pretty sure i didn’t enable the tall buildings mod.[/quote]

NPCs are fine with just regular Z-Levels, but don’t turn on 3D Vision if you’re planning to play with NPCs.

[quote=“Taberone, post:9, topic:13797”][quote=“TooDAMNMuch, post:7, topic:13797”]ah ok, i do have z-levels on then.

that should be fine to turn off while still using the world? i’m pretty sure i didn’t enable the tall buildings mod.[/quote]

NPCs are fine with just regular Z-Levels, but don’t turn on 3D Vision if you’re planning to play with NPCs.[/quote]

I thought I saw Chezzo say you could turn Z-Levels on and off in-game, and have enemies follow you up and down stairs by doing so. https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/6abjs3/few_questions_about_recent_stuff/dhgta92/

Not sure about the 3d Vision though, which is what is causing your problem.