Effectively gearing up, Why can't I hold all these guns!?

First time posting on these forums so here’s to not looking like a jackass fool.

I’ve finally made it past my first two days and I decided it was about time I looked for help. The issue I continually run into is finding items for storage space because equipment seems to be bountiful in every world I create but Bags seem to be the rarest thing for me.

Currently I lucked out by killing a mail carrier zombie and finding a messenger bag and a trench coat in the closet of a /very/ gun stocked basement… it’s probably a sad thing that this guy didn’t live to see the world end but at least I now have numerous upgraded firearms.

So TL:DR How do I find bags?

P.S. Also Finding clean water seems to be a real pain, any advice?

Too late. Anyway! :smiley:

Find them in houses, zombie loot, corpses, buildings, pretty much everywhere. Dude, I’m pretty sure they spawn everywhere. But crafting bags is what I do…

Loot stores. Vending machines are plentiful (Vending machines spawn in parks and gas stations, IIRC). Zombie loot. Houses. EVERYWHERE.

Read the wiki: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=How_to_survive_your_first_day:_Static_Spawn_Mode
It’s not that well updated, but basics haven’t changed.

In short: for volume problems, find a grocery cart. For clean water, craft it from regular water - ‘&’ button.

It appears as if I’ve come across a nudist colony as nearly every zombie is devoid of valuables, although I /did/ beat one zombie to death with the corpse of child zombie when my gun ran out of ammo and I accidentally threw my wood ax so not everything has been bad in this world. I’ll just have to return to my exploration for now.

I did find a shopping cart in good condition with “Enough” wheels, how would I dump my belongings into said cart so I can begin to loot the crap out of the doomsday preper’s house?

Stand next to it, then Shift+D and press the arrow in the cart’s direction and choose what you want to drop.

Ninja’d

It doesn’t actually need wheels. Wheels may help in some way, but if you can drag it it’s fine. Only part that has to stay fine is the box/basket.
You can actually destroy a whole car except its trunk tile (it’s lots of work, but it can be done) and then drag that around for 650 volume storage, though I don’t think anyone ever cared enough to try. Bland regular cars are plentiful, so don’t feel bad about wrecking them.

It doesn’t actually need wheels. Wheels may help in some way, but if you can drag it it’s fine. Only part that has to stay fine is the box/basket.
You can actually destroy a whole car except its trunk tile (it’s lots of work, but it can be done) and then drag that around for 650 volume storage, though I don’t think anyone ever cared enough to try. Bland regular cars are plentiful, so don’t feel bad about wrecking them.[/quote]

wat? its much faster to learn level 2 of mechanics from a book than smashing whole car to get 1 tile trunk

Whelp I died of death today. I managed to make it to my third day before I saw a shotgun trap and got greedy and resulted with a buckshot full of chest. Hopefully the next world has bags but now that I figured out how to grab shopping carts I think I’ll make it.

Although I think I’ll give myself some more points when I build my next character so I can actually handle traps.

You just need to spend a day or two reading books about trapping.
But shotgun traps are never worth it imo.
You saw yourself how nice finding a non-protected doomsday prepper basement is!

I was well stocked up on guns but I had an excess amount of shotgun buckshot, slugs, and fletchette but I had no shotgun so I thought what was the worst thing that could happen when I’m still in green health?

-.-

you know usually the problem is not being able to find ammo for the gun, kinda funny seeing someone have the opposite issue

You could’ve made a pipe shotgun and then turned it into a shotgun pistol. would’ve been badass.

Not if you have a sledgehammer/war hammer/fire axe and no books nearby.

I couldn’t help but laugh at that sentence.

Not if you have a sledgehammer/war hammer/fire axe and no books nearby.[/quote]
It’s even faster to just grab a shopping cart from a grocery store rather than destroy most of a car to get a trunk to drag around. This depends, of course, on the whimsy of the RNG, which can make all these strategies viable solutions in different situations.

As far as carrying stuff goes, it really depends on if you have a sewing kit/sewing books and/or a bunch of ammo.
If you have enough ammo to RAMBO your way through part of the city, you can just equip 2 of every kind of bag you have access to/can craft, and shoot everything while your back slowly disintegrates under the strain of carrying ‘All of the Things™’.
I generally take high strength in exchange for a bunch of negative traits so I can use 2 survivor duffel bags at once to carry crap around, if it takes more than 300-400 volume you’d probably want to be dragging a cargo carrier behind you or driving a lootmobile anyways.

Of course if something gets close to you your massive encumbrance leaves you at 0 everything fighting skills causing every attack to hit you and making most of your attacks miss and/or deal low(er) damage (unless you drop a bunch of your loot), but that’s the tradeoff for efficient kleptomania.