Dropping Starting Gear/Items Illuminates a room

SDL Version 0.7.1-1632-gc613180

So I found some hiking boots that fit so I decided to put those on and take off my sneakers. I decided to drop my sneakers in the basement of the evac shelter to make room for a bottle of water so I would not have to drop my weapon. Well it seems dropping the sneakers illuminated the whole basement. I picked them up then it was dark again only being able to see one square ahead. Drop them again then I could see the whole basement again.

I took the sneakers upstairs and closed all the curtains to see how far it illuminated. Once I dropped them it illuminated the whole floor, I was sure because the floor turned from grey .'s to cyan .'s. 

Well I dropped a matchbook, it illuminated the room as well. I picked it up and tryed it again (I had 2 matchbooks at this time.) It did not work. I dropped the other matchbook then it lit the room up again. I decided to pick it up and drop my jeans, it lit the room. I am guessing the items on you at start apparently illuminate the room upon dropping but other items in the world seem to work as intended.

Is that version by any chance old?

It seems to be already fixed since then

No, it’s the latest SDL experimental build as of 5 hours ago when I downloaded it unless another has been updated since. I Tried to recreate it by resetting and generating a new world but to no avail except one other time. So I must of done something to trigger it I suppose or it’s just random upon world gen that it has a chance of happening other than that no clue.

We changed the way we handle light-emitting items just recently, this is obviously tied to that.
My guess is that when it reads save data from a previous version it ends up setting the flag that makes the item glow.

Tried to reproduce; no bueno…the thing -should- be 0 by default and the json loader doesn’t touch a variable if it’s unsaved. If you encounter this and can catch it in a save, send it my way?

Stealth artifact - glowing sneakers.

Tried to reproduce; no bueno…the thing -should- be 0 by default and the json loader doesn’t touch a variable if it’s unsaved. If you encounter this and can catch it in a save, send it my way?[/quote]

Well either way it works both ways since both meanings are similar. If I happen to get another save in which it happens sure thing.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:2973”]We changed the way we handle light-emitting items just recently, this is obviously tied to that.
My guess is that when it reads save data from a previous version it ends up setting the flag that makes the item glow.[/quote]

Ah, that would make sense then. I left my sneakers in my cabin to illuminate the room with the fireplace I sleep in, apparently it stopped glowing though at some point in time. I came back and the room was dark so it has a limited time apparently but it lasted a couple in-game days anyway. I dropped my matches to see if they would still emit a light and they did…

Yeah, would be neat if they would have kept glowing after putting them back on for night anyway so I would not have to waste batteries haha. I just would drop my matchbook when I needed light if I was somewhere else. I hate exploiting things though but I figured might as well till it’s fixed haha.