Draw Your Cataclysms: "crazy" derail

KA, I don’t really understand your edit… I think “crazy” is an acceptable term for stuff like a diamond-bladed machete and a chainsaw on a stick.

Shrug It’s not like anyone was crazy enough to actually make the flying chainsaws.

I didn’t.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:2, topic:6653”]Shrug It’s not like anyone was crazy enough to actually make the flying chainsaws.

I didn’t.[/quote]

Well yeah, because they’re awful. And them chainsaws be hard to find.

Somewhat on-topic, why don’t we have a deliciously ironic gas-powered firey Fire Axe in the game, similar to the Shishkebab?

[quote=“IcedPee, post:3, topic:6653”][quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:2, topic:6653”]Shrug It’s not like anyone was crazy enough to actually make the flying chainsaws.

I didn’t.[/quote]

Somewhat on-topic, why don’t we have a deliciously ironic gas-powered firey Fire Axe in the game, similar to the Shishkebab?[/quote]
Fire Axe
"This time, it’s on fire!"

Yes please.

[quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:4, topic:6653”][quote=“IcedPee, post:3, topic:6653”][quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:2, topic:6653”]Shrug It’s not like anyone was crazy enough to actually make the flying chainsaws.

I didn’t.[/quote]

Somewhat on-topic, why don’t we have a deliciously ironic gas-powered firey Fire Axe in the game, similar to the Shishkebab?[/quote]
Fire Axe
"This time, it’s on fire!"

Yes please.[/quote]

Because NaturesWitness took the haters kinda personally? Was a hella lot of work to make the heatblades (two custom iuses per, not trivial for me NOW, and they were his first significant project) and folks generally blow that off as “crazy”, “crap”, and generally worthless. So why should he make any more gear?

(NaturesWitness and I go back a While. We’ve talked about this issue in-person a few times.)

:frowning:

Oh yeah, haven’t seen Nature here in a while… (I love Rising sun and all the flame weapons :D)

:frowning: indeed, I’d be bummed if somebody wrote my stuff off as crazy and dumb too.

I don’t see why the word crazy could be classified as offensive. Especially when the weapons in question have a description and other effects that imply that the item should be seen under an humorous light (fire swords, chainsaw latajangs), you are just seeing attempts to offend where I intended none. I could use: “weapons that are not covered by my willing suspension of disbelief” instead if you prefer, that is a more accurate description of what is happening, but that is a lot of extra words and may not be any less “offensive”.

On the topic of criticism thanks for pointing out that the fire axe was not recognizable.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:8, topic:6653”]I don’t see why the word crazy could be classified as offensive. Especially when the weapons in question have description and other effects that imply that the item should be seen under an humorous light (fires words, chainsaw latajangs), you are just seeing attempts to offend where I intended none. I could use: “weapons that are not covered by my willing suspension of disbelief” instead if you prefer, that is a more accurate description of what is happening, but that is a lot of extra words and may not be any less “offensive”.

On the topic of criticism thanks for pointing out that the fire axe was not recognizable.[/quote][quote=“KA101, post:5, topic:6653”][quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:4, topic:6653”][quote=“IcedPee, post:3, topic:6653”][quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:2, topic:6653”]Shrug It’s not like anyone was crazy enough to actually make the flying chainsaws.

I didn’t.[/quote]

Fire Axe
“This time, it’s on fire!”

Yes please.[/quote]

Because NaturesWitness took the haters kinda personally? Was a hella lot of work to make the heatblades (two custom iuses per, not trivial for me NOW, and they were his first significant project) and folks generally blow that off as “crazy”, “crap”, and generally worthless. So why should he make any more gear?

(NaturesWitness and I go back a While. We’ve talked about this issue in-person a few times.)

:-([/quote]

Wut.

Seriously, what.

“Crazy”=/= “Crap”. I’m almost certain that’s not what John meant when he said crazy and I definitely didn’t mean to use it in a negative connotation either. But that’s the best word for them: They’re out of this world, over-the-top, CRAZY. That is a GOOD THING. It’s the near future, I want my diamond knife and fiery baseball bat and laser blasters. It gives what would generally be a bleak, depressing game if you think too hard about it a little burst of light-heartedness when you’re blowing away otherworldly monsters with homemade fusion cannons and ferromagnetic slingshots. It makes DDA seem a little like Fallout, and I really like Fallout’s style.

I think the problem here is a misunderstanding: Many games and game creators will directly use the term “Crazy” to describe parts of their game as a selling point! For Pete’s sake, look at any trailer for Dead Rising, Fallout, Saint’s Row, Grand Theft Auto, any Role Playing Game with flashy combat graphics, 20 bucks says the trailer will prioritize all the over-the top, explosion/lasers/gore-riddled gameplay that makes non “Stop-Having-Fun” guys sit back and think “Wow, that was crazy. I want to do that too.”

What a silly thing to get offended about.

I recognized it! If it was turned a teeny little bit more to the side so the shape of the axe head is visible as opposed to just the back-spike, it might be easier for people to see.

(I stand by my opinion about the quarterstaff, though)

Folks seem to think that "crazy" is inoffensive, whether because it's a positive thing or merely a neutral adjective

Some uses and in some contexts, yeah. Here, it’s a good way to get your work modpacked/blacklisted.

More generally, it’s also used to indicate that folks are less trustworthy, are not to be taken seriously, are a significant safety risk, and/or are otherwise not entirely “people”.

KA101 shrugs

I used “stuff (John Candlebury) doesn’t like” as a value-neutral replacement, so that doesn’t offend me. Wev.

[quote=“KA101, post:10, topic:6653”]

Folks seem to think that “crazy” is inoffensive, whether because it’s a positive thing or merely a neutral adjective

More generally, it’s also used to indicate that folks are less trustworthy, are not to be taken seriously, are a significant safety risk, and/or are otherwise not entirely “people”.[/quote]

Since when were we talking about “folks” being crazy? John never made any mention of his personal opinion of the fellow who added the fire weapons, and neither did I. “Crazy” was an adjective applied to the weapons themselves, as in over-the-top and unusual (though not in a negative manner).

I believe KA101 is referring to the practice of using the term “crazy” in a derogatory manner in general.
I personally didn’t take John’s comment to mean that, but it generally does have that connotation.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:12, topic:6653”]I believe KA101 is referring to the practice of using the term “crazy” in a derogatory manner in general.
I personally didn’t take John’s comment to mean that, but it generally does have that connotation.[/quote]

Wev. Can’t always tell whether the “crazy” is going positively or negatively.

I thought the crazy was the good kind of crazy. Like using frozen Tuna as a weapon in Dark Cloud. I enable or disable those weapons based on the sort of game I want, nowadays.

Draw Your Discussion About The Term “Crazy”

Man, crazy as a derogatory term. Been a loooong time.

…Shouldn’t KA’s initial post be the beginning of this derail thread, since it was responding to his post that made me begin the discussion of “crazy” in the first place? And without it in this thread my original post has no context.